*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Doing pulled pork on Saturday, haven't done one for quite a while. I plan on using the snake method in my Weber, I got 10 hours burn the last time I did, so that should be ok.
What is the suggested method for water/sand in the BBQ - Is a tray of water recommended to keep the moisture up, or does that not make any difference to the moisture content? Is sand better for heat retention, or is water still a good choice as it heats quicker and the temps remain more stable?

Associate
Think generally you will use more fuel with water but as such it’s harder to completely overshoot your target temperature due to evaporation. Sand is more efficient but should apparently be play sand and wrap in foil to avoid most of the mess. If your monitoring closely I would consider sand. Personally when doing low and slow I use the slow and sear with water but I’ve not had chance to cook pulled pork for ages.

Soldato
I'm thinking of attempting my first ever slow cook on the barbecue this weekend, will probably do pork shoulder as I've seen it's the most forgiving. However, before I do that I should probably get a couple of temperature probes, one for the barbecue and one for the meat. Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless temperature probes?

Soldato
Any Kamado Joe owners in here? Thinking of getting the Classic 2 and wanted opinions on it and any 'must have' accessories.

Seen the Kick Ash basket, is it worth £60?

Soldato
Any Kamado Joe owners in here? Thinking of getting the Classic 2 and wanted opinions on it and any 'must have' accessories.

Seen the Kick Ash basket, is it worth £60?

I don't own a KJ, but they just brought out their own version of the Kick Ash basket which looks to have a few more features. That's the one I'd get, but it's very new so you may have a tough time sourcing one in the UK.

If I had a KJ, one of the first things I'd buy is a Joetisserie :)

Soldato
I'm thinking of attempting my first ever slow cook on the barbecue this weekend, will probably do pork shoulder as I've seen it's the most forgiving. However, before I do that I should probably get a couple of temperature probes, one for the barbecue and one for the meat. Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless temperature probes?

I use a Maverick, however I really want a Fireboard!

Live fire frittatas on the BBQ last night despite the rain. I finally got around to buying some cast iron pans I can use on the kettle too so I could do the full thing on the BBQ!

Adf4M7ah.jpg

Soldato
OP
Was gonna get the BBQ out this weekend but plans have changed!

35228506_1835539583193682_4290090029922910208_n.jpg

Currently rocking some 40mph winds which makes lighting a touch tricky!

Soldato
I don't own a KJ, but they just brought out their own version of the Kick Ash basket which looks to have a few more features. That's the one I'd get, but it's very new so you may have a tough time sourcing one in the UK.

If I had a KJ, one of the first things I'd buy is a Joetisserie :)

I actually ordered my KJ today in a bundle deal with a kick ash basket but thanks for the link - maybe in the future if the KAB dies .

My KJ arrives tomorrow, very excited! Been told I need to pass on the Weber Master Touch and my smokey mountain but I'm sure I'll figure out an excuse to keep them :p

Soldato
Joe is up and running! Did some spicy chicken thighs as an easy first cook. Think I'll blast up the heat tomorrow and do some steaks.

F4wbrvB_d.jpg
2xGcr0o

Soldato
Cheap shortribs from Waitrose are on the weber, having real problems keeping the temps up though using snake method. Had to light more coals after 2 hours, won't be eating till late :(

Fingers crossed it maintains now.

Back
Top Bottom