Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Caporegime
I would argue that the clone wars and more recent rebels cartoon series are what have made those characters better, and I know lots of younger kids watched rebels.

I agree, I personally didn't like Rebels but I love the Clone Wars series and my son loves both. The clone wars series highlighted what a terrible job the prequels did with telling Anakins downfall. They just didn't have enough film time or number of films to show his slow downfall like they did in the tv series. Hand in hand they make so much more sense.

Fair point, my little one loves the prequels more than the newer ones. Anakin was guff (acting and casting) but he loves Obi Wan and Yoda in particular.

Yeah, no one from these films will become as iconic as even Maul. Well maybe the blue milk giving huge cow thing :D They got the iconic characters spot on in the prequels also from a toy selling point of view too. Where as you see shelves of Rogue one stuff passed by. My son has never asked for a single toy or lego set from this new stuff and he/we have over 100 SW lego sets.

Soldato
From the new stuff he likes Finn, he really likes Ren and the Death Troopers but in the main it has fallen a little flat in terms of getting recognising characters.

He is still hyped for number 3 though whenever that lands, is it this Christmas or next?

Soldato
I've said before I think that's due to the characters, the prequels may have been bad in most peoples eyes but the characters have stuck and achieved cult status, where you are lucky if a kid can tell you the name of anyone in Rogue one. Lucas takes some stick but he put memorable characters in one way or another. I hated but became a huge fan of the prequels when I saw the joy my son takes from them.

I must say, I don't really recall any characters from TPM bar the mains. qgj, ob1, dark maul, jarjar. The young boy i don't even really recall him as a char, just that he was in the film. Was palatine in it? Can't say i recall.
It was an awful film full of shiny ships, and not much more.

Associate
Broom boy, I'm calling it now. Zero training but powerful af, especially at sweeping up.

It's hard to pick a worst moment from TLJ, there are so, so many candidates, but I think Broom boy does it for me. In the OT, Force users were are rarity, now anyone can do it. It immediately makes me think why was Palpatine so obsessed with Luke, when he could just hang around the local school and find a few kids he could train up.

Man of Honour
It's hard to pick a worst moment from TLJ, there are so, so many candidates, but I think Broom boy does it for me. In the OT, Force users were are rarity, now anyone can do it. It immediately makes me think why was Palpatine so obsessed with Luke, when he could just hang around the local school and find a few kids he could train up.
Well even today grooming is illeagal :D

Associate
There were quite a few little padawans in Revenge of the sith.

Until they were all killed. I presumed they were mainly offspring of the Jedi that we saw in the prequel films, bloodlines and all that. By the time of A new Hope, Grand Moff was telling Vader he was "all that was left of that ancient religion". They'd all been hunted down and killed, aside from Yoda and Obi Wan who had to flee to remote planets and remain hidden.

Caporegime
Until they were all killed. I presumed they were mainly offspring of the Jedi that we saw in the prequel films, bloodlines and all that. By the time of A new Hope, Grand Moff was telling Vader he was "all that was left of that ancient religion". They'd all been hunted down and killed, aside from Yoda and Obi Wan who had to flee to remote planets and remain hidden.

Remember that Jedi's are not allowed to have kids, so there no such thing as a jedi bloodline - Except the Skywalkers apparently.

Man of Honour
Remember that Jedi's are not allowed to have kids, so there no such thing as a jedi bloodline - Except the Skywalkers apparently.

There is quite a good YouTube video on that somewhere about how the Skywalkers, etc. are really the bad ones/plotting together and completely supported/not-contradicted by the official lore.

Associate

Fair point.

I suppose just because the Jedi are extinct, it doesn't mean force sensitives are. But if that was the case, surely Palpatine would be scouring every system to find them and build a sith Army, rather than concentrating on one man?

Soldato
It's never shown in the movies (though it's all over the books and comics) that the Jedi and Sith are two religious orders that are Force users, but there are many other Force users with different philosophies that are nothing to do with the Jedi or Sith. It's a shame the movies never really make it clear that there's more to the Force than just the Jedi or Sith.

Last edited:
Associate
None of Star Wars makes any sense if you think about it too hard...

Why can you only have one Sith master and one apprentice?
Stuff in the old KOTOR games gives some insight into this stuff. A lot of talk on how the sith ideology is that the strongest should rule, so the master is/should always be expecting their apprentice to over throw them at some point. This caused lots of infighting and ruined sith empires as they basically destroyed themselves. I think the 'rule of 2' was a way of mitigating this effect.

Soldato
It never shown in the movies (though it's all over the books and comics) that the Jedi and Sith are two religious orders that are Force users, but there are many other Force users with different philosophies that are nothing to do with the Jedi or Sith. It's a shame the movies never really make it clear that there's more to the Force than just the Jedi or Sith.

Star Wars Rebels does a better job of portraying the expanded depth of Force users and cults.

Caporegime
So should we wait for a cartoon/comic/game that explains who Snoke is, where he came from etc - which is a large criticism of TLJ?

People seem happy for those media to fill in the gaps/flesh out the 'plot holes' of the Prequels and original trilogy.

Man of Honour
None of Star Wars makes any sense if you think about it too hard...

Why can you only have one Sith master and one apprentice?

I think that is the thin line between what makes and breaks these movies - in some you can go "meh I guess that 'could' make sense" and suspend your disbelief but TLJ just throws it in your face at every possible turn making it impossible to switch that off.

Back
Top Bottom