• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 1080ti is too loud!

Soldato

I bought 2 of these hybrid coolers for my 980 Ti when they were selling them off for $50.00 each. Always intended to keep the 2nd unit for my future 1080 Ti upgrade and buy a reference design but ended up buying the Asus Strix with triple fans which never goes above 70 DegC and remains quiet.

Already mentioned but I personally limit all games to 75 fps and that will reduce the load on the GPU but any OC on a founders will probably always run loud.

Soldato
You could under volt it abit, and if you have performance to spare reduce the TDP to about 70%, the card will likey run @ around 1600mhz but only putting out 150-160w of heat and not 250w which means it willl run cooler and the fan run higher while not realy changing your gaming experience, unless your at 4k where generally you need all the performance you can get

Soldato
I went the custom AIO route with my reference 1080ti using my old kraken g10 bracket and corsair h55. Thought I'd give the ref cooler a chance, but gave up after about 2 minutes! Far too loud for me.

I also undervolt but don't power limit. This is by running a custom voltage curve overclock in afterburner and I hit/ maintain around 1950hz on the core at only 1.1 volts (1.5 is the default I think), so you don't have to massively hobble it and limit the power limit at all to get some lower volts and lower temps whilst still getting top performance. Doing this method shaves a good 5 degrees off I think (it's a while since I set all this up).

It's all luck if the draw though how far you can under volt individual cards and still get a good overclock.

My card hardly ever tops 60 degrees now in the most punishing games at 3440x1440. I could get temps lower but I like as quiet a case as possible so have quite relaxed custom fan curves on everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an FE and I don't find it that loud if it has the correct cooling. Open air case = dust.

I regularly took my case out into the garage to blast compressed air through it. Surprising how much comes out of the GPU where dust gets trapped on the heatsink fins. Changed my case to Be quiet 900 pro with 4x140mm intakes and 2x140 & 2x120mm exhaust fans. Clocked at 2Ghz and even in this weather wont go over 75 degrees. 1000rpm case fans set to increase off the GPU temp and these fans are quiet at max. I run a 4k monitor.

II find as the blower cards push the air out through a really un aerodynamic grille - this is what makes a lot of the noise. I've dremelled the grille out of the back before leaving a hole....much quieter.
Open case wont provide much sound dampening either where an enclosed case will. Don't think I'd buy an FE for open air case though if you wanted it on release then choice was non existent.

Soldato
You've dismissed your case as being the issue , but I'm not convinced. Could you post a couple of photos of your setup?

Also, be careful with AIO coolers, especially the single fan variants as they aren't much better than what you have currently. With water, I'd say go custom or don't bother.

Soldato
Turn volume up? Use headphones? Move PC away from you? :)
I use two 1070 Ti FE's and don't personally have a problem. Some folks are more sensitive to such noise. Most should find they'll tune out from the noise unless purposely listening for it.
Shame if it's an issue because any serious option requires spending a whole lot more £ just for a quieter card.

Associate
Also, be careful with AIO coolers, especially the single fan variants as they aren't much better than what you have currently. With water, I'd say go custom or don't bother.
lol, Ymmv but I've put a AIO with 120mm rad on a MSI 980Ti Gaming and Titan X Maxwell, saw no less than a 20c drop under load with Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans.

Pascal boost clock works best with the GPU core under 60c at load. AIO options can perform that well with quiet fans on the rad and is a inexpensive option in the long run too, because you can reuse the AIO on many different cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
thought the nvidia stock coolers were OK for noise...was thinking of getting a 1180 blower on launch...maybe ill wait a bit longer for aftermarket.

Personally never had any issue them with stock fan profile. However said stock fan profile means temps get warm and in turn boost clock is limited compared to aftermarket design. Can check actual noise performance graphs and see as such with FE being a few DB higher under load. Its if your trying to overclock them and in turn increase fan speed things get loud. A

Associate
I suppose im used to a 980Ti whose stock temps are around 85c whereas the 1070 is only 65c so the cooling doesnt need to be quite as good on the newer generations of cards.

Soldato
I suppose im used to a 980Ti whose stock temps are around 85c whereas the 1070 is only 65c so the cooling doesnt need to be quite as good on the newer generations of cards.

True.

The MSI is the first card I've ever had where the fans don't need to be turned on except for gaming, and even then there's some older games where they never even start!

Permabanned
Watercool it once you watercool all of it you wont go back to air again. My PC on full load all i can hear is my clock ticking in the room its so quiet.

Associate
I've got a Titan XP (2016) and I had it on the stock cooler for a while. I also had a 1080 and a 980 on the stock coolers before swapping them out with the Acellero Xtreme coolers.

I've got an Acellero Xtreme IV on the Titan P at the moment and I've actually got one of the closed loop Kraken kits from here in the recent sale. Will be interesting to see how much it improves things! Even with an Acellero Xtreme IV, it can still end up at like 80 degrees!

Regarding the stock cooler, I would say if you can be bothered to change the cooler, do it. You'll be a lot happier in the long run and won't have the stock cooler driving you insane. If you're going to do this, however, keep in mind that until you've done it a few times installing the Acellero coolers can be a nightmare (make sure you get the correct hex keys to remove the stock cooler!!!!!!!!) and you might be bashing your head against the wall for a couple of hours before you figure it out.

If you're going to stick with the stock cooler, I would say take the power limit down a little. Even 5-10% won't cut off much performance, but will cut out a lot of noise. Either that or simply manually set the fan to what you can deal with (which is usually 60-70% depending on the game for me) and then the temp will be what it will be.

I would also look into 'undervolting', which as far as I'm aware on the 10 series cards can be done by using MSI afterburner to force the card to sit at a specific voltage with a specific boost clock (as long as it stays within the power limit). If you can't find any information on this, I can see what I can dig up.

Personally, I was kind of okay with the stock cooler on the 980 and 1080 (low TDP cards), but I got rid of it as quick as possible for the Titan. IMO it just can't deal with the higher TDP on the 1080ti/Titan cards very well :(

Soldato
Either a bracket & AIO or a proper watercooling loop is the way to go.
Air cooling on GPUs will always be niosy.

I used a bracket on my 290 which worked well before moving to a proper loop which I will never move back from.

Soldato
Have you make sure you case actually have decent airflow with cool air being brought into it, rather than leaving the poor card suffocating spinning the fans like crazy fighting for air?

Basically this, have to drop the case temps. I keep mine in a big closet behind a door, noise is not so big a deal. Also I use inears playing.
Ideally the CAI should be outside air not recirculated previously heated air. Colder air is denser and allows greater cooling, the fan wont need to be so high.

The air supplied within the case and the general temps is relatable as a heatsink, lower those temps first and it'll knock onto the card even when its a cheap design.

Back
Top Bottom