White cars - girly?

Soldato
I've found an A5 coupe in a nice white colour which, if all goes well, I will buy this weekend. Everybody bar a few have commented on how nice the car's colour is.

On the contrary, I've been told it would look a bit girly, gay and too Essex.

Thoughts? I'm still going to buy it because I think I've fallen in love with it but I'm curious to hear the great opinions of OcUK.

Soldato
White cars are great, no idea why people talk about them so negatively. The only problem with white is it's a colour you'd get if standard was the only paint you wanted.

Soldato
OP
White cars are great, no idea why people talk about them so negatively. The only problem with white is it's a colour you'd get if standard was the only paint you wanted.

From what I can see to get the car in white costs more than most of the other standard colours. It's a nice glacier white although to the untrained eye it probably would appear to be a standard white.

Soldato
Depends what car it is I suppose. If it was a A1/A3/TT or something then yes it would look girly imo in white but an A5 not so much you don’t really see women driving them. White cars look great when clean but sadly that only lasts for a few months in the UK and they tend to look far too dirty the majority of the year. As long as it hasn’t got black wheels it should look good.

Caporegime
I don't like most white cars, like the fashion for a while was every kid to buy a white corsa. Spray BT on it and it would've looked like a van.

On the flip side if you're driving in a sunny country in a bigger (flashier) motor, they look nice.

So it depends on the car. But normally I dislike white cars, they just look a bit dull and vanish. Normally applies to boring hatchbacks.

Soldato
Car colours are always just a fad, everyone had red when I was a kid then we had a period where every car was silver followed by everyone buying black now it looks like white is hip again. Buy what you want!

Man of Honour
I used to hate white cars but have now warmed to them. I don't think they are girly at all. Choose the colour that you want. However I would be cheesed off that the dealer wanted more because it's white (unless there is some genuine reason for it such as pearlescent paint etc).

Man of Honour
Depends what car it is I suppose. If it was a A1/A3/TT or something then yes it would look girly imo in white but an A5 not so much you don’t really see women driving them. White cars look great when clean but sadly that only lasts for a few months in the UK and they tend to look far too dirty the majority of the year. As long as it hasn’t got black wheels it should look good.

Yeah agreed - some cars intrinsically look "girly" due to their style in certain colours while other cars in a different style would get away with those same colours without drawing such comparisons.

Associate
My last 3 cars I have had have been white. 5 series,XE,GLE. But It does depend on the car say It was a A1 or abarth 500, Mini Cooper etc then people could say “girly” I suppose. I usually go by what I like not what other people say/think.

Soldato
My biggest issue with white (having had a white car immediately prior to my current car) is that even when it's clean is doesn't look super amazing clean because there's no depth to the colour to see all the nice reflections.

Otherwise I quite like white cars.

Back
Top Bottom