Dyslexia testing?

Man of Honour
:p not with reading words.

Same with my youngest (now 29) but she had a bad time at school so we got her tested.
Many people think it's just about reading/writing and the test can be faked by pretending not to do those properly but not so.
It's embarrassing that we had missed it and treated her as being a bit thick but I finally cottoned on when she was about 15 that something wasn't quite right.
The immediate effect it had for my daughter was that all her teachers were told that if she asks 'something daft' to answer her and not think she's messing about. It was brilliant and she ended up with 14 GCSE's where if they had carried on treating her like an idiot she would have come out with nothing.
She ended up getting a Masters so way clever than me.

Associate
Hello,

Another dyslexic here, I was only diagnosed whilst doing my PhD. University student support made all the arrangements to get tested. It consisted of a number of general knowledge questions, an IQ test and lots of remembering sequences of things tests.

Knowing I’m dyslexic made very little difference to my life other than the university buying me a PC.

Associate
Where in the country are you looking for a test?

I'm Dyslexic, and got my test in Sheffield, just before doing to Uni. My parents found the place whilst I was doing my GCSEs (as I needed help for English), and since my Mum has started teaching there, and is qualified to perform the tests you're looking for. The place I was tested I wouldn't recommend anymore ("restructuring" meant they had minimal teachers who actually had the correct qualifications), but my Mum now works here instead: https://www.sheffielddyslexiacentre.org.uk/ (actually setup by her & a few colleagues when they noticed how bad the old place was getting!)

Soldato
OP
I got tested for dyslexia at university. It does not affect my reading too much, or my spelling to be honest, but remembering words and other things. After doing a short written exam, I got asked by a psychologist to do a series of tests (which test your overall intelligence as well as some being dyslexia sensitive) and it showed without any doubt that I was dyslexic. It's a bit of a shock when you learn this at 20...

However it was organised by the uni (Teesside in Middlesbrough in my case), I did not have to organise anything. Hope this helps you in some way. :)

In terms of paying for all the testing etc did you have to pay for it? I seem to be organising a lot and paying for it. The uni has given me money for the testing now though.

Q for OP. (Serious)

Are you good with machines, 3D puzzles, etc ?

Were you bad at ball games, riding a bike, etc as a child?

I had a head injury aged 26 and done ok since but this has pushed my brain far more and stressed me so much. I used to play in kids football, raced motorbikes until my accident and was a gamer. No games really in last 10 years.

You need to get a DNA test (National Dyslexia Association)

I'll look into that. Found lots of dyslexia web sites but that never came up.

Hello,
Another dyslexic here, I was only diagnosed whilst doing my PhD. University student support made all the arrangements to get tested. It consisted of a number of general knowledge questions, an IQ test and lots of remembering sequences of things tests.

Knowing I’m dyslexic made very little difference to my life other than the university buying me a PC.

I expect very little and am very shocked i have it. I figured it was wired up wrong because it don't see things the same as other students and constantly misinterpreting things.

Thanks for everyone's input.

In terms of paying for all the testing etc did you have to pay for it? I seem to be organising a lot and paying for it. The uni has given me money for the testing now though.

No I did not have to pay or organise anything at all, it went through the uni. I think that first written test was to weed out the time-wasters.

Thanks for everyone's input.

No worries mate, good luck. :cool:

Associate
I know here in Norfolk the test is about £300. I wouldn't worry to much, i am 34 mine has only caused me to have issues once, with my previous employer, they were not very understanding when they found out and made life very hard for me. But most people and employers are very understanding if you let them know.

Soldato
I thought dyslexic people when they got diagnosed were taught how to read in a different way so they can understand words better?

What is the benefit of being diagnosed?

Man of Honour
I thought dyslexic people when they got diagnosed were taught how to read in a different way so they can understand words better?

No, you also make the mistake of thinking that dyslexia is about reading.
This part of my daughters test.

dyslexia2.jpg

What is the benefit of being diagnosed?

So that people like Teachers, Lecturers, Tutors, Managers know your problem and can work around it.
I and many Teachers thought my daughter was thick but was far from it.

Soldato
No, you also make the mistake of thinking that dyslexia is about reading.

So that people like Teachers, Lecturers, Tutors, Managers know your problem and can work around it.
I and many Teachers thought my daughter was thick but was far from it.

Thanks for the reply.

I know very little about the condition.

How does it manifest itself to the dyslexic person? Is there a realisation to them that suddenly they can't do something that others can?

I'm colourblind and I remember exactly the moment I realised I couldnt name/see colours that others could. I'm wondering if its similar for dyslexic people?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply.

How does it manifest itself to the dyslexic person? Is there a realisation to them that suddenly they can't do something that others can?

I'm colourblind and I remember exactly the moment I realised I couldnt name/see colours that others could. I'm wondering if its similar for dyslexic people?

Each one is different, much like a spectrum of autism I guess.
For me it was the head injury and changes in my brain that seemed to cause an issue because I could look at a question, and find a different answer. Part of my head injury is memory issues, depression and 'alternative thinking'. Which just led me down a dark path as no one offered help so I just think I'm stupid.

I used to think it was ''out of the box thinking' until I failed everything at uni in spite of being good in class.

I genuinely hadn't considered myself to be dyslexic for the same reason you don't. Been a heck of a wake-up call at 37yrs old!!

Associate
So I only struggled with a few things:-

• I have real trouble proof reading stuff I have written. It’s like my brain has an idea of what I have written and does not pick up mistakes. This was fixed by having a PC that would read stuff back to me.
  • I have a complete lack of imagination or the ability to write anything creative. It’s like there is a blackhole in my brain.
  • Complete lack of coordination and I’m rubbish at most sports

Associate
Thanks for the reply.

As helpimcrap said its different for everyone. For me i found out at 31 but i always knew it to a degree, i was tested in school but was never confirmed ,i have always assumed it was because i had very good ability in math and science related topics. Spelling was my weak link back in school, but still managed to be in the top group for english. Reading out loud was a issue still is, reading to my kids i find very tiring and stubble over words that i know i can read etc but reading in my head is fine. Sometime i have to reread a page for it to sink.
In my 20's during my HND i had a teacher take me to the side and he talked to about it, said i should get retested but id didn't back then. We discussed it in detail, as he said that my work was correct and interesting but he could tell by the way i had writing my work that i had it, mostly because of my prospective i had taking in the work. I am very good at thinking outside the box, looking at things from a larger prospective and so on.
A decade later i started a new job, was suppose to be the next big step in my career, was a deputy lab manager. I guess on paper i was a great candidate for the job had plenty of experience in calibration, had good grades and a got told a great reference. But it came apparent that my ability to communicate on paper i.e writing reports became issue. My lab manager was a @@@@ and treated me like @@@@, when asked if was dyslexic things just got worse for me. Anyway i got tested again as an adult, the employer was not understanding or even interested at all. I moved on, backward to just being a lab rat and my current employers are great and very understanding. We have measures in place in help if needed.
It helps as adult, if it has a possibility of affecting your ability to do a job, so there is a understanding of with the employer.

Associate
So I only struggled with a few things:-

• I have real trouble proof reading stuff I have written. It’s like my brain has an idea of what I have written and does not pick up mistakes. This was fixed by having a PC that would read stuff back to me.
  • I have a complete lack of imagination or the ability to write anything creative. It’s like there is a blackhole in my brain.
  • Complete lack of coordination and I’m rubbish at most sports

Wish i had reduce mine above to just bullet points. I am very similar have the same problem proof reading, all sports? I was very good at more individual sports like martial arts and strength related sports.

Last edited:
Associate
OP have you ruled out Visual Stress? Sometimes there's a confusion between the two and many opticians will be able to do some form of visual stress testing. It's certainly worth comparing your symptoms and those that this form of visual dyslexia creates.

If there's any doubt, and you want the best assessment and solutions I'd highly recommend the chap who's basically written the book on dyslexia and visual difficulties - Professor Bruce Evans. His practice is in Essex which isn't ideal for you but if you ever travel it might be worth a look in.

Soldato
You're asking this on a forum for PC enthusiasts. By that metric 95% of us are probably dyslexic.

My point is that dyslexia typically covers a wide range of issues.

Dyslexics are typically very good indeed at visualizing complex 3d systems in their heads, So are therefore very good at jobs like architecture, particularly on big projects (I remember an article that pointed out that one of the larger commercial architect companies specifically sought out dyslexic architects) and dealing with complex machinery.

By contrast, Dylexics tend to have poor coordination while they are growing and therefore tend to suck at ball games, riding bikes etc as children though this problem seems to resolve itself once they reach adulthood.

The illiteracy thing is again more complex than first appears. I actually learned to read pretty much on my own and was doing so by the time I was three. However I read pictographically rather than phonetically.

As a consequence I can read very fast, but I do not appreciate the middle of words so I sometimes misread longer words. I also find it very difficult to read out loud unless I have practiced first since I do not always know how to pronounce words unless I have worked out what they are first.

Writing I do not do at all well, I only really started to write once WP's became available. Unfortunately this was too late for my higher education so though I did quite well at School I floundered under the weight of written work at Uni (I could rely on memory and instinct at school. This is less easy once one gets to degree level. and though I was pretty much top of the class in first year, by the time I got to finals I only managed a Richard :( Still, it was fun though...:) )

It must be so much easier for dyslexics nowadays....

Soldato
Could be worse, he could've been a Satanist who sold his soul to Santa.
Could be better too - My puppy loves religious dyslexics, because they worship Dog.

Is there any benefit to being diagnosed as an adult unless you're at university?
Simply knowing what the issue is and understanding what's going on can help immensely. As mentioned, once you know then teachers, tutors and so on can find ways to help and work around the issue, but also you yourself can find ways to deal with it and get past it. A friend of mine was quite recently diagnosed with a form, wherein his eyes blur lines of text as the pages curve in toward the binding. He used to break the spines on books to try and cope. Nowadays, the solution is simple - A Kindle e-Reader!

Back
Top Bottom