Affect vs effect

Soldato
you affect a change and measure the effect of that change

Probably the worst example because this is the exception - you actually effect a change. Effect as a verb means to bring about. If you affect a change then you are changing a change.

You could instead say; you affect a thing, and then measure the effect you had on that thing.

Soldato
I've never understood why people don't know the difference between those two words. There are many other examples like this too;

Learn / Teach
Lend / Borrow
Brought / Bought
Either / Neither

etc. etc.

See, all the others to me are blatantly obvious and don't give me pause for thought. Affect/Effect on the other hand always gets me, I think it's because in general conversation they sound identical, unless you purposefully enunciate them then you can never tell which is being said.

Caporegime
See, all the others to me are blatantly obvious and don't give me pause for thought. Affect/Effect on the other hand always gets me, I think it's because in general conversation they sound identical, unless you purposefully enunciate them then you can never tell which is being said.
The one I have to think about is who/whom.

It's obvious in cases such as "to whom" and "from whom".

But it can get a bit more cloudy like this:

"I brought cake to the girls who were punching a squirrel."

"I brought cake to the girls whom I had seen punching a squirrel."

I've had to read several articles about it and think I just about understand it now :p

Back
Top Bottom