Any roofers in here? Advice needed!

Associate
Hi there,
I have my house on the market and have a question re: the roof.
It's an old style roof with no 'lining' and when you go up in to the loft you can see the tiles directly on the roof.
Now, I remember when buying many years ago our homebuyers survey said that while the roof was fine if anything went wrong (lost tiles etc) it would probably be better to just replace it rather than patch it up.
You can see cracks of light between the tiles but there are no holes. I've been up there when it is raining and the water runs off the roof (I could see no leaks). We do get a lot of dust in the loft so anything up there is just covered with a thin tarp.

It looks like a few houses on our road have the same original/old tiles on them too.

I've read not having lining under the tiles isn't an issue per-se as back in the day that's how a roof was done. Is that right?

I've also toyed with the idea of buying a breathable membrane roll (or two) and adding it across the inside rafters. Is that worth doing?

Do any of you think that this could be a point of contention when selling the house? Should I just wait and see what the future buyers survey comes up with and address it with them if needed?

Thanks!

Soldato
I think any survey would just comment on the roof having no lining and then add the caveat of "Get a professional to check it out"

I don't think it would put any potential buyers off as long as there's no signs of damp, but i certainly wouldn't do anything about it if i was you.

Soldato
The felt lining in there mainly for waterproofing. Any water that gets in behind the tiles will hit the felt and be channeled out of the roof space, probably into the gutter.

Unless you take the tiles off, you won't be able to channel the membrane out of the roof space meaning that when water runs along the membrane, it's going to collect wherever the membrane ends.

As mentioned, I wouldn't touch it. When I was buying my house, it was pointed out that the roof was old and had no felt but it didn't put me off. It's an old roof and at some point will have to be replaced.

Associate
OP
Thanks both. That's the way I'm going to go I think - leave it.
It's not an abnormal roofing setup....it's just not the 'modern' way of doing things is it.
I'm just stressing about anything that could scupper the process but appreciate your input.

Soldato
I had a house built in the 30's with no felt under the tiles - It was totally waterproof - only problem that occurred was south wind driven fine snow and it filled loft to about a foot high -Had to shovel it out - It only ever happened once in 30 yrs we were there. - Yes it was dusty.

Associate
OP
Thanks all. That's the way I'm going to go I think - leave it.
It's not an abnormal roofing setup....it's just not the 'modern' way of doing things is it.
I'm just stressing about anything that could scupper the process but appreciate your input.

Edit:
DXP55 - yes! we have had that happen ONCE in the 13 years we've been there. Crosswinds and heavy snow = loft igloo/grotto!

Back
Top Bottom