New TV required max £400 (4K?)

Associate
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've been posting! However I you're help to find a new TV max £400 budget(ish).

After having a quick browse probably 40-43" max 49" if it fits (the TV stand has a max width of 95cm ish). Old TV was a standard 1080p but nearly all TVs in the budget are 4K HDR which would be making it a bit more future proof especially as BBC are saying they're broadcasting the World Cup in 4K! Upscaling does seem to be pretty good these days from 1080p upto 4K from the research I've been doing.

Amazon and John Lewis seem the places to go with John Lewis offering a 5 year warranty on the TVs (mixed reviews online about the 5 year warranty though) and they are slightly more expensive compared to Amazon but it's probably worth a slight increase in price for the warranty - any other good retailers I am missing/forgotten about?

The two brands around that price I think would be most reputable/reliable would either be Samsung or LG and both have good upscaling abilities for everything currently not in 4K; so I've been looking at the LG 43UJ630V 43 inch 4K on Amazon and the LG 43UJ635V at John Lewis (the only main difference between these are the feet/stand with the Amazon one having 2 feet which do fit on the stand) and they are both the 2017 models. Samsung wise it would be the Samsung UE40MU6120 on Amazon and Samsung UE40MU6120 at John Lewis

Although, on Amazon some of the TVs in the 'best sellers in TVs' are Toshibas which I am quite surprised by (probably a bit outdated on TV manufacturers) - are they any good/worth considering?

All TVs these days are some sort of smart TVs which is always helpful but I do have an original Xbox One to sort out all of the catch-up stuff. (I do know the original Xbox One I have doesn't like 4K too much like not being able to stream Netflix in 4K for example, so maybe TV could help in that sense until I eventually upgrade the xbox as it only has an HDMI 1.4a port so a bit outdated for 4K)

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice guys! Thanks! :)

TL/DR - New 4K HDR TV needed roughly 40-43" under £400

Associate
I got a LG 43UJ670V last year and think it's great. Richer sounds seemed to be the best source at the time.

Soldato
Bought LG 43UJ670V from richer sounds a couple weeks ago. Brilliant picture quality and the build quality is noticeably better than the 630, would def say it is worth the extra.

Associate
OP
Bought LG 43UJ670V from richer sounds a couple weeks ago. Brilliant picture quality and the build quality is noticeably better than the 630, would def say it is worth the extra.

Seems like this tv is the best and richer sounds be the best place to buy! :D cheers guys!

EDIT: could one of you do me a massive favour and measure the width of the stand?

Caporegime
Just a wee aside, the BBC are running a 4k/UHD trial on iplayer with a limited number of trialists on a first come first serve basis, reckoned to be up to 10k who click through iplayer first. So not a straight broadcast and no guarantee you'll be able to view either. Needs 40+mbps too.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Final question guys whats the refresh rate as there is so much conflicting info saying 50Hz or 60Hz then apparently an LG support reply to a comment said TM100 Hz (50 Hz) surely it's going to be at least 60Hz?

Soldato
In my opinion - LG have faster hardware but Panasonic have the nicest panels, out of the box at least. Both have Freeview Play so if you watch any UK broadcast/VOD stuff then that's a bonus. Samsung doesn't have those features and also had nice, but middling panel on my 2015 at least. That TV has also got annoyingly slow over time.

Absolutely go with Richer Sounds - price matching, long warranty, brick and mortar store/staff you can talk to. Don't buy a TV without walking in and looking at it!

Soldato
Just a wee aside, the BBC are running a 4k/UHD trial on iplayer with a limited number of trialists on a first come first serve basis, reckoned to be up to 10k who click through iplayer first. So not a straight broadcast and no guarantee you'll be able to view either. Needs 40+mbps too.

Interesting was just reading BBC faq https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/live-uhd

seems it should drop to sdr if you do not have hdr/hlg on your tv, or your bandwidth is not up to spec.
BUT there seems to be no small trial so that you could prepare and check your iplayer setup.

VM V6 is supported, no SKYQ;), and,
Roku stick was on previous PE2 demo, but not listed now. (I just got one)

Back
Top Bottom