Vampyr concept teaser (2017)

Soldato
This looks a bit iffy to me, the character models look outdated, the graphics generally do along with the animations. The combat looks clunky, in fact the only redeeming feature is maybe the story and cutscenes. Exactly what you'd expect from an adventure story driven game developer. I'll stick my neck out and say this will be a stinker, hope I'm wrong as I've been waiting for something like this since Vampire: The Masquerade, like thousands of others no doubt.

Soldato
It looks a bit dated but I have been looking forward to it for a while. No pre order will see how it looks on release. I hope it’s decent but something is telling me not to get to excited....

Soldato
Thos seems to be one of those games that doesn't get much attention at all, the gaming media have hardly mentioned it tbh and it being out in just a few days is worrying. But who knows, it could be a hidden gem.. or a complete flop :( best not to pre-order when things are like this imo.

I just want a modern vampire masquerade!

Associate
Well my copy has just arrived. Currently installing but it's not very big only 14gb on disc with a 6gb download.

Soldato
I've played an hour or so on the X.

First thing I noticed was no HDR support :( It's upscaled to 4K but still seems like 1080P but that could be the type of graphics it sort of reminds me of a cross between a Telltale game style and something else, I expected it to be more gritty and realistic I think.

I've not played enough to really comment on the combat but it feels a little clunky, so far it's more about the story.

The location is nice and I just need to put in a few more hours to get a proper feel for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm actually really rather liking it. It is a bit clunky here and there, graphics aren't all that terrible. I'm quite early on so there is still time for it to fall apart as a game but so far so good as far as I'm concerned.

The story and settings are the real highlight so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm actually really rather liking it. It is a bit clunky here and there, graphics aren't all that terrible. I'm quite early on so there is still time for it to fall apart as a game but so far so good as far as I'm concerned.

The story and settings are the real highlight so far.

I've played some more and just finished what you can call the first mission. Yeah the graphics aren't bad, actually suit the style of game I think it just wasn't what I expected at first.

But it's got me a little hooked now, the story and voice acting is pretty good and the location is fantastic, on a boat ride down the river was pretty cool to soak up the atmosphere.

Combat is OK, again I thin I was expecting dark souls type which it isn't and actually that's a good thing as the hardness would ruin the story.

Soldato
Is this good?

I've posted a few comments above, at first I was disappointed then after about an hour I got past my initial negative view and started to enjoy it.

Since then though my opinion has changed a bit, the combat really isn't very good, the story is ok but the graphics are a bit disappointing especially in the conversation parts, ears have straight lines etc. I lost interest again :(

I'm not sure how official reviews will score it, I'm going to guess 6/10.

Soldato
Prepare to die a lot, especially fighting groups of enemies and then get annoyed because all of the enemies you fought hard to kill have respawned. You then need to fight your way through them again to get back to the area you were in before you died. In some ways the enemies respawning does give you a source of blood and takes some of the necessity to feed on the citizens away. I'm actually stuck at the moment, I cant figure out how to proceed and I can't find anything obvious story wise to give me any clues. I've probably missed something simple. Despite all the dying I did still keep going back to it until I got stuck, so it can't be all bad. I'm going to see if I can figure it out tonight. I don't mind the graphics at all and its not really an action RPG so I can forgive the combat. I also suspect combat will get much better as more of the abilities are unlocked and weapons are upgraded. I'm still fairly early on in the game.

One thing did really annoy me though. A particular style of door highlights a safehouse, for the first part of the game it was simply a matter of getting to this door and it opening. Then suddenly a little later into the game, you get to the door in Whitechapel and it's locked. No explanation of why, I assumed I was too low a level. It was only by accident that I found another way into the safe house via a door with a red bloody hand print. Once in the safe house the door then unlocks. Why suddenly change the game mechanic other than to pee off the player?

Last edited:
Soldato
It ended up that I did not like it at all, the combat was just terrible and completely ruined the game for me and the low res textures made it not the best looking game on any platform.

Really disappointed with it as I was looking forward to it.

Soldato
A good, decent game. I liked it, but then I'm a fan of story driven games with dark atmospheres and vampires. It reminded me of the old Vampire Masquerade game, only much more mature and accomplished, despite having flaws which are mostly gameplay related.

It's a 6.5/10 from me, only hindered by it's clumsy gameplay and lack of quality of life additions to make the game more accessible (fast travel option please!!)

I would really like to see Vampyr 2 because the first game wasn't far off being fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom