• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Computex 2018 Press Conference - 6th

Soldato
Slightly off topic but the market is definitely receiving all the news well. AMD share price up 5% today. I'm personally sticking a $24 target on it, IMO of course (not investment advice :D). Looking good for continuation of their turnaround anyway.

Soldato
Watch from 1:29:0
I love the way you typed that in response to a yes/no question, it's like you were so intent on inconveniencing him you didn't mind inconveniencing yourself to do it, brutal :p

32c 64t thredripper drop in upgrade for current TR4 boards.
Depending on the boards VRMs/cooling ofc.

Can't believe it's the same organisation that's made ryzen and threadripper. If they had their GPUs on top form they would be unstoppable.
AMD's HQ has a big lever on the wall, the top reads "make good CPUs" the bottom reads "make good GPUs", sadly it's been proven by history to not be a multi position lever :(

Last edited:
Associate
Too bad about the lack of gaming vega 7 announcement but that was to be expected. The threadripper news though is really good, happy to see some competition in the cpu segment for the past year.
On my side I have the worst of luck I was finally decided about pulling the trigger on a red devil vega 56 and the sale just ended :p.

Soldato
OP
7nm Vega: ~40% die reduction
Let me start by saying I encourage everyone to do their own calculations. As you know side-by-side comparisons are never accurate, so take this with a grain of salt.

The main question is how big is 7nm Vega package. If the package is the same as 14nm Vega’s, then comparing them is easy. At 4Gamer we found a picture of Lisa Su presenting 7nm EPYC CPU with 7nm Vega in both hands. This gave us the opportunity to measure SP3 package and compare sizes. Since we know SP3 package is 58.5 x 75.4 mm, we can quickly conclude that 7nm Vega package is roughly ~47.8mm on each side. This means the package is likely identical to 14nm Vega (47.5mm). From here we compare pixel density and the rest is simple.

It’s worth reminding you that 14nm Vega dimensions are officially 486 mm2, while measurements from the press gave it a 510-ish mm2 die size. We are going to include this margin of error into our quick calculations and we end up with 285-298 mm2 7nm Vega die size.

That said, 7nm Vega is likely under 300 mm2.

AMD-7nm-VEGA-vs-14nm-VEGA.jpg

https://videocardz.com/76487/amds-7nm-vega-is-much-smaller-than-14nm-vega

Soldato
7nm Vega: ~40% die reduction
14nm Vega dimensions are officially 486 mm2, while measurements from the press gave it a 510-ish mm2 die size.
7nm Vega is likely under 300 mm2.
IMG_7716_575px.JPG

Hype train Alert.

Adding measuring chips held up by Lisa Su to the marketing slide is highly foolish but...

If we are looking a 2X Density of 7nm then a 40% reduction in die size equates to 20% higher transistor count on that 7nm chip.

Assuming 100% scaling (I know, but we have to fuel the hype from somewhere...) 20% Higher CU count along with more than 35% increased performance would equate to a 62% increase in performance. Also given the power efficiency we shouldn't be seeing the small nuclear reactors of the current chips which may make them easier to cool and potentially overclock.

They are also using 4 stacks of HBM - I am purely guessing but the layout would suggest that we are looking at twice the memory bandwith of the 14nm product.

So we could be looking at a chip significantly faster than the 1080ti - by perhaps 30%.

Soldato
I'll get my hopes up when I'll see the price and availability. It's nice that at least they seem more committed to compete with nVIDIA in the gaming market.

Associate
I'll get my hopes up when I'll see the price and availability. It's nice that at least they seem more committed to compete with nVIDIA in the gaming market.
Yup. My Freesync monitor is grateful that they are looking to remain in the desktop graphics game but I'm a long way from getting hyped and tbh my Vega 64 is doing a great job at 3440 wide.

Caporegime
30% faster than a 1080Ti, nice! Though surely nVidia could release something in this ballpark at a drop of a hat? As someone said above, availability is another issue :(

Soldato
Slightly off topic but the market is definitely receiving all the news well. AMD share price up 5% today. I'm personally sticking a $24 target on it, IMO of course (not investment advice :D). Looking good for continuation of their turnaround anyway.

My AMD stocks doing very nice. Would be ironic in the truest sense of the word if I end up cashing in and spending the money on an nVidia GPU.....come on AMD, get some products on the shelf :)

Soldato
30% faster than a 1080Ti, nice! Though surely nVidia could release something in this ballpark at a drop of a hat? As someone said above, availability is another issue :(
Of course they can there's no doubt about that, but to them is it more of a matter of how low can they go to 1up on their competition without giving too much excessive performance to the end-user.

If AMD don't bring up something that can challenge Nvidia soon, the xx60 card soon will be a 128-bit card soon, making a card that should be price at sub £100 being sold for £250+ :D

Soldato
My AMD stocks doing very nice. Would be ironic in the truest sense of the word if I end up cashing in and spending the money on an nVidia GPU.....come on AMD, get some products on the shelf :)

My AMD stock had been performing so badly over the last year that I'd forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder! :D

Caporegime
If AMD don't bring up something that can challenge Nvidia soon, the xx60 card soon will be a 128-bit card soon, making a card that should be price at sub £100 being sold for £250+ :D

The 960 was a 128-bit card, it was only the AMD 480 that forced them to up it. I expect them to go back to their default 128-bit with no competition forthcoming from AMD in the mid-range til next year.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
AMD's HQ has a big lever on the wall, the top reads "make good CPUs" the bottom reads "make good GPUs", sadly it's been proven by history to not be a multi position lever :(

The era of AthlonXP + 9700/9800 series followed by Athlon 64 + X800 series followed by Athlon 64 X2 + X1000

Though I guess at the time that was technically AMD + ATi for the first two...

Back
Top Bottom