Can I Mirror a windows 10 machine in realtime?

Caporegime
I have a PC in my house with my audio software installed on it. Is there a way for my recording studio PC to mirror my home PC in realtime?

I'm getting fedup with installing plugins and software on the recording PC and trying to keep up with what I have installed on my home PC....

The solution would be a laptop I guess and just move the laptop from home into the studio and just have one machine for both locations. But this is going to cost me nearly 2k for a Dell XPS six core laptop.

Soldato
Remote desktop will have latency issues as well.

Honestly maybe getting a laptop will be the best way to go. The next best option will be the developers somehow offering some sort of syncing stuff for plugins/settings/etc.

Man of Honour
Im not sure how its done but at my work I can login to any desktop and my profile follows me. But to do this would need the two machines on the same network. It would be very slow over the internet if you are in different locations.

Another option is an ssd in an external caddy. Boot off that as your main OS and simply carry it between home and work. It achieves the same as using a single laptop but is a cheaper and more portable solution.

Caporegime
OP
Another option is an ssd in an external caddy. Boot off that as your main OS and simply carry it between home and work. It achieves the same as using a single laptop but is a cheaper and more portable solution.

This sounds interesting. Can you get long sata cables? Feed the sata port on the mobo to the desk space on top....Both machines are running the same chipset so this could be doable! :D

Associate
This sounds interesting. Can you get long sata cables? Feed the sata port on the mobo to the desk space on top....Both machines are running the same chipset so this could be doable! :D
I'd have thought you'd run into Windows activation problems by booting the same OS installation on two different sets of hardware.

I suppose you could try putting a Win10 VM on an external SSD and take it with you between locations? Not sure though how well a VM would perform for your purposes...

Caporegime
OP
I'd have thought you'd run into Windows activation problems by booting the same OS installation on two different sets of hardware.

I suppose you could try putting a Win10 VM on an external SSD and take it with you between locations? Not sure though how well a VM would perform for your purposes...

Never thought of that...:(

It needs to be physical machine mate...

Man of Honour
OK so it sounds like your two PC's are physically close so network latency shouldn't be an issue?

How about installing the software on each machine. Then install a NAS on the network. There would be a directory on the NAS which holds the latest copy of the directories for this software. While each machine is running you have a script which runs at startup. The first thing it does is copy the latest directory from the NAS onto that machine. After that is complete it then checks for changes in those directories every 5 mins and copies those changes back to the NAS directory.

So each machine refreshes the specified directories at startup. It then synchronises it's it's own directories with the NAS every few minutes.

You could replace the NAS with Dropbox etc if it is between different locations.

Otherwise a virtual machine would work and fix the Windows license issue. But it wouldn't be quite as responsive as a native install.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
OK so it sounds like your two PC's are physically close so network latency shouldn't be an issue?

How about installing the software on each machine. Then install a NAS on the network. There would be a directory on the NAS which holds the latest copy of the directories for this software. While each machine is running you have a script which runs at startup. The first thing it does is copy the latest directory from the NAS onto that machine. After that is complete it then checks for changes in those directories every 5 mins and copies those changes back to the NAS directory.

So each machine refreshes the specified directories at startup. It then synchronises it's it's own directories with the NAS every few minutes.

You could replace the NAS with Dropbox etc if it is between different locations.

Otherwise a virtual machine would work and fix the Windows license issue. But it wouldn't be quite as responsive as a native install.

Found this with regards to a VM "The main thing is you do not have the direct access to hardware required for an ASIO driver. Most MIDI controllers will not work and will have a hug added latency."

Man of Honour
Found this with regards to a VM "The main thing is you do not have the direct access to hardware required for an ASIO driver. Most MIDI controllers will not work and will have a hug added latency."
Is it a *USB* MIDI controller? If so then you can usually pass through USB devices to the VM. I know own Virtualbox has USB pass through although I can't comment on MIDI controllers specifically.

Back
Top Bottom