Sorry, 6 inches is just too big

Soldato
:p

Currently rocking my trusty OnePlus One, but it is very much on it's last legs now so I'm looking to upgrade. I'd jump on the OP6 but it's just too darn big. How come every new phone is taller than 6" for crying out loud? :mad: Ever since I bought my OPO I was determined to get a new phone that was smaller. I don't need a big screen, I don't watch anything on my phone because that's what my TV is for :)rolleyes: ) -- it's primarily a music player (commuting on the tube), web browser and pocket camera... My girlfriend got the Moto G5S but it is so bulky :(

Pixel 2 looks a good size, but also looks a bit outdated now that Pixel 3 is coming. How much is the P3 expected to cost? And will it be <6" tall?

tldr; what phone should I buy that's smaller than 6" tall, and under £450? :confused:

Associate
I had a OPO and from memory the height was over 150mm, I think it was 153? Anyway how about 2 phones with 5.84 inch screens, Huawei P20 Lite at £299 (think £279 might be possible with this one) or the Honor 10 at I think £399, both under 150mm in height so smaller than your OPO, unless you despise notches or hate EMUI they might do the trick.

Soldato
The Sony XZ2 Compact is a lovely phone. Decent internals and about 135mm tall. Went from a Moto G to a G5 plus and then back to G when I killed the newer phone by falling in a lake. Realised that the form factor of the earlier phone was great so went with the Sony.

Soldato
Hey Scam,

I know what you mean and I thought exactly the same as you until I got a 5.7" 18:9 screen, now after a few months I find myself wanting more.

It's true most people have TV's to consume their media but you can't take your TV on the train or to a busy hairdressers. I finds myself watching videos in the strangest places like a rocking chair in a garden or in a bath with the phone perched up on a shelf. Then of course we have mobile games which I'm not sure if you play but I didn't until I got a largish sized screen mobile and I now play every day. It's also lovely showing off your pictures and videos on a nice large screen also . . .

In fact I find myself doing a whole lot more on my big screen mobile than I've ever done before so I'm glad I tested one out . . . 6" screens won't be that big for long as newer phones are starting to creep up to 6.7"

Soldato
OP
The Sony XZ2 Compact is a lovely phone. Decent internals and about 135mm tall. Went from a Moto G to a G5 plus and then back to G when I killed the newer phone by falling in a lake. Realised that the form factor of the earlier phone was great so went with the Sony.
Looks good but I started reading up on it and found out there's no headphone jack. I think that's the same for the Pixel 2 also, no? Unfortunately as said my primary use is listening to music on my commute and I won a lovely pair of top-of-the-range RHA earphones which I simply do not want to give up, or sully with bluetooth audio :) So a headphone jack is essential too.

It's true most people have TV's to consume their media but you can't take your TV on the train or to a busy hairdressers. I finds myself watching videos in the strangest places like a rocking chair in a garden or in a bath with the phone perched up on a shelf. Then of course we have mobile games which I'm not sure if you play but I didn't until I got a largish sized screen mobile and I now play every day. It's also lovely showing off your pictures and videos on a nice large screen also . . .
That's fair enough but I commute on the tube with no signal so don't stream anything at all. Even if I wanted to watch stuff on my commute I couldn't because of that, or that it's too time-consuming to pre-download content, or the fact my head is in someone's armpit for the duration of my journey :p;)

Caporegime
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 and Mi Mix 2s are both 6" screens and smaller than your OPO :p

And I too had an aversion to no 3.5mm jack, but find the included adaptor works perfectly fine, and when I am commuting I am not charging my phone.

Soldato
Scam, the armpit comment made me chuckle, I understand but your other points are quite weak at least from my understanding, in Netflix you click one button to download a video, I think Black Mirror was about 300-400mb per episode which is nothing for good home wifi and not really what I would call "time-consuming", then off course you could just copy bog standard videos from your PC to your phone, I whacked in a 128GB microSD and filled it with my favorite films, music etc. I thought the tube service now has WIFI? maybe that is just certain lines or providers.

Each to their own of course but as I said I was in a similar position to yourself several months ago in not wanting a huge phablet but after trying one out for several months I've completely changed my mind, 18:9 ratio of course!

Man of Honour
Have to say though I'm a fan of the phablet - the Note 1 or there about is perfect IMO - 5-5.6" screen anything bigger doesn't work for me and I'm not a fan of the newer aspect ratios either though I can see why some people like them - 16:9 or 16:10 I find much more preferable.

Soldato
Looks good but I started reading up on it and found out there's no headphone jack. I think that's the same for the Pixel 2 also, no? Unfortunately as said my primary use is listening to music on my commute and I won a lovely pair of top-of-the-range RHA earphones which I simply do not want to give up, or sully with bluetooth audio :) So a headphone jack is essential too.

Comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter which works well.

Man of Honour
Modern 6" phones are smaller than old 5" phones. What do you think happens when they shrink bezels down so much?

True my Note 1 is 6" diagonal (it is also a 16:10 format which makes it slightly fatter rather than longer) but my Note 4 doesn't have hugely smaller bezels.

Comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter which works well.

But that is extra faffing around, another item that you might forget or misplace and/or takes up more room. There is nothing wrong with the 3.5mm socket and it is perfectly possible to ingress protect it effectively and use sockets which barely take up any space inside the chassis at all.

Caporegime
But that is extra faffing around, another item that you might forget or misplace and/or takes up more room. There is nothing wrong with the 3.5mm socket and it is perfectly possible to ingress protect it effectively and use sockets which barely take up any space inside the chassis at all.

I just leave it attached as an extension of my earphone cable, no faff at all.

Soldato
OP
I guess I could make do with a usb c adapter, it's crappy Bluetooth quality I have issues with. And to be clear I've no issue with a 6" screen if the phone is smaller :)

I don't know how people walk around with big phones, the OPO practically sticks out the top of my pocket as it is? :confused:

Soldato
True my Note 1 is 6" diagonal (it is also a 16:10 format which makes it slightly fatter rather than longer) but my Note 4 doesn't have hugely smaller bezels.

My S8+ is smaller than my Note 4 despite the same size screen.

Soldato
OP
Honor View 10. I've had mine 2 months now and it's been the best upgrade from my Nexus 6P.
...Aaaaaand it's taller than the Oneplus 6 :(

This is so boring. Why the heck are modern phones so damn big? :mad: My OPO did my so proud I'm tempted just to save the headache and buy the OP6 seen as it's so well reviewed. It just does my head in everything has to be so big.

Back
Top Bottom