Thoughts about death

Soldato
My uncle died recently; he was 63 and had a funny turn at yoga class. He went to hospital and they said take it easy, and go home. Went to bed that night, dead by morning. He lived a colourful and happy life, was a funny and kind man, and left behind lots of very warm memories. Almost no period of suffering at all, but old enough to have achieved a lot.

I'd be happy if I ended my life the same way. :)

Soldato
My uncle died recently; he was 63 and had a funny turn at yoga class. He went to hospital and they said take it easy, and go home. Went to bed that night, dead by morning. He lived a colourful and happy life, was a funny and kind man, and left behind lots of very warm memories. Almost no period of suffering at all, but old enough to have achieved a lot.

I'd be happy if I ended my life the same way. :)

Was he in the yoga class in the ‘call on me’ music video?

I mean no disrespect, sorry for your loss.

Soldato
More importantly, why wouldn't you be?

The idea of non-existance is terrifying to anyone who is sane..

Why is it terrifying?

Be logical about it; you die, then either you believe in an afterlida and there is one so jolly good. Or there isn't an afterlife and you are dead and know nothing about it, and if you know nothing about it what's there to be worried about?

The fear of death and letting that be a controlling aspect of your life or even a factor in determining how you live your life is absurd. You fear what you don't know, what you don't and can't understand, sow why worry about it?

Live your life in the moment (the only reality there actually is and the only way you can actually live)and don't let a fear of death decide your actions. Counter to your point it is certifiably insane to worry about something you have no control over.

Yes, a handy population control method, in a less civilised era.

It's not just that, it's what people themselves want and need because they lack the mental robustness to be able to face up to their own mortality.

Religion was the ultimate comfort blanket, live a good life and you get a free pass to eternity. Sweet.

I've never been religious but you could argue that the passing of religion as a source of comfort for society as a whole has been a bad thing as people have instead fragmented looking for other crutches. Nationalism, Capitalism, this absurd obsession with celebrity, wealth and fame are all crutches for people who cannot mentally cope with their own mortality.

Read Neitzsche (or perhaps an analysis of his works as the writer himself is a pretty hateful (but insightful and wise) ball bag) it will help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is it terrifying?

Be logical about it; you die, then either you believe in an afterlida and there is one so jolly good. Or there isn't an afterlife and you are dead and know nothing about it, and if you know nothing about it what's there to be worried about?

The fear of death and letting that be a controlling aspect of your life or even a factor in determining how you live your life is absurd. You fear what you don't know, what you don't and can't understand, sow why worry about it?

Live your life in the moment (the only reality there actually is and the only way you can actually live)and don't let a fear of death decide your actions. Counter to your point it is certifiably insane to worry about something you have no control over.

It's not just that, it's what people themselves want and need because they lack the mental robustness to be able to face up to their own mortality.

Religion was the ultimate comfort blanket, live a good life and you get a free pass to eternity. Sweet.

I've never been religious but you could argue that the passing of religion as a source of comfort for society as a whole has been a bad thing as people have instead fragmented looking for other crutches. Nationalism, Capitalism, this absurd obsession with celebrity, wealth and fame are all crutches for people who cannot mentally cope with their own mortality.

Read Neitzsche (or perhaps an analysis of his works as the writer himself is a pretty hateful (but insightful and wise) ball bag) it will help.

Terrifying is only something experienced by those alive, of course it isn't terrifying after death.. because you are dead.

The idea of none-existance after life is a scary one because its so alien.. Civilizations will rise and fall within an atto-second of your comprehenstion.. you literally don't exist anymore, nothing, nowhere, this.. if anything else in life doesn't make you feel a bit overwhelmed when thought about, then i don't know what would..

I am quite interested in the idea of mind-body dualism, and this may expain some form of afterlife if true.

Soldato
Terrifying is only something experienced by those alive, of course it isn't terrifying after death.. because you are dead.

The idea of none-existance after life is a scary one because its so alien.. Civilizations will rise and fall within an atto-second of your comprehenstion.. you literally don't exist anymore, nothing, nowhere, this.. if anything else in life doesn't make you feel a bit overwhelmed when thought about, then i don't know what would..

I am quite interested in the idea of mind-body dualism, and this may expain some form of afterlife if true.

I'm not seeking to call you out by any means but I just find it strange to see something as terrifying. It could be absolutely amazing, or terrifying. You don't know, you will never know and so why give it any meaning? Acknowledge it by all means but beyond acknowledgement any energy expanded on the subject is a waste. I'm not overwhelmed because it's a wasted effort, it's like being overwhelmed by how big the cosmos is. So what? You can spend your time overwhelmed but it in no way benefits your existence so why bother?

Similar to those who live their life for tomorrow (spend all their time planning, thinking about the next thing, ignoring what they are doing) or dwell heavily on the past (x was great, y was amazing, z was fantastic, never see times like those again) it is all pointless as you are not experiencing anything in reality (as there is only now, you cannot live in another time)

Associate
The way my dad went was heartbreaking, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... Cancer is not fun ladies and gentlemen.. and those who think it is a simple case of "closing your eyes" and ur done.. Nope.
Indeed it's not. I lost my Dad to kidney cancer and it was awful, heart-wrenching ... seeing a physically-fit man who at that point hadn't smoked for forty years, ate healthily, drank only in moderation, reduced to a shell I barely recognised and doped-up on morphine so heavily he didn't know what day it was, is not something I want to see again and not a fate I would wish on myself ... or anyone else for that matter.
"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my ****, at the age of eighty..."
Is there a man in the world who WOULDN'T choose this as his method of exit :p ?

In all seriousness though, I can't say this is something I've thought about a great deal as it's mostly out of my hands. That said, the thought of losing my marbles when I'm older terrifies me and I'd happily sign something now - while fit and healthy and of [relatively] sound mind - to say that the moment I'm diagnosed with a degenerative condition (Alzheimers etc), cart me off to Dignitas and push the button.

It's more what happens after death. Most religions teach of a heaven and hell etc.

Yes, a handy population control method, in a less civilised era.

I'm not religious, but I do believe in manifest. I say 'manifest' instead of soul as an attempt to avoid religious debates. I just think that after you pop, your manifest, your being just goes somewhere else. It's still on the same planet i.e. the planet recycles itself and you just become a newborn on the same timeline without recollection of your previous life.

Associate
I'm not religious, but I do believe in manifest. I say 'manifest' instead of soul as an attempt to avoid religious debates. I just think that after you pop, your manifest, your being just goes somewhere else. It's still on the same planet i.e. the planet recycles itself and you just become a newborn on the same timeline without recollection of your previous life.
Oddly enough, I was laying in bed half-asleep on Saturday morning and the very same thought was going through my mind. I’m not religious and nor do I spend a lot of time thinking about my own mortality, but the whole concept of an individual’s soul/manifest starting anew in a different person popped into my head that morning for some reason.

It would certainly explain those people who claim to have lived previous lives many years before, assuming they aren’t all total loons ... maybe part of their manifest goes with them to the next life and lays dormant until something triggers it? Good grief, this is turning into one of the sort of pub discussions I used to have with my best mate back in the day - it’ll be on to parallel universes next :p

Soldato
Death never comes it just awaits like tomorrow.

Tomorrow never comes but you know it will happen but then it will be today.

Death to me is an inevitable factor of life. ;)

Soldato
I would be lying in the bath and someone would throw a toaster in when White Rabbit peaks.

Death never comes it just awaits like tomorrow.

Tomorrow never comes but you know it will happen but then it will be today.

Death to me is an inevitable factor of life. ;)

Reminds me of When Death Came to Baghdad.

The disciple of a Sufi of Baghdad was sitting in the corner of an inn one day when he heard two figures talking. From what they said he realized that one of them was the Angel of Death.

‘I have several calls to make in this city during the next three weeks,’ the Angel was saying to his companion.

Terrified, the disciple concealed himself until the two had left. Then, applying his intelligence to the problem of how to cheat a possible call from death, he decided that if he kept away from Baghdad he should not be touched. From this reasoning it was but a short step to hiring the fastest horse available and spurring it night and day towards the distant town of Samarkand.

Meanwhile Death met the Sufi teacher and they talked about various people. 'And where is your disciple so-and-so?’ asked Death.

'He should be somewhere in this city, spending his time in contemplation, perhaps in a caravanserai,’ said the teacher.

'Surprising,’ said the Angel; 'because he is on my list. Yes, here it is: I have to collect him in four weeks’ time at Samarkand, of all places.’

Soldato
We must have a few doctors / nurses / ambulance crew etc on here, would be interesting to hear their views as they deal with death / near death day in day out.

On a side note that Ambulance show on BBC 1 was real eyeopener on what they have to deal and cope with, think it takes someone with real inner strength to do that job.

Back
Top Bottom