Anyone ever worked as a multi drop courier ( what ****** you off about this job)

Associate
OP
I'm going to pack it in because I'm making **** all , in regards to shor nforming together company on short notice that I'm packing it in ,

It's only been two weeks , they make you do a lying month and have a two week pay cycle so I'd only get paid for two weeks on the 3rd and 4 the week , I'm assuming theyl hold onto my first two weeks ,

I owe money out because of this and those two weeks will have e to go towards it ,

I'm not busting my ******** for a pittance

Soldato
Drop rate for too low for mileage incurred, used to have a round £2 a drop plus 10% for extra parcels £3 a collection, did 100 ish a day out in sticks 20 min from depot did 2 tanks fuel a week in a lwb sprinter so currently £150 ish fuel.

Van sounds about right price for a rental/lease unforchantly.

Insurance is decent as i first paid nearly £4k in van inurance goods in transit and public liability

Associate
OP
Vanarama (not promoting these just the only van lease place i've heard of lol ) prices are no where near OP price, that can't be £180 a week, a month maybe?

Yea £180 a week , it is absolutely *****, leasing is cheaper but you decide a year in you've burnt out from 6 days 90 hour weeks , and want to terminate the lease you could be looking at a 50% of the value fees .

Soldato
Yea £180 a week , it is absolutely *****, leasing is cheaper but you decide a year in you've burnt out from 6 days 90 hour weeks , and want to terminate the lease you could be looking at a 50% of the value fees .
Well that's eye opening, good luck getting out of this line of work!

Associate
OP
At the minute I am using a handheld scanner that optimises my deliveries , but it's far from perfect .

I know guys who lay out there drops into postcode and don't use the optimiser .

As my route is new to me I'm picking it up as I go along .

What's the best way to sort postcodes .

If I lay out bt35 5 ab , bt35 5 AC etc it doesn't really work because there all over

Soldato
Makes it easier to find out who the pretentious numpties are, though.
:confused:

If you live on a really long country lane in the middle of nowhere you don't just call yourself 3 **** Road, if the houses are back from road then it would be difficult to see either way.

You just sound very bitter.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

At the minute I am using a handheld scanner that optimises my deliveries , but it's far from perfect .

If I lay out bt35 5 ab , bt35 5 AC etc it doesn't really work because there all over
Plot them all in to google maps as individual stops and sort it in a logical order?

Perhaps during the time it takes to get out of be depot, so you’re working when you’re stuck.

Caporegime
I'm going to pack it in because I'm making **** all , in regards to shor nforming together company on short notice that I'm packing it in ,

It's only been two weeks , they make you do a lying month and have a two week pay cycle so I'd only get paid for two weeks on the 3rd and 4 the week , I'm assuming theyl hold onto my first two weeks ,

I owe money out because of this and those two weeks will have e to go towards it ,

I'm not busting my ******** for a pittance

i thought this was pretty obvious? the only couriers who make decent money work for dpd and parcelforce who have all the correct systems in place which maps your route for you. especially dpd.

i take it you are working for yodel or hermes?

basically the only people who do these jobs are those that are too thick to do anything else. even security pays minimum wage and all you need to do is sit behind a desk. so i wonder why all these people go through the grief of delivering parcels all day for less than minimum wage.

Man of Honour
i thought this was pretty obvious? the only couriers who make decent money work for dpd and parcelforce who have all the correct systems in place which maps your route for you. especially dpd.

basically the only people who do these jobs are those that are too thick to do anything else. even security pays minimum wage and all you need to do is sit behind a desk. so i wonder why all these people go through the grief of delivering parcels all day for less than minimum wage.
Many multi drop drivers are fully employed, and not paid per drop - so they earn a lot more than that.

Our Cat C/C1 drivers are paid about £440 p/w plus bonus - minumum wage is what, about £300 p/w?
Cat B drivers get slightly less. We have less demand for Cat B drivers though, as most of our fleet is 7.5 tonne - for C/C1 drivers we would expect them to already have their digital tacho and CPC.

You don't have to provide your own vehicle or fuel either :p

Last edited:
Soldato
No point showing the OP leases of small vans. He'll need a medium to large van which will increase costs.

Nice..

Wrong though. I'm going to assume you have spent time in the industry so know how it works. If not then stop plucking crap out of thin air

Associate
OP
I have been temping for 7 months as a multi drop van driver , and the past 4 weeks was self employed I enjoy meeting people on a regular basis and the pace suits me .

the run i was assigned on a self employed basis was an absolute **** and not many before me stuck it long , I filled 400 hours in a month , 6000 miles and delivered 2358 parcels . no other runs where available and it was my first self employed position so I took the full volume and did the hours and ended up with mechanical issues on a brand new van never seen before by the rental company in a 4 week period , the mileage the speed the hours, too heavy on the van and.the company terminated my van rental ,

I've had to give up the run because it isn't worth the hassle , and I need to find a better one ,so I'm no longer self employed until that happens

I am still very much open to the idea of finding a better run with another company and continue to do van multiple drop delivery as the pace suits my way of thinking

But, seeing I have some cash around and because I've been considering the idea for a while I'm thinking of going for my class 2 then class 1, but I wonder will I not like the pace , but will I have less stress and better money

long term it would be a better job , unless the multidrop had a decent Run that paid well.

I like the pace of multidrop ,despite the stress of the job,

What would be a better route to go down . I know guys who are earning HGv wages delivery is parcels and they have plenty of free time , then you can get a terrible run and work every hour under the sun and earn less because the mileage is too much and there isn't enough hours in the day for the volume

Soldato

When i did multi drop i didnt bother with postcodes, i used to be able to lay the drops out in street order and (number order on the street) and route it better than the handfeld could.

For instance some days if i tried to optimise the route I had at interlink it would return a 3000 finish, which basically meant it couldnt do it, if i laid it out myself i could get it inside the 15:00 service time no problems.

I started back when there was no scanners, or GPS, and you basically had to use a map of an area to start and then memorise the area from there. There are drivers at DPD and Interlink who have been on rounds for several years who cant do it without a Sat Nav because thats all they do, follow the GPS all day, go home, if it breaks they stop, ring up and cry that they cant carry on because they have no Sat Nav, and someone has to go and rescue them.

Associate
OP
Been delivering now for a firm in a lwb van for 7 months , the last 3momths has been a consistent route , I've gone through self employed to employed and have had never ending battles with the company because they just keep trying to up the anty, more hours , more consignments ,

I put the foot down and do what I am now contracted to do, 4 days but usually do 5 because if I may aswell earn money , but there forever pushing your boundaries. More days , overtime .

The vans will drive you mad the gear boxes are ****** the side panels don't open and you have to work from the back when you unlock the rear doors it takes you to open it 3 times before it pops open that 100 times a day , the PDA endlessly freeze ,

The supervisors are fine but two are either non stop mouthy ***** or can't get out of first gear delaying you from departing the depo and everybody gets aggitated , then either that and they can't decide what days you get off, 7 months and still no rota !!

And That's only what goes on in the depo you have shops that you have to set up systems with so you can get in and out asap , otherwise they'd just chuck the parcels in a heap and leave it to sort ,

Can never get park and always listen to the same **** day in day about customers don't like to sign on the PDA , endless traffic and road rage, barking dogs, cars nearly wiping you out every time you get in and out of the van awkward drops , people not in when you knock , but are when you've written the card and turned the ignition on

It can really begin to wear on you.
I've worked 6 days this week and I feel burnt out ,

I've seen two serious collisions on the roads in the past week because everybody drives like a maniac in the mornings

My head is turned .

My plan is I will no longer be working more than my 4 day week and if my supervisors say otherwise they can go and **** .

Apart from that I'm seriously considering getting my hgv and leaving lwb multidrop behind unless I can get some level of consistency will work life and stress levels .

From experienced class 1 or 2 drivers , who may have done lwb multidrop , is there a big change in regards to quality of life , and how you are treated within the industry , im beginning tomrrach the end of my tether dealing with vast amounts of members of the public and jumping in and out of the van 100s of times a day dealing with ******** .

I will be joining the union , and wondering are truck drivers treated much better

Man of Honour
I dunno what it is like generally but the places I work with are struggling to find people to drive HGVs as a lot of the up coming generation don't want to do it... though not sure conditions are much different to what you are experiencing.

Other option is to do home delivery for somewhere like Argos which is less stressful and better organised - but also pays less.

Soldato
Out of interest, why have you joined a computer forum to post multiple threads about delivering?

I mean, I guess you can do so if you wish, I just find it odd that you haven't posted anything about computers at all, and you have made like 12 threads about life as a delivery driver + 1 other misc thread?

Soldato
For the last 5 years of my working life I was a delivery driver, yes it is hard work but you can make things easier for yourself by organisation. Working from the back door should not be an issue if you have loaded your van correctly. As for the rest of your woes I would suggest you are in the wrong job, I agree people can be a pain but in my experience most are fine, some older folk are lonely and looking for a chat which I rarely had time for which was sad but I always tried to be polite.
As for other road users and parking it is all part of the job, what do you expect it to be like?

Soldato
I was shot down in flames in a recent thread because I suggested that performance related pay was probably a bad thing. Where I work, everyone is paid the same regardless of output, although it's hourly rate so overtime is paid extra.

Reading the OP only strengthens my opinion; we seem to be moving to a situation where everyone is treated like a machine in a never ending race to the bottom. The sooner people stop accepting these horrendous working conditions, the better.

You're in the wrong job, OP... Get into something else.

Associate
Hgv driving is not the job for you if you want to work 40 hours a week mon-fri. Many of the things you've listed are the same. I work 12ish hours a day mon-fri + every second sat. Believe me, you have to drive quick as tachometer regs add another layer of bs to your day. If you find driving tough in a van you won't like driving an hgv. However, it can be rewarding if you have no life outside work. :p

Back
Top Bottom