What have you done to your car today?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Some ***** knocked and scuffed my mirror because he was too impatient to wait behind a row of parked cars. *******.

Soldato
Got it booked in for a remap. 197 bhp with 310lb/ft torque up to 235bhp with 364lb/ft torque. Supposedly makes quite a noticeable difference to these cars :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That's a nice increase @Phemo , what car?

Stripped down my rear brakes to find one side the pads had been at an angle and been stuck in the carrier. Wondered why when hot it felt like I had a stuck caliper.

Got new discs and pads however the new pads simply do not fit in the carrier. This can be common, it's just the ears that seem too big. I've bought some files to make sure the carrier is as smooth and flat as it should be so the fitting clip sits well but I feel I might have to attack the ears too. So long as it's tight but can move I should be OK right? I don't wanna take too much off and have noisy brakes.

Associate
That's a nice increase @Phemo , what car?

Stripped down my rear brakes to find one side the pads had been at an angle and been stuck in the carrier. Wondered why when hot it felt like I had a stuck caliper.

Got new discs and pads however the new pads simply do not fit in the carrier. This can be common, it's just the ears that seem too big. I've bought some files to make sure the carrier is as smooth and flat as it should be so the fitting clip sits well but I feel I might have to attack the ears too. So long as it's tight but can move I should be OK right? I don't wanna take too much off and have noisy brakes.

I normally go for 1-2mm of vertical movement, otherwise they could become stuck when hot.

Soldato
Changed the DRL bulbs from cheap white ones that kept blowing every 6 month to some proper ones that should hopefully last now, looks odd not seeing 'pure white' when there on and back to normal orange.

Tyres finally arrived and now fitted, running PS4 and they feel completely different from the P Zero I had on.

Soldato
Over the past couple weeks:

Oil change and filter
Air and cabin filters
Coolant change
Diff oil change
New rear calipers and mounts, plus a brake hose
New front caliper mounts
New pads
Brake fluid flush
Bulb upgrades
Headlight sanding, polishing and clearcoating
Passenger footwell panel repair
Interior and exterior washed
Alloys ordered

Next is a better set of tyres once these treads wear, previous lady owner pottered about on mismatched bottom barrel tyres, then I'm done for a while! Front caliper will likely need rebuilding too, noticed the piston seal lifting.

Permabanned
Over the past couple weeks:

Oil change and filter
Air and cabin filters
Coolant change
Diff oil change
New rear calipers and mounts, plus a brake hose
New front caliper mounts
New pads
Brake fluid flush
Bulb upgrades
Headlight sanding, polishing and clearcoating
Passenger footwell panel repair
Interior and exterior washed
Alloys ordered

Next is a better set of tyres once these treads wear, previous lady owner pottered about on mismatched bottom barrel tyres, then I'm done for a while! Front caliper will likely need rebuilding too, noticed the piston seal lifting.

geez have you bought one of acme's old bangers ?

Soldato
Not done yet, but planning to pull off the rear wheels and put a lick of smooth silver on the hubs of the rear brake discs. They're letting the car down at the moment.

Soldato
geez have you bought one of acme's old bangers ?

:D 06 lexus IS250, bought at 100k in jan, it's been maintained well it's just ticked over a few servicing milestones, some that had been skipped, and also for my own peace of mind. Forgot to add changing the drive belt (which, after inspection, really didn't need doing) and silicone-ing the missing headlight door seal. Hoping I can get little more life out of this than my audi A3 where the turbo, gearbox and clutch all decided to conk out at the same time.

Soldato
All hubs now painted. First half hour was spent puzzling how to get it up to get the wheels off - first time I've jacked up this car, and it turns out (who knew?) that the C63 sills are fairly low.

I was trying to jack it up enough to get an axle stand under it, but couldn't get one end high enough by jacking the other.

Luckily, my trolley jack would just fit under the rear jacking points (wouldn't under the front) and with it jacked up fairly high, it would lift both wheels on the same side high enough to remove at that.

I've not done the best job ever, as I couldn't afford to wait 4 hours to put another coat on. But without your nose pressed into the wheel arch, it looks a hell of a lot better than when it was rusty.

Although I am wondering whether I should have gone with matt black instead of solid silver - it's a slightly brighter colour than the alloys so maybe stands out a little...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got the front bumper paint chip repaired. £60, winner...

rps20180526_195757_186.jpg

But this past week it seems my windscreen washer pump has died, fuses all ok, there's no sound from the pump at all so I'll have to jack up the car, take off the driver side wheel, take out the arch lining, unscrew the first pump which is for the windscreen washer tank (2nd one is for the headlight washers), and check to see if the filter is clogged or not. That's what the instructions online say... But as there is no sound, i'm assuming it's a gonner :(

Back
Top Bottom