Games you feel everyone should play

Caporegime
How tough is this game? The difficulty scares me more than anything, do you get any respite from the alien? How long is your first playthrough? This looks tougher than Darksouls, which I love.

You don't have to play on a hard difficulty. If you pick easy and just walk around (DON'T RUN) you'll only see the alien at scripted moments. And he can be avoided in most scenarios if you keep out of his way.

Associate
You can turn the difficulty down, just take it slow & know when to run, and when to hide.

Probably a lot longer than it needed to be if I went faster :D

Highly recommended though!

How tough is this game? The difficulty scares me more than anything, do you get any respite from the alien? How long is your first playthrough? This looks tougher than Darksouls, which I love.

Associate
Halo CE
Street fighter 2
Bioshock series
Monster hunter world
Borderlands 1 and 2
King of fighters 98 um
Left 4 dead 2
Super mario world
Capcom vs SNK 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Battlefield bad company 2
Metal gear series
legend of Zelda series
Super mario kart
final fight

Soldato
I think the problem with recommending games is time, in so much that progress marches on and the games that wowed me decades ago (literally) now look and feel exactly what they are; dated.

So some of the games that I have been blown away by, for various reasons or just really loved and not in any particular order (you will notice a very FPS orientated list as FPS is my 'thing':

Tomb raider PS1 - going from a Sega Megadrive to this was astounding, both in terms of gameplay and visuals.

Quake - full 3d models and fast paced, exciting gameplay was a massive leap from the 2d Sprite games previously offered. Plus it had a banging multiplayer. I was a teenager and falling in love with PC gaming. I spent a lot of time quaking!

Unreal - wow just wow. This game was the mutts nuts when it was released. It also came with it's own level editor UnrealEd which was based on the awesome level designer Worldcraft by Ben Morris.

Half Life - for its day it was superb in story, gameplay and visuals. It was the seminal first person story shooter.

Resident Evil - still a fine game even now. Trying to do speed runs to get the special weapon was also fun. But god damn the camera angles mixed with hardly any ammo and low health made it exciting.

System Shock 2 - eerie, scary and hard. It was my first experience of an rpg shooter.

Deus Ex - as good as SS2 was, deus ex took it to a whole new level for me. I fell in love with the series and have every release since, although some are better than others! I'm looking at you DX invisible war!

FFVII - straight up the first game that bought a tear to my eyes. Superb story telling and probably one of the best games ever made.

Morrowind - my first experience of an open world fps RPG and it was awesome. The art direction, gameplay, music and story gave me plenty of happy hours.

Lego games - specifically Indiana jones 2, hobbit and Jurassic world. Fun, easy going games with plenty of humour.

Command & Conquer Generals - brilliant RTS game with a great multiplayer. I'm always sad to see the demise of both the C&C franchise and the rts genre in general.

Quake 3 (and the threewave, ra3 and OSP mods). What can I say. This game is ingrained into my gaming DNA. I have spent thousands of hours playing it. As a multiplayer experience I love it. As a game it was ahead of it's time. The movement and physics are awesome. Gunplay is great and you get better or quit. No hand holding. No crutches. I still wander back to QL now and again to play with a few old quaking buddies of mine. I would play it more but dont have the time to invest in it these days. It takes effort not to be cannon fodder!

Tribes Ascend. This game was awesome. Dead as a dodo now but back in around 2011/2012 I started playing this. Didn't have a clue. Many times my arse was handed to me. Huge learning curve but so rewarding. Met some awesome people playing this too who really helped me improve my game :) Never got better than average but loved it. The game had so many facets and I genuinely find it remarkable it didn't do any better. Well I kind of know why it didnt because the dev sold out to a microtransaction model with a different IP. If this had have had the right marketing and investment, I reckon it could have been a popular esport. TA still has servers up but its hit and miss if you can get a decent game. Worth it when you can though :)

Man of Honour
Truly great games stand up to the test of time and in general the early 3D games don't stand up well these days.

Regarding of Command & Conquer, they stand up really well today. C&C Tiberium Dawn and C&C: Red Alert 1 are the pinnacle of the series and C&C Red Alert 2 was also good, but none of the others after those every reached the same standards. Generals was a decent RTS but it was so far away from what a C&C game is that I'm still annoyed to this day that they tacked the C&C name on it for extra sales.

Soldato
The new Prey was surprisingly good. I went in expecting to be disappointed but really enjoyed it. It’s well worth a play through if you have not already and it’s fairly cheap too now.

Soldato
Truly great games stand up to the test of time and in general the early 3D games don't stand up well these days.

Regarding of Command & Conquer, they stand up really well today. C&C Tiberium Dawn and C&C: Red Alert 1 are the pinnacle of the series and C&C Red Alert 2 was also good, but none of the others after those every reached the same standards. Generals was a decent RTS but it was so far away from what a C&C game is that I'm still annoyed to this day that they tacked the C&C name on it for extra sales.

Dune 2 man.. Dune 2 :)

Soldato
Halo CE
King of fighters 98 um
final fight

O course Halo! The only one I didn't complete was the spin off and the RTS, brilliant series how I miss Bungie.

KotF 98, I've got it on my Arcade machine, the Home system and CD! Best in the series imo.

Final Fight, oh my. I do prefer Streets of Rage 2, amazing music and graphics for the Mega Drive, I forgot about Strider, best version is the Mega Drive for once a home system version beats the Arcade by a mile! Love Ghouls and Ghosts, Hellfire, Gynoug and Super Ghosts and Goblins, Pulstar and the orignal Viewpoint, stunning music on the Neo Geo. Nam 75, should have done a 16/24bit list, and 8bit! too ! Wow so many games to list from back in the day.

Soldato
Generals was a decent RTS but it was so far away from what a C&C game is that I'm still annoyed to this day that they tacked the C&C name on it for extra sales.

I would like to know your reasoning for that belief. I have played C&C since day 1 and I'm struggling to see how Generals was not a C&C game.

What about it is not C&C? Genuine question. Maybe I am misremembering the older games but they seem to have very similar mechanics?

Man of Honour
I would like to know your reasoning for that belief. I have played C&C since day 1 and I'm struggling to see how Generals was not a C&C game.

What about it is not C&C? Genuine question. Maybe I am misremembering the older games but they seem to have very similar mechanics?

Base building and resource gathering were very different and simplified compared to traditional C&C, and the music and campaign cut scenes were vastly inferior.

It was a decent multiplayer RTS game, but a far cry from a C&C game. It was only given the name because the publishers had recently bought the rights to C&C and they thought (rightfully) that it would con long time fans like me into getting it.

Associate
Looks like there's a mix of console and computer games here so I'd just like to put forward one of the classic point and click adventures - The Secret of Monkey Island is a game I think that everyone should experience, rich as it is in gameplay, humour and story. Awesome music too!

Soldato
Deus ex
Metal gear solid
The Witcher 3
Mario kart 8
Mario 3d world (multiplayer)
Mount & blade warband
Crusader kings 2
Football Manager
a Civilization game
Xenoblade chronicles
a Total War game

Soldato
Base building and resource gathering were very different and simplified compared to traditional C&C, and the music and campaign cut scenes were vastly inferior.

It was a decent multiplayer RTS game, but a far cry from a C&C game. It was only given the name because the publishers had recently bought the rights to C&C and they thought (rightfully) that it would con long time fans like me into getting it.

Now that you mention it, Generals didnt have that cheesy FOV vibe. I also seem to remember missing defensive play with base building being a bit meh. Sand bagging out was a key requirement in C&C!

But I certainly didnt feel conned. I think Generals was worthy of a C&C title even if it didnt strictly follow the previous formula. Indeed out of all the C&C games, it's the one I played the most.

I remember liking the music in the original games, it was pretty awesome. But revisiting it with a critical ear shows the simple compositions and cheesy synth board sounds. Then the cheesy people cutting in to say something. I could make an 18" cheese pizza with all that cheese!! But then I suppose that's the point and part of the charm with older C&C games. I'm not saying its necessarily a bad thing.

I didnt find the music in Generals offensive but it was clearly a different direction with faction specific music and a step away from the rock guitar / synth techno of previous games. Although the USA music still retained some of that, it just went more american movie style with string sections. Overall I found the music in Generals more relevant and easier to listen to for the hours some matches took.

Associate
I like story telling walking simulators, so;

What happened to Edith Finch - Fantastically detailed world with colourful characters.
Dear Esther - A haunting atmosphere with a calming soundtrack.
Scanner Sombre - Arguably 'incomplete' but an interesting primary mechanic which is used to excellent effect in some parts.
Firewatch - Attractive game world but a little linear.

Soldato
I like story telling walking simulators, so;

What happened to Edith Finch - Fantastically detailed world with colourful characters.
Dear Esther - A haunting atmosphere with a calming soundtrack.
Scanner Sombre - Arguably 'incomplete' but an interesting primary mechanic which is used to excellent effect in some parts.
Firewatch - Attractive game world but a little linear.

If you've not yet played Life Is Strange, you really should

Back
Top Bottom