The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
Hi all!

Not had any activity in here for a while! How is everyone?

I wondered if anyone had much/any experience with Olympus PRO support for lens repair? My 7-14mm has broken they're offering to collect it, and provide an estimate FOC. I logged the support request last night and they replied this morning, so they seem to be very prompt so far.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

Caporegime
Hi all!

Not had any activity in here for a while! How is everyone?

I wondered if anyone had much/any experience with Olympus PRO support for lens repair? My 7-14mm has broken they're offering to collect it, and provide an estimate FOC. I logged the support request last night and they replied this morning, so they seem to be very prompt so far.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

The guys over at DPR are pretty complimentary about Olys repair service. Especially in the light of Panasonic’s recent mess.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I used the standard (non PRO) service when the aperture on my 4/3 12-60 lens jammed. It went off to Portugal and came back about 3 weeks later working perfectly for £110. I was pretty happy with that.

Caporegime
Interesting...I am in Portugal and did a support request, in Portuguese yet got someone from the UK contacting me :D

I did reply to them last night with pics of the issue and took a closer inspection myself. Doesn't look like anything is broken, just some screws have come loose inside the lens. So refitting those and it should be good. Making it an easy fix hopefully.

Caporegime
splurged on a 12-40 f2.8 pro!

A few years ago I'd have thought spending this much on a lens was beyond obscene :D

I really rate that lens, was a heavy prime user until I got it. Now I use it and the 75mm almost exclusively.

Buy the cheap JJC hood for it, it’s less likely to break and doesn’t damage as easily.

Caporegime
Its a great lens.

Yesterday I saw online the Olympus 17mm f/1.2 PRO...my god, what a gorgeous looking bit of kit! reviews really well as well. I now want the 17mm, 25mm and 45mm all to play with! However I did think. The whole idea behind m43s is to save on weight/space. The 17mm f/1.2 is double the height and 3 times the weight of its f/1.8 cousin. SO it goes against the idea of m43 (for me, anyway)

But my god...heart tells me I want it, badly!

In other news, my lens is with Olympus, they were swift in arranging collection and notifying me its arrived. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

Caporegime
Its a great lens.

Yesterday I saw online the Olympus 17mm f/1.2 PRO...my god, what a gorgeous looking bit of kit! reviews really well as well. I now want the 17mm, 25mm and 45mm all to play with! However I did think. The whole idea behind m43s is to save on weight/space. The 17mm f/1.2 is double the height and 3 times the weight of its f/1.8 cousin. SO it goes against the idea of m43 (for me, anyway)

But my god...heart tells me I want it, badly!

In other news, my lens is with Olympus, they were swift in arranging collection and notifying me its arrived. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

If you need bokeh that much so as to drop several thousand on the Pro primes lineup you may as well just go FF mirrorless. Though to be fair the grey import price isn’t that bad.

Caporegime
Problem is you then find they are twice as heavy again, twice as big and twice as much ;)
Indeed. There is certainly a lot of merit to getting them. If you're a professional travel photographer/blogger then they could be ideal at given you the IQ/wideness you need and remaining on the go. Plus the robustness with full weather sealing etc.

However, I do think if they were any more expensive then yeah, I'd be looking at a Sony A7 III (or whichever one it is everyone is losing their minds over) as thats an incredible bit of kit and putting glass on that.

FTR: I did not get into Micro 4/3rds to save money, nope. To save weight more than anything else!

uv

uv

Soldato
So now I've got the 12-40 f2.8 on the way, I need to re-think my lens collection - I reckon some of it is no longer needed!

I'll have:

Samyang 12mm f2.0
Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
Olympus 14-150 ii
Olympus 17mm f1.8
Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro

I reckon I can drop the Samyang now and just use the 17mm if get the opportunity to do any astro. The 60mm stays for sure - it's an amazing macro lens. The 14-150 - I really like it, but it's tempting to get rid now and grab another 40-150 R as they're cheap as chips and the last one I had was bonkers sharp.

What would you keep or swap out?

Caporegime
Don't want to get my hopes up, but it looks like my lens has been fixed for free...

Good morning Mr. Ellwood,

Thank you for your reply.

May I please advise that our Portuguese colleagues have inform us that the work is complete and your lens should be shipped back to you today. As of yet I do not have any tracking information, but if I see it then I will forward this to you.

Originally it said I would get a estimate quote for repair etc.

Seems like they've just gone ahead and fixed it!

Public holiday here tomorrow, so I should have it Wednesday :)

Rock on Olympus! :D

Back
Top Bottom