Would a full size or TKL Be a Better Choice For Someone with Poor Eyesight?

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new high-end mechanical keyboard, probably the IKBC F108 or F87.

The problem is I'm still torn between the TKL and full-size layout.

Unfortunately, typing has become more difficult in recent years due to my eyesight and I tend to make regular typos on the left side pressing S instead of A.

Given the problems I have, would you recommend a full-size or TKL layout? I generally don't do a lot of data entry, don't use spreadsheets, but find it easier to enter numbers with the number keys. For some reason, the top number keys seem less comfortable but I may be able to adjust to that, especially with a smaller, more comfortable form-factor.

Thanks.

Soldato
I think there might be few membrane keyboards with specially large letters in key caps.
That could help.
Just don't know if any mechanical keyboard has such as standard.

Another option is have you tried if backlighted keys helps?
Less than ideal room lightning can certainly make standard keyboard markings fast harder to see if eyesight isn't good anymore.

Associate
OP
I think there might be few membrane keyboards with specially large letters in key caps.
That could help.
Just don't know if any mechanical keyboard has such as standard.

Another option is have you tried if backlighted keys helps?
Less than ideal room lightning can certainly make standard keyboard markings fast harder to see if eyesight isn't good anymore.

Yeh, the backlighting does help a fair bit so making sure the keyboard I get has that feature. Would be ideal for larger key caps but ideally want to stick with mechanical, good idea though. If the layout doesn't make much difference I'll try out the TKL for a change.

Thanks.

Associate
You should be able to get used to it by not looking at the keys at all.

My hand naturally lingers around the WASD keys whilst my little finger sits on shift and thumb on space bar, a habit from many years of gaming :rolleyes:

When you do buy a keyboard, just make sure it's a decent layout that you are used to - Ducky and Vortex do lovely keyboards.

Associate
OP
You should be able to get used to it by not looking at the keys at all.

My hand naturally lingers around the WASD keys whilst my little finger sits on shift and thumb on space bar, a habit from many years of gaming :rolleyes:

When you do buy a keyboard, just make sure it's a decent layout that you are used to - Ducky and Vortex do lovely keyboards.

Yeh I'm looking at getting an IKBC. Not sure if I should try an ANSI one, but that might just confuse me.

Associate
One thing I would consider is a keyboard I rattle on about all the time ~ the Logitech G810.
The reason I suggest it here is actually one of the main reasons I bought the keyboard in the first place. I often use the PC in subdued lighting, and the Logitach has by far and away the most visible font and lighting. The font can only be described as "fat". There is no backlight bleed on to the background and only the keys are lit meaning they are extremely easy to read. You can also colour code all the keys so they make sense.

Back
Top Bottom