Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
They had the classic relay problem preventing AC when I had one, maybe yours has failed the opposite way?

Hmm possibly. Just to clarify, the relay would fail preventing the signal from cab control going to the fan/ compressor etc?

My understanding of the cooling system if that a sensor or relay should fail it stays open, as vice versa this would lead to over heating.

I think I've found the relay for one, so I guess it's a case of replacing parts until fixed...

Man of Honour
OP
Battery back in now and the car starts fine (not that I would expect otherwise). I've also attached the solar panel trickle charger to it so I'm hoping that it will keep it topped up and I won't have nay more issues.

I've also noticed I have three other batteries in the garage - an old Diesel Focus one, the old FD2 one and one which I bought for the Evo about 2-3 years ago but it's got the fatter terminals on it so wasn't any use. Are they worth enough to bother selling?

Also, someone asked earlier if both fans are on, yes, they are. As soon as ignition is on, both fans start blowing. That's not right, surely?

Soldato
Easy way to test the AC relay is use a 9v battery over the two smaller terminals, you should hear a click from the relay. Also you can test for continuity over the two larger pins. But to be honest the fan control is before this relay anyways.

Also yes if the AC is on then both fans should be running, even with the engine off and the key at position 2.

Do you know about this website? That has the Honda manual on it for the FN2 which may help. I have to use internet explorer on it.

http://fn2workshop.co.uk/

Man of Honour
OP
Sorry, my point is to turn your A/C off, then see if they're still on. Or is your AC stuck on?

I never switch it off. I have a day off tomorrow so if it's dry I'll take the car out for a blast and see if it does it with the A/C off.

Easy way to test the AC relay is use a 9v battery over the two smaller terminals, you should hear a click from the relay. Also you can test for continuity over the two larger pins. But to be honest the fan control is before this relay anyways.

Also yes if the AC is on then both fans should be running, even with the engine off and the key at position 2.

Do you know about this website? That has the Honda manual on it for the FN2 which may help. I have to use internet explorer on it.

http://fn2workshop.co.uk/

Cheers.

Associate
After only 6 months of ownership I had to put my fn2 up for sale a couple of days ago to fund a move abroad . Felt really sad doing so. Out of the three performance oriented cars (Octavia vrs + Nissan 350z) I've owned this has been far and away the best in terms of reliability and having an overall great ownership experience. I still smile every time it hits Vtec. Hope I can own another fast Honda in the future. Going to be sad to see it go on the final day! :(

Soldato
Valve clearance and chain tension on a near 18 year old 120k ish s2000 - how important? No unusual noises warm or cold, pulls as it should and doesn't use much oil. Opinions?

I'd definitely have it done as part of any other maintenance
Every 25k or 2years I think. Looking at £66-100 depending where you go but engine needs to be cold for an accurate check I believe so it'd be a days turnaround.

Back
Top Bottom