Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
Am I reading this graph correctly? I assume it explains why my online gaming experience is hit and miss, since I am getting consistent highping spikes. Even when my connection is idle overnight it looks bad? I assume the large block of red is the connection when down over night?

Permabanned
Am I reading this graph correctly? I assume it explains why my online gaming experience is hit and miss, since I am getting consistent highping spikes. Even when my connection is idle overnight it looks bad? I assume the large block of red is the connection when down over night?
Yep, you're right on both points. VirginMedia will try and tell you that it is not the cause but those same spikes that I had were the cause of my unsatisfactory internet which totally went when I had the new .603 firmware. What BB package are you on?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep, you're right on both points. VirginMedia will try and tell you that it is not the cause but those same spikes that I had were the cause of my unsatisfactory internet which totally went when I had the new .603 firmware. What BB package are you on?

Thanks for confirming.

I'm on the 100Mb package, Tamworth area. I checked my firmware version yesterday and it's the bog standard one, unless the down time during the night was for an update. Doubtful.

I'll wait and see if and when the update makes any difference. If not then I might get a separate connection from another ISP just for gaming. I could probably get away with a non fibre connection for that, so it won't be to expensive.

Certainly can't move providers for a while, contract ends next March.

Soldato
.........I'll wait and see if and when the update makes any difference.........

Pretty much the only way to get the "fixed" Puma firmware is to be on the Vivid 350. My before and after graphs after upgrading from 200 the other day.

03/06/2018:
4d1d883010b1d049989a193742c98960d75d9641-03-06-2018.png

This morning:
15e4ae5b9242c50161f3b2b1b821f734a0c20574-13-06-2018.png

Man of Honour
I don't think I can get Vivid 350 in my area.

I had look last night and there wasn't an option to upgrade broadband only, just complete package upgrades.

So either way I'll have to phone them.

Associate
Anyone on Vivid 350 in modem mode with a Netgear R6300 (AC1750)? Do you see slower speed tests compared to router mode? Wired.

Seems my R6300 maxes out at 270 on the down, but SH3 direct easily achieves 350+. I had the same problem 6+years ago with a Netgear, the WAN port was limited but the specs on the R6300 on the WAN show it should be okay?

Soldato
I don't think I can get Vivid 350 in my area.

I had look last night and there wasn't an option to upgrade broadband only, just complete package upgrades.

So either way I'll have to phone them.

I had the same and a quick discussion on webchat found it was available and had my 200 upgraded for £2 pcm.

Anyone on Vivid 350 in modem mode with a Netgear R6300 (AC1750)? Do you see slower speed tests compared to router mode? Wired.

Seems my R6300 maxes out at 270 on the down, but SH3 direct easily achieves 350+. I had the same problem 6+years ago with a Netgear, the WAN port was limited but the specs on the R6300 on the WAN show it should be okay?

I have an Asus RT-AC87U and get full through (approx 380 Mbps)

Soldato

I'm sure I read something about that router on the Virgin forums when I was researching modem mode before I ordered. Do a search there and I am sure it will pop up.

Soldato

It's common for router manufacturers to mislead on the labels by quoting the spec of the WAN port as a top speed, when you will never achieve that due to the limitations of the CPU/memory/processing of the router. Some will be faster when they can use the fastest modes that they can operate in (hardware acceleration on DSPs), but as soon as you start offloading to the CPU for things that need packet inspection (such as traffic management/IP monitoring/QoS), your speeds can tank again.

In short, if you've wired it to the router and run speed tests with multiple download threads, if you've made sure you're not using any features in the router that will disable hardware acceleration, and you still can't max out your download (but you can direct to the Superhub), then your router needs changing as it just isn't fast enough in real world usage.

The R6300 was the second 802.11ac router on the market, so maybe it's just showing it's age, but I would check the configuration. I'm still using an old Asus N66U, and it's having no problems keeping up with the Superhub 3 (so far).

Associate

I've got the R7000, so slightly faster router, but for me it maxed out at 280.. I did a lot of research and changes, and in the end I managed to increase the max to 380 by enabling "Shortcut Forwarding Engine".. This is running DD-WRT, so might not be an issue with stock.

Soldato
Folkk… Im on the 200mbit packaged for £33 a month. My offers have now expired and they are offering £35 for the same package or £40 for the £350 + £25 for the new hub.

Thoughts on this? Does it sound reasonably priced?

Im in two minds on this, the advantage would be the faster upload speeds which I am needing slowly more and more for things like uploading to onedrive and the family using face time to talk to relatives across the world...

Associate
i pay £34 for 200mb so an extra fiver for the speed increase sounds reasonable, not sure about the £25 hub charge though they were giving them away last year.

Permabanned
Folkk… Im on the 200mbit packaged for £33 a month. My offers have now expired and they are offering £35 for the same package or £40 for the £350 + £25 for the new hub.

Thoughts on this? Does it sound reasonably priced?

Im in two minds on this, the advantage would be the faster upload speeds which I am needing slowly more and more for things like uploading to onedrive and the family using face time to talk to relatives across the world...
The 350Mbit can only work on the SH3 so they have to give it you. No one I know has been charged £25 for the SuperHub 3, they always came free. I would at least get them to waive that as it sounds like the new VM money making scheme.

Man of Honour
The 350Mbit can only work on the SH3 so they have to give it you. No one I know has been charged £25 for the SuperHub 3, they always came free. I would at least get them to waive that as it sounds like the new VM money making scheme.

Even if you already have a SH3 there's an activation fee of £20 anyway.

Still have contacted them myself about upgrading. Reluctant to spend any extra money ar all as the firmware will come to everyone at some point.

Soldato
Proving VM's inability to organise apuiab I told them I'm moving a month ago and fortunately the place I've moved to is cabled so all good. Turn off on friday and reconnect on saturdayin the new home, all sounds good.

Engineer comes saturday only to find that no cable has been pulled so no brown box on my property. Fed up with hearing how sorry they are on the phone, just sort it! Two weeks till they can come back.

Permabanned
Even if you already have a SH3 there's an activation fee of £20 anyway.

Still have contacted them myself about upgrading. Reluctant to spend any extra money ar all as the firmware will come to everyone at some point.
Yes there's always been one for years; something I have never paid. I've always said that if I have to pay an activation fee then they can cancel whatever it is. That magic word 'cancel' always does the trick as they would rather be taking hundreds of pounds off you over the year rather than just loose ~£20.

Activation fee's seem just like an extra tax on the compliant. Generally they will be slipped in after the negotiations and preceded by the words 'One off', to make it acceptable to the customer. I have never paid them and I mean NEVER! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom