• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
I'm still running on some pretty ancient drivers - 385.xx or something IIRC.

Thinking of moving to the 397.64's tonight, as I'd like to give Shadowplay a try - is there anything to look out for when using GFE for the first time? I'm aware that it tries to offer 'recommended settings' for games which I'd like to avoid.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm still running on some pretty ancient drivers - 385.xx or something IIRC.

Thinking of moving to the 397.64's tonight, as I'd like to give Shadowplay a try - is there anything to look out for when using GFE for the first time? I'm aware that it tries to offer 'recommended settings' for games which I'd like to avoid.

Read carefully and don't be mad rush clicking.

Caporegime
GeForce Game Ready v397.93 WHQL

Game Ready
Provides the optimal gaming experience for The Crew 2 Closed Beta and State of Decay 2.

New Features

• Added support for CUDA 9.2.
Application SLI Profiles Added or updated the following SLI profiles:

• DRG Initiative
  • Star Wars: Battlefront II
3D Vision Profiles Added or updated the following 3D Vision profiles:

• The Crew 2 - Good
Software Module Versions

• nView - 149.21
  • HD Audio Driver - 1.3.37.4
  • NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.17.0524
  • GeForce Experience - 3.14.0.139
  • CUDA - 9.2
Fixed Issues in this Release
  • [Notebook][GeForce GTX 870M]: GPU acceleration is being used for Windows Explorer. [2003577]
  • [SLI][Steam]: Steam must be closed to enable or disable SLI mode. [2091966]
  • [Surround][Digital Vibrance]: Digital Vibrance setting is not persistent, and reverts to the default setting when rebooting with Surround mode enabled. [2097240]
  • [Wolfenstein II]: The game may freeze in the Roosevelt area. [2114563]
  • [NVIDIA Control Panel]: When Windows HDR is enabled, some color formats are missing from the NVIDIA Control Panel->Display->Change Resolution page. [2117226]
  • [Pascal GPU + Kepler GPU]: After installing the driver and rebooting the system, the drive may fail to load. [200394820]
  • [Far Cry 5]: Green flickering occurs in the game when using HDR with non-native resolution. [200399992]
Changes in this Release
  • Removed Experience Improvement Program from the NVIDIA Control Panel.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Soldato
Important Open Issues

[Pascal GPUs][Gears of War 4]: Blue-screen crash may occur while playing the game. [2008731]

:(

Doesn't seem very important considering how long it's been broke.

Caporegime
Anyone know where the folder for the driver gets created now? I usually manually delete the old one but with these last 2 driver installs I can only find the previous driver in there from before these 2. Don't want to delete it just in case it's using files from there.

Man of Honour
I had the same problem as everyone else trying a minimal install of 397.93 so did some digging and found the solution over on Guru3D's forums by a member that goes by the name of disq. Minimal install doesn't work with these drivers due to Nvidia making some changes to the setup.cfg file which means the the driver will not install without GFE. You have to open setup.cfg with Notepad and delete three lines of text. Once done the minimal install works fine. You can see his solution in post #51 here but here it is copied and pasted for convienience:-

Minimal install fix by disq over at Guru3D forums
Open "setup.cfg" in notepad (i personally use Notepad++) and remove these three lines at the bottom:
Code:
<file name="${{EulaHtmlFile}}"/>
<file name="${{FunctionalConsentFile}}"/>
<file name="${{PrivacyPolicyFile}}"/>
IFqrWEk.png

by removing those, it's the same as the "setup.cfg" file from 397.64 minus "NVI2SystemService*.sys" which are not included in 397.93 anyway:

VpcjCQy.png

It appears that Nvidia has also added a load of new Telemetry in this driver as well. See here, post #43.

Soldato
i've installed these the pastymuncher minimal way and now all of a sudden my sound in bf1 is cutting out...system sounds are still fine...really wierd - anyone else getting that??

Soldato
I had the same problem as everyone else trying a minimal install of 397.93 so did some digging and found the solution over on Guru3D's forums by a member that goes by the name of disq. Minimal install doesn't work with these drivers due to Nvidia making some changes to the setup.cfg file which means the the driver will not install without GFE. You have to open setup.cfg with Notepad and delete three lines of text. Once done the minimal install works fine. You can see his solution in post #51 here but here it is copied and pasted for convienience:-

Minimal install fix by disq over at Guru3D forums

It appears that Nvidia has also added a load of new Telemetry in this driver as well. See here, post #43.

This worked for me, thanks for the info.

Seemed to install faster, which makes sense without all the crud there.

Man of Honour
I miss the old days when software wasn't full of ****ware, telemetry or forced updates, etc. those things haven't brought anything positive for either the end user or developer in fact if anything they tend to be a negative for development as developers seem to interpret the data how they want to see it and then it seems feel more justified pushing on with what are actually bad ideas but they have a harder time seeing it because they think the data is backing them up :( not to mention a lot of this stuff just seems to be bring more bugs and incompatibilities with them.

Same with security updates - seems to be a mentality that forcing everyone onto the latest security updates will magically solve security issues and it doesn't and hasn't magically transformed the security landscape especially as so many patches have closed one hole only to open another or had significant issues of their own. (Not that I'm saying people should be complacent and not stay on top of security updates, etc.)

Soldato
[Pascal GPUs][Gears of War 4]: Blue-screen crash may occur while playing the game. [2008731]

Nice. Nearly a year now, good to see Nvidia on the ball with fixing "important issues".

Soldato
Ran the Nvidia updater on a GTX1080 it worked with no problems then restarted all appears ok. Said onscreen it did need to update to DP1.4. Think Nvidia did not enable this even though the GPUs were ready & now the latest drivers do not work properly on DP1.4 display via HDMI @ 4K as they cannot reconcile the DP1.4 Display with a DP1.4 ready but not (until now) enabled GPU.

Gee

Gee

Soldato

Interesting. I don't experience any issues with my Asus 1080Ti and Dell S2716DG (via DP). It's not a HDR monitor so I don't think I really need to update? I'll keep an eye on this.

E: To follow on from this I updated my card earlier. Went pretty smoothly albeit my case fans were stuck on max after it finished, I believe this was due to having them linked to the GPU temp through AI Suite.

Complete shutdown and reboot seems to have fixed it, however.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom