The Sound BlasterX AE-5 Owners' Club

Man of Honour
Hi guys, do you know if you SQ on the AE-5 is better than on the E10k, I really like the software of the AE-5.

AE-5 uses the ES9016 DAC which is higher rated than the DAC in the E10K and has a pretty good implementation of the circuitry and opamps so almost certainly "higher quality" but the E10K would be in a similar enough ballpark some might subjectively prefer the sound signature of one or the other.

Associate
Anyone else loose Audio from the AE-5 after the latest Windows 10 update (1803)? I have and I can't get it back!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how to fix it? I've had to revert back to onboard sound in order to use my PC :( I want my AE-5 working again.

I'm running Connect 3.2.16 and latest windows update no problems, it's possible the windows update borked something. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing again the connect software?

Soldato
OP
Anyone else loose Audio from the AE-5 after the latest Windows 10 update (1803)? I have and I can't get it back!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how to fix it? I've had to revert back to onboard sound in order to use my PC :( I want my AE-5 working again.

I did. SBC seemed to set my card back to speakers from headphones.

I don't have speakers ..so stumped me for a while as I forgot about the option altogether.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Last night was the first time I couldn't pin point an area with this card. On Fortnite Save the World someone kept crying out help. It sounded like it came from some of the top floors of the building. After demolishing most of the building it turned out she was in the basement. Not sure if it was the game's directional sound or the card...

Not been having any other issues with other games.

In a way it felt like real life with the sound bouncing off the walls... until you saw it.

Soldato
OP
I've not managed to get ScoutRadar app on Android to connect to my computer. I didn't realise there was an update to SBC to allow ScoutRadar to be enabled when not on ethernet (why on earth was it ever restricted to WiFi?). I've manually updated and seen that I can now enable it, but my phone cannot see the service. SBC says all ok, firewall looks good. I can connect to the aPI too remotely (there is a WSDL - Christ what are the developer doing?!!?). But still no luck.

I've tried the only apple device we have (old iTouch) and the app doesnt even start on that.

I don't I use it, but it would be nice to try it.

Man of Honour
Have to say I've never bothered with that feature - seems a bit of a gimmick mostly as your attention would be looking elsewhere in most cases and bordering on if not a cheat in other situations.

V F

V F

Soldato
It seems the Creative forums are no more?...

http://forums.creative.com/

Notice: We have discontinued our discussion forum permanently. For customer support, please visit www.creative.com/contactus.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.

Then found on Guru3D:
spectatorx said:
Since few days creative forum was down, first thought of mine was "ok, things happen, maybe they do some changes to it, let's just wait". Today when i tried to view sound blaster forum i see message:

"Notice: We have discontinued our discussion forum permanently. For customer support, please visitwww.creative.com/contactus.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding."

Which was shocking enough, few minutes later i checked my email and found a message from creative:

"Hi,

We were recently made aware of a partial data breach of the Creative Support Forum database.

The breached data comprises:

1. Email addresses
  2. Forum user names
  3. IP addresses
  4. Encrypted passwords
To be on the safe side, we suggest that you review your online access to other websites where you use the same login details, and change them if necessary.

Meanwhile, we have taken steps to prevent further incursions and compromises to the Creative Support Forum.

As this is a standalone platform, it does not affect your access to the rest of the Creative accounts.

We regret for any inconvenience caused. Your privacy is of utmost importance to us, and we are actively taking steps to prevent such incursions from occurring in future.

In the meantime, do feel free to contact us by replying to this email if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Creative Labs Pte. Ltd."

The "funniest" part is "Meanwhile, we have taken steps to prevent further incursions and compromises to the Creative Support Forum."... by taking down forum completely. Yes, this way they 100% guarantee there will be no more hacks in future because you can't breach something what doesn't exist anymore.

That's very sad day to users of Creative sound cards and many other hardware parts from this company.

Soldato
Gripe with the Titanium HD?

Par the course I'm afraid it seems. Asus Xonar STXII is £200, their flagship card and hasn't had a driver update in 3 years. Asus and Creative seem to trade being as bad as each other when it comes to support.

Associate
Gripe with the Titanium HD?

Par the course I'm afraid it seems. Asus Xonar STXII is £200, their flagship card and hasn't had a driver update in 3 years. Asus and Creative seem to trade being as bad as each other when it comes to support.

However saying that the AE5 is CURRENTLY a quality product imo.

Soldato
So...is this a worthy upgrade to the titanium hd? My main gripe is I’m pretty sure driver support was stopped quite a while back.

I own the Titanium HD and two of the original Asus Essence ST's. The following is referring to stereo music playback only (not games), with all effects disabled.

The Creative Titanium HD is a very good indeed, however compared to the Essence ST the sound feels very slightly processed, where as the Essence is more natural and honest. The Essence ST is more like a quality CD player, sound is neutral and uncolored, and it's just outputting whatever was mastered to the source, dare I say the Essence ST is the most analog sounding of the two cards. Listen to the Titanium HD you get this very slight sense of the processing going on.

As said the Titanium HD is a very good card, and it's better then probably all the Creative cards that came before it, however for music it's not as good as the Essence ST, I know this because I listen to the cards and this is what i'm hearing.

V F

V F

Soldato
I own the Titanium HD and two of the original Asus Essence ST's. The following is referring to stereo music playback only (not games), with all effects disabled.

The Creative Titanium HD is a very good indeed, however compared to the Essence ST the sound feels very slightly processed, where as the Essence is more natural and honest. The Essence ST is more like a quality CD player, sound is neutral and uncolored, and it's just outputting whatever was mastered to the source, dare I say the Essence ST is the most analog sounding of the two cards. Listen to the Titanium HD you get this very slight sense of the processing going on.

As said the Titanium HD is a very good card, and it's better then probably all the Creative cards that came before it, however for music it's not as good as the Essence ST, I know this because I listen to the cards and this is what i'm hearing.

This was why I wanted to go for the STX II but what good is good hardware if it's had no driver updates in 3 years.

Man of Honour

You'd probably find the AE-5 sounds very processed then - a good bit of that with the Titanium HD is the LME49710 opamps on the output (and the treble on the JRC2114 or whatever it is on the IV) - the AE-5 uses the LM4562 which is basically the same internally as the LME49710 some slight tweaks aside that don't really effect sound quality.

Soldato
This was why I wanted to go for the STX II but what good is good hardware if it's had no driver updates in 3 years.

My advice is buy a DAC and power it from the motherboard S/PDIF out, of course this is for basic 2.0 sound, for 3d/games/digital surround the Creative card would be better.

The following will sound crazy but it's the real truth.

I have a Pioneer DAC/AMP that was produced in 1991 making it 27 years old. The sound quality from that Pioneer DAC/AMP is so close to the Asus ST that even I would struggle to separate them.

Over the years I've had most everything included a Gravis Ultrasound, and AWE32's, every card suffered the same eventual fate where the drivers are no longer updated.

However there will always be drivers for digital output, so if you buy a quality DAC just like my Pioneer Amp/DAC almost 30 years from now it could still be in use.

Don't get me wrong I love sound cards, it's exciting installing them in a system and hearing them for the first time, also they have always been better for games due to on-board hardware. However if 2.0 is the priority then external DAC is way to go.

Last edited:
Associate
Great deal on the AE-5 at the moment, you can get 35% off sitewide with code SUMMERSW35. Just ordered and totalled to around £103 with a free sound blaster inferno. Went for the Pure edition as the RGB was too tempting, only £83 if you go for the black edition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom