Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
Damage waiver has been included in all of my US rentals with Alamo / National. It basically means you can return the car with every panel dented and parts of a deer you hit at 120mph all over the front of the grill and your bill will be $0. I imagine Enterprise will include the basic insurances required (although I don't think they legally need to for domestic renters) but you may find you get stung when you return the car.

Alamo and National also allow you to pick your car when you arrive from a selection which I really value - you book a certain class (convertible for example) and then can pick the actual car at arrival.

Have you checked the 'big' brokers as they are often cheaper, search all the brands and include all the extras you need?

Virgin Holiday Cars
carhire3000
Uscarhire

Caporegime
Pickups are fun, but as Joe mentioned rentals won't have a Tonneau cover so the back is not too useful if you're on holiday. That said the rear seats fold up and it has a completely flat floor so if there's 3* of you or less then you'd have more space for luggage than most cars.

It'll also use twice as much fuel as an Elantra as well.

*fold up the 60, leave the 40 down.

Permabanned
Damage waiver has been included in all of my US rentals with Alamo / National. It basically means you can return the car with every panel dented and parts of a deer you hit at 120mph all over the front of the grill and your bill will be $0. I imagine Enterprise will include the basic insurances required (although I don't think they legally need to for domestic renters) but you may find you get stung when you return the car.

Alamo and National also allow you to pick your car when you arrive from a selection which I really value - you book a certain class (convertible for example) and then can pick the actual car at arrival.

Have you checked the 'big' brokers as they are often cheaper, search all the brands and include all the extras you need?

Virgin Holiday Cars
carhire3000
Uscarhire

This.

A prepaid voucher from a UK company satisfies all the basic insurance cover, i.e. you are covered for all accidental damage as long as
you have obeyed the T&Cs.
You can buy optional cover or extras at pick-up, but it is completely optional.

Soldato
Going to NY in Sept. Want to rent something nice. It’s only me and my GF with a couple of bags, so nothing practical needed.

Thoughts are Corvette, Mustang 5.0, something else with a big engine. Would rather something American than European (I drive a new S5 SB so have that everyday).

Where should I look.

Soldato
Just look on all the big 4-5 car hire places, most of them have the types of car you are looking for. Be prepared to be bent over for a guaranteed car though.

Associate
Going to NY in Sept. Want to rent something nice. It’s only me and my GF with a couple of bags, so nothing practical needed.

Thoughts are Corvette, Mustang 5.0, something else with a big engine. Would rather something American than European (I drive a new S5 SB so have that everyday).

Where should I look.

Are you planning on taking a road trip anywhere because just driving round NYC is awful

Caporegime
This is some of the best advice in this thread to be honest.

Worth pointing out though that a 10 hour drive in North America is nothing like a 10 hour drive in the UK/Europe. Aside from the change in scenery, the wide roads and lack of (aggressive) people means it’s far more relaxing. You can do a lot more driving without feeling burned out.

Associate
Worth pointing out though that a 10 hour drive in North America is nothing like a 10 hour drive in the UK/Europe. Aside from the change in scenery, the wide roads and lack of (aggressive) people means it’s far more relaxing. You can do a lot more driving without feeling burned out.

It's just different, relaxing isn't the term I'd personally use. In my last road trip I had a segment driving from Fallon (NV) to Vegas (NV) and yes certainly no aggressive drivers, but equally there WAS NO ONE AT ALL (comparative to UK roads). Relaxing isn't necessarily the case when you read the 'no gas for 180 miles" sign in a full on Mustang :D

Permabanned

I get your point of US roads being straighter and less taxing but speaking from experience, even on a driving holiday,
more than 6 hours in the driving seat is way excessive, more drudgery than holiday, especially for passengers !

Soldato
Definitely agree with this. I did a 3hr drive down the M1 when I was over in the UK last month and it was awful - constantly having to watch/change your speed to deal with the 'managed motorways' and constantly changing lanes to go around trucks, etc. It made the 6hr drive to Atlanta feel like a breeze - set the cruise control to 80 and relax. It was the first time driving in the UK in 4 years to be fair but I aren't in a hurry to do it again!

Caporegime
It's just different, relaxing isn't the term I'd personally use. In my last road trip I had a segment driving from Fallon (NV) to Vegas (NV) and yes certainly no aggressive drivers, but equally there WAS NO ONE AT ALL (comparative to UK roads). Relaxing isn't necessarily the case when you read the 'no gas for 180 miles" sign in a full on Mustang :D

That’s what planning and long range fuel tanks are for. :p

Being able to do 750 miles on a single tank is exceedingly useful, until you need to refuel with 130L in one go (I get most rental vehicles won’t have tanks that size, but realistically fuel stations will be available everywhere).

On a more serious note you’ll find that if the road is quiet people will usually slow down and check you’re ok before heading off, at least IME. Same in Canada and Australia where distances are huge and a breakdown could be life threatening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree on the whole time in a car is less stressful in America.

Had a few long days in the car 9 to 10 hours. But with stops for pictures etc and the driving in between towns being so much quieter. Went for an hour or so from Atlanta to North West Florida without even seeing a car.

The time went quicker and at the end I wasn't exhausted. On the other hand have done 5 or 6 hour journeys in the UK even on a Sunday from South Coast to Northumberland and felt absolutely dead at the other end.

Permabanned
Agree on the whole time in a car is less stressful in America.

Had a few long days in the car 9 to 10 hours. But with stops for pictures etc and the driving in between towns being so much quieter. Went for an hour or so from Atlanta to North West Florida without even seeing a car.

The time went quicker and at the end I wasn't exhausted. On the other hand have done 5 or 6 hour journeys in the UK even on a Sunday from South Coast to Northumberland and felt absolutely dead at the other end.
So true. I've done some fairly major drives in the U.S.; Hartford, Connecticut to Toronto, and back which took 8 hours one way then down to Washington D.C which took 7 hours. Also did a West Coast road trip of Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, L.A, San Francisco, Yosemite and Death Valley over 12 days. That was about 31 hours in total driving and it was a total breeze compared to even driving the 1 hour 30 min from Birmingham to Manchester Airport!
I would never even countenance driving say up to Edinburgh which would be around 4 hours whereas a 4 hour drive in the States feels like a short hop.

Soldato
My Mrs has seen 2 week return flights from Manchester to LA in mid May next year. The tickets have dropped to £400 each return.

I live in Warwick so could also do Birmingham airport but that has a stop. Or London Gatwick?

Reckon now is the best time to buy?

Soldato
That is an excellent price.
Oh damn you're making it tempting to buy. Is LA.a good airport to fly into, and is the price likely to decrease much from that? (ie closer to the time.)

I'll (re) read the thread.

I might buy soon to make sure we get it.
They're actually £390 per person (return) from Manchester and similar from Birmingham, but Birmingham requires a stop in Paris for 1hour so I think I'll do Manchester.

Back
Top Bottom