Best way of blocking this off? Kitchen Extractor Fan Hole)

Soldato
Hi, changing kitchen appliances.

We are changing the Extractor hood.

The new one has the ability to recycle the air. What is the best way of blocking the excising holes?

ALSO, Bit of a problem. The new Extractor Hood Height, is less than the old one. So I need a way of covering up some of the bottom when I mount it.

ie: (bottom photo) the new hood when fitted to above kitchen unit. The bottom of Fan unit, will then be level with the Bottom row of screw holes in the photo. Hows best to tidy that up.

I was thinking expanding foam. Then maybe smooth over with plaster?

Thank you

FAVhtI7.jpg
N5glPWL.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you moving or just replacing the hood? If it’s a like for like replacement then I’d keep it venting externally, you’ll get far better results than from a recirculating one.
Basically tidying kitchen to put the property on the market.

This new one, can be ducted outside, but I would need to purchase a pipe for that and the angle of the new one would be all wrong. (the old unit extracted from the back, the new one, has the knock out plate for external ducting on the top)

bW7GOuJ.jpg

Soldato
Are you sure you want to go down that route? Recycling extractors are never that good, far better to vent to the outside world.

Will it be behind cupboards or will it be in sight?

If behind a cupboard/out of sight I would keep it 'available' as an option for the future - cut TWO circles of foil backed PU insulation that are a good snug fit. Push one in all the way from the inside so its against the grill, put rockwool insulation (like you have in the loft in) then put the second one in. Use silicon sealant to seal/hold the inner one in place.
On the outside cut a sheet of 2-4mm plastic to the size of the vent cover and silicon it in place to keep the weather out.

For a permanent solution, on the outside build it up with bricks cut to size/concrete them in place, repeat on the inside (set back a bit) then once dry plaster over it.

But are you SURE you want to go with a recycling option?

** EDit - seen that you are selling and recirculating is the easiest option.
KEEP the original vent usable/available... The new owners will thank you!!

Soldato
OP
Are you sure you want to go down that route? Recycling extractors are never that good, far better to vent to the outside world.

Will it be behind cupboards or will it be in sight?

If behind a cupboard/out of sight I would keep it 'available' as an option for the future - cut TWO circles of foil backed PU insulation that are a good snug fit. Push one in all the way from the inside so its against the grill, put rockwool insulation (like you have in the loft in) then put the second one in. Use silicon sealant to seal/hold the inner one in place

For a permanent solution, on the outside build it up with bricks cut to size/concrete them in place, repeat on the inside (set back a bit) then once dry plaster over it.

But are you SURE you want to go with a recycling option?

Problem is. The new unit is thinner than the old one. So getting a pipe in the top of the new unit and bending into the hole, then fitting the unit. Would not (in my opinion) work?

Soldato
Seems like you want the easiest way to fill the hole not the best. Best would be to replace the bricks that were cut. Second best would be to fit some cut bricks into the hole and fix in place with mortar.

Soldato
Id leave the outside and think it would be worth just boarding over that and marking it to say there's the hole. If the new owner wants a external hood they've already got a hole

Back
Top Bottom