Looking for a monitor recommendation

Associate
Hi friends of Overclockers UK,

I'm hoping you might be able to assist me in a search for a new monitor to complement my recently upgraded PC.
I've currently got a R7 2700 paired with a Gigabyte Windforce 1060 6gb.

Up until now, I've been gaming on a Toshiba 22inch television (50hz) at 1080p.

I've done a bit of research and asking around (I don't know much about monitors) and it seems my best bet would be either an ultra-wide or going for a 144hz screen.
I've currently found an option for both of these which looks appealing to me.
I'm hoping to spend £200-£270

Increased Hz screen: https://uk-store.acer.com/kg1-gamin...lmHoOWBBWsJBB8qxJLBnRzxgK3cmPFCQaAvMGEALw_wcB

Ultra-wide screen: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29UM68

If you have any opinions on either of these, or could steer me in the direction of a better one, please let me know!

Cheers!

Soldato
I'm currently looking at what the market has to offer and number of options are bewildering!

The Acer you've linked has a TN panel, so not great for photo editing so I think that's not an option for you.

The LG uses an IPS panel which is good, but it only supports 75Hz refresh rate and 2560x1080 resolution (i.e. not 1440p).

My advice would be if you play FPS games and want the high refresh rate you should be looking at 120/144Hz panels as a minimum but there is a lack of options with IPS panels unless you go up to 1440p which is way above your budget.

If you don't play FPS games then you can forget about about high refresh rate monitors, which really opens your options up.

Soldato
I'm currently looking at what the market has to offer and number of options are bewildering!

The Acer you've linked has a TN panel, so not great for photo editing so I think that's not an option for you.

The LG uses an IPS panel which is good, but it only supports 75Hz refresh rate and 2560x1080 resolution (i.e. not 1440p).

My advice would be if you play FPS games and want the high refresh rate you should be looking at 120/144Hz panels as a minimum but there is a lack of options with IPS panels unless you go up to 1440p which is way above your budget.

If you don't play FPS games then you can forget about about high refresh rate monitors, which really opens your options up.

They do IPS 144hz monitors I’m in the market for one too!

Lee

Lee

Associate
I've just purchased an Acer Predator XB271HU (27" 1440p, 144Hz, IPS) and it is stunning. Not played around with the settings yet, but the picture quality looks fantastic. Appreciate it's a fair bit out of your budget, but I'll be using this for years.

Soldato
They do IPS 144hz monitors I’m in the market for one too!

I've not seen many at IPS 144Hz 1080p monitors, as the OP didn't specify 1440p is mandatory I thought this was worth mentioning.

It looks like there are more options available at 1080p but I would imagine the OP wants higher resolution than that which is difficult without buying a TN panel in that price range.

Soldato
I've not seen many at IPS 144Hz 1080p monitors, as the OP didn't specify 1440p is mandatory I thought this was worth mentioning.

It looks like there are more options available at 1080p but I would imagine the OP wants higher resolution than that which is difficult without buying a TN panel in that price range.

Theres this coming soon aswell -

LG 27UK850-W

Im torn between this or an Acer Predator!

Soldato
I've just purchased an Acer Predator XB271HU (27" 1440p, 144Hz, IPS) and it is stunning. Not played around with the settings yet, but the picture quality looks fantastic. Appreciate it's a fair bit out of your budget, but I'll be using this for years.

Just been looking at this, someone was complaining the 4ms is noticeable? could you confirm?

Soldato
Theres this coming soon aswell -

LG 27UK850-W

Im torn between this or an Acer Predator!

The LG website says this is 3840x2160 65Hz IPS monitor, but will be costing circa £500, which is double the Nathan's budget.

The LG is a very different beast to the XB271HU.

Soldato
The LG website says this is 3840x2160 65Hz IPS monitor, but will be costing circa £500, which is double the Nathan's budget.

The LG is a very different beast to the XB271HU.

Weird because i just saw it advertised at 144hz, false right there then! scrap that idea then :)

Back
Top Bottom