Is my SSD Dead?

Associate
Hi Guys,

So just a quick question as to my 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive with Win 10 Pro N x64 (an upgrade from 8.1) and trying diagnose an issue with my PC:

1. Once upon a time the PC was working flawlessly - ASUS Maximus Formula VI, 8GB RAM, i7 4770k
  2. A few months ago the PC automatically installed Windows 10 Creators update and after 20 mins of working fine the PC locks up and eventually reboots.
  3. Each time it reboots the SSD disappears from the boot menu - only repeated powering on/off brings it back
  4. I then rolled back to a previous version of the OS prior to the update - the PC works flawlessly, obviously it wouldn't let me install any updates until Creators was installed. After doing some research and checking Event Viewer I saw ERRORs linked DCOM 10016
  5. I thought it was a DCOM issue but when I took the steps to resolve that issue the PC would still freeze.
  6. This weekend, after months of trying to resolve the upgrade problem (literally doing this over and and over, trying different things), I have been forced to conclude the SSD might be faulty - what throws me is the fact that it works fine when rolled back to an older version prior to Creators Update
  7. I have used many utilities to check the health of the SSD including Samsung's - all have come out with no errors
  8. Today I managed to upgrade to April 2018 Update but it started to freeze again
  9. I have backed it up and chose to wipe it clean. When I have tried to install a clean OS - it crashes at 90% completion repeatedly
So the question I have guys is it the SSD or Creators update? This shouldn't have happened on this drive - its barely 3 years old!

Advice and help appreciated!

Soldato
If your unable to complete a windows install, Try a new sata cable and/or sata port for the system drive with any other drives unplugged.
Update motherboard bios.

That's all I can think of really, are you able to test the RAM?

Soldato
It's Windows update that has broken it, due to a fault with certain SSD's, you'll need to hope there is a new BIOS soon, or Microsoft may release another patch to fix it.

Stay on the older version of Windows for now and you'll be fine.

Associate
I had to clone a partition to a SSD from another hard drive in order to get around a similar bug.

It was just a problem with installation, not actually running the OS.

Associate
I had a similar issue in my Microserver, pulling the power it would come back for a day or 2, then the machine would get stuck in a "No OS" boot loop.
I returned it in the end and got a replacement. Have you checked your warranty status? SanDisk had quite a quick turn around.

Back
Top Bottom