Mass Effect 1,2 and 3
Dragon Age
Revenge of Shinobi
Metal Slug 3
E-SWAT
Strider(Megadrive)
Tales of Symphonia
Stardew Valley of course!

I've taking replayabilty into account otherwise The Last of Us and the latest Tomb Raiders + Uncharted 2 and 4 would have made it.

Soldato
It's just the mission variety that really shows it's age. Each mission is basically a variant on ride out somewhere, get attacked, return home :D

Great writing and story though but the middle is a bit of a slog, it was then and it still is now :)

I've been saying this about RDR since it came out as to why it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be. The start and the end are really good but the middle is so long and in classic Rockstar ways they reaaaalllllyyyy like to drag the middle out. It's definitely not the 10/10 most think it is, it's a good game but shouldn't be put on a pedestal like it is.

To the add to some of the games already named I think shadow of the colossus needs to be included. Camera can be a shonky at times but there was something magical about playing it.

Soldato
I've been saying this about RDR since it came out as to why it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be. The start and the end are really good but the middle is so long and in classic Rockstar ways they reaaaalllllyyyy like to drag the middle out. It's definitely not the 10/10 most think it is, it's a good game but shouldn't be put on a pedestal like it is.

To the add to some of the games already named I think shadow of the colossus needs to be included. Camera can be a shonky at times but there was something magical about playing it.

Did you try playing it online? A bit limited but a great laugh with a mate or two. I'm looking forward to the online element of RDR 2 as much as the campaign, which took some getting into in the first one but became amazing once I put about 5 hours into it. If completing missions is boring then about 90% of games are boring including Shadow of the Colossus, which I give up on.

Soldato
Did you try playing it online? A bit limited but a great laugh with a mate or two. I'm looking forward to the online element of RDR 2 as much as the campaign, which took some getting into in the first one but became amazing once I put about 5 hours into it. If completing missions is boring then about 90% of games are boring including Shadow of the Colossus, which I give up on.

For RDR I found it boring because there was an awful lot of go collect X of this plant get attacked. The story element was really good but the missions were repetitive due to there only being a handful of variations. I know you will come back with a lot of games make you do the same thing over and over but RDR you did the same thing over and over for a far longer than was required. There is only so many times a person should be made to go forage for flowers!

I didn't play RDR online, if I recall correctly when it came out it was lauded for just being a great game in itself and the praise for multiplayer is usually off the back of the Zombie DLC which came later down the line.

SotC on the other hand is just a series of boss fights. You have to tackle each one a little differently and that's the fun of the game working out the twist for each one.

Soldato

"Definitely not a 10/10"? The game got enough critical acclaim that there definitely has to be something special about it. You may think it's not a 10/10, just like I think Witcher 3 is slightly overrated and mechanically flawed but the game is liked by so many people that I can't say it's definitely not a 10/10 and shouldn't get the praise.

Every game makes you repeat stuff, it's just that some people enjoy repeating certain stuff more than others if it's properly executed. And in RDR everything just works. The atmosphere, shooting mechanics, horse riding, characters, physics etc. Half of the game was the setting for me, it made everything in the game enjoyable. Comparisons with SotC are pointless, completely different games, and both are special in different ways.

Soldato
"Definitely not a 10/10"? The game got enough critical acclaim that there definitely has to be something special about it. You may think it's not a 10/10, just like I think Witcher 3 is slightly overrated and mechanically flawed but the game is liked by so many people that I can't say it's definitely not a 10/10 and shouldn't get the praise.

This is the thing I don't get about RDR, I don't get why people get so defensive about it when you say it's not the 10/10 game they think it is. Sorry for taking the thread a bit OT.

It's a good game, like 8/10 good which is well above average but it is essentially GTA in the Wild West, it didn't redefine a genre as Rockstar had already released games in the same vain. How long to beat puts RDR at 18hrs to complete the main story. There is not 18hrs worth of content to the story. Yes the setting and various mechanics are good. But it's a sandbox game and all sandbox games they are jack of all trades and never master of any.

I hear what you are saying about the repeating stuff too and I do agree, but maybe this is where we disagree and I think the repetition in RDR isn't exciting as you do it too much.

I wasn't comparing it to SotC either, I know they are completely different games and it wasn't me that did that connection.

Soldato
This is the thing I don't get about RDR, I don't get why people get so defensive about it when you say it's not the 10/10 game they think it is. Sorry for taking the thread a bit OT.

It's a good game, like 8/10 good which is well above average but it is essentially GTA in the Wild West, it didn't redefine a genre as Rockstar had already released games in the same vain. How long to beat puts RDR at 18hrs to complete the main story. There is not 18hrs worth of content to the story. Yes the setting and various mechanics are good. But it's a sandbox game and all sandbox games they are jack of all trades and never master of any.

I hear what you are saying about the repeating stuff too and I do agree, but maybe this is where we disagree and I think the repetition in RDR isn't exciting as you do it too much.

I wasn't comparing it to SotC either, I know they are completely different games and it wasn't me that did that connection.

No, no don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a 10/10 either. I don't think there's a game truly worthy of such a score. For example, I'm nearing the end of Bloodborne+DLC, which is one of the most impeccable games I've ever played in terms of atmosphere, location/enemy design, combat etc. but I still wouldn't give it a 10/10 as there are a couple of niggles.

It's just that games don't get so much praise for nothing usually and it's all a matter of taste. Some people feel really strongly about their favourite games, therefore saying it's definitely not a 10/10 most think it is was a bit condescending and made me feel like they're definitely wrong or something. It simply is a 10/10 in their eyes. It's not in ours. I'd give it a 9,5/10, still one of my favourite games ever but I have no problem with people thinking otherwise. Sorry for the OT.

Soldato
I didn't play RDR online, if I recall correctly when it came out it was lauded for just being a great game in itself and the praise for multiplayer is usually off the back of the Zombie DLC which came later down the line.

It came as standard on the normal game, didn't play zombie one. It's defo the funniest online game I've played I did play with a mate though. Maybe RDR 2 will be worth it for the multiplayer alone, I hope so. RDR did take me about 5 attempts to get into it, but it's worth it for the ending alone.

Soldato
Vanquish - Greatest arcade shooter I've ever played. Sure both the story line and dialogue is cheesy as hell. But the gameplay is so enjoyable. And I've recently read a sequel is in the works!

Soldato
MGS 3 : snake eater
GTA San Andreas
Ssx 3

Just realised the above where PS2. Way ahead of their time !

Red dead redemption
Half life 2
Uncharted series
Last of us

All great stories and gameplay that anyone could get into

Caporegime
I've whizzed through Borderlands 1 over the past few days. Still a great game which is my vote for everyone to play. I hear that the PS4/Xbone is getting a port of the original to complete the trilogy - could be an E3 announcement.

Back
Top Bottom