Openreach - messed up records?

Soldato
Okay, so to add to this, I tried with VM...
Exactly the same story, flat above? Can order 350mbit, my flat below? "Not in a VM area".

I'm starting to wonder if the UPRN is horribly misaligned with geographical location.

Easy fix on Virgin, they just need the House Files team to add the property to the database, they will only do that if it’s listed by Royal Mail. Of course getting a sales person who wants to do anything other than sell is another story.

Associate
OP
Yeah that is plan B longer term, looking to sit put for 3 years here since it's a lovely area.

Ideally I'd just have a VM 300/30 and gfast 330/50 package and mess about with https://www.openmptcprouter.com/ until it works.

I'll potentially ask them as a speculative customer to confirm or deny it's available though. Given the VM cab is outside on the otherside of the carpark driveway...

Soldato
If the other flats can get VM, you can. Basically the property will have been a single house, it’s then been converted to a number of flats, this is where your problems start. Although you will be on the council tax database, it’s not part of the process to add the property to the Royal Mail database, as soon as you do VM will be happy to service the property, you’ll also get a TV licensing mail shot because for some stupid reason they use RM’s database.

Once it’s on RM ask the VM sales staff to email house files with the details (it used to be an outlook form) and it’ll be added within minutes, once it’s been added, they can key the order. I had some input on the process back in the day (ex staff).

Soldato
BT record keeping is a joke. I know categorically that I'm on cabinet 21... have been since the house was built and have been on infinity 2 from day 1.

Time came to switch ISP... put my number in the Plusnet checker and "sorry you can't get fibre". Hmmm, weird. Tried again the following week assuming there was an issue... same thing. Turns out they'd bodged up the records somewhere along the road (for god knows what reason) and had put me down under another cabinet.

In the end I had to go through someone on a forum to get the records corrected before I could migrate.

I couldn’t agree more. 6 BTOpenreach Engineers have confirmed my line routing and say I should be able to get fibre. but the admin people at BTOpenreach say no as records show I’m connected to a non fibre cab. When actually I am connected to a fibre cab, but via a SCP. However in the records they have the SCP recorded as a PCP cabinet and won’t budge. they are now telling me that the engineers have been misleading me and that they shouldn’t have talked to me in the first place.

To make the matter worse I was at least getting 17mbps until April, then somebody ‘took’ my line. nobody is admitting who, how or why. I was reconnected and I now only get 40% of that at best and a daily disconnection.

Good luck!

Associate
OP
Ah man firstborn that's depressing, I think this will end up on the backburner if the infinity 1 syncs around the 52mbps.
It's all well and good having openreach behind the ISPs from a customer perspective but if the ISPs play silly buggers the engineers aren't going to be able to fix it.

Big letdown all round, thankfully not stuck with ADSL2 but every time there's a bandwidth issue knowing upstairs has g.fast active will cause a solitary tear to form.

Associate
OP
K3TSw1hl.png.jpg

Yeah this isn't going to go well. Thanks openreach. Guess knowing about g.fast deployments is outside the scope of their remit eh.

Confusingly they're claiming it's on the cabinet outside the flat with gfast (47) not 60 which I believe it to be.

Last edited:

Soldato
have similar with our office.

have talk talk and a line from our voip provider. both come into the building on the same multicore cable

voip setup is 80/20. talk talk tell me I can't get fibre in the area

Caporegime
Fwiw if you can track someone down who has ORDI robot access then these database issues can get fixed pretty easily

Soldato
I have Ordi access - no clue how to use it though as only got it the other week after being given new responsibilities - I am historically a PBX engineer, but am starting to manage the provisioning team.

Associate
OP
I have Ordi access - no clue how to use it though as only got it the other week after being given new responsibilities - I am historically a PBX engineer, but am starting to manage the provisioning team.

You're super brave for being open about that ;)

I'll be stoic until I can actually get an order placed, knowing my luck once the infinity 1 line is active and synced it'll all go away again.

Do wonder why it was listed wrong, maybe the previous tenant only used ADSL2+ instead of VDSL? Maybe the last time the line was used cab60 was the one it was connected to when it was a house - possible the previous tenants used a VM line (which I think I've found stuffed behind a table - despite VM claiming no line).

@pepp77 do you know if the HomeHub X is out yet or Huawei MT992 being provisioned still? I'd much prefer the latter.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm fixed! After waiting 2 months for a reply to my last email, I replied and Cc'd BTOR CEO and High Level complaints. Was contacted the next day and the records updated a few days later :) I've now placed an order. So after many 9 month of battling - a result! I will say then any person that I've managed to have a conversation with from BT or BTOR has been great and understanding of the situation. It's only when it was passed to those who simply look at 'the system' it went wrong as they wont believe anything but 'the system'.

Caporegime
Bit late to this but if you order G.fast from BT then you’ll get a Smart Hub X. You may be able to ask nicely for the Openreach engineer to supply you with a G.fast modem as I believe they are still allocated to each job.

Back
Top Bottom