Nest Hello - Now available in UK

Caporegime
£329 including install £229 without.

It's expensive especially since you need to pay for cloud storage on top. However that isn't necessary.

It does say though you need a hardwired doorbell before hand. Which I don't have. Neither do I have a chime, etc. I have wireless battery and a plug in to plug socket chime which works through wireless.

It says contact an electrician for advise for my scenario.

It's not sure if the £329 includes them having to do a full re-wire or just amending the current wire? I imagine it's just amending a current hard wire with a transformer, etc and doing a clean install. Like 15 mins of work however for £100 I'd expect a full re-wire tbh for a doorbell but I know how much sparkies like to make for an hour or so of work.

What do you think for £329 I should expect them to do a full install or is that for them just replacing a currently hard wired normal doorbell?

In the box

• Nest Hello video doorbell
  • Chime connector
  • 15° wedge
  • Release tool
  • Masonry drill bit
  • Window decal
  • Wall plate
  • Extension wires
  • Wall anchors
  • Screws
  • Quick Start Guide

Associate
If it says you need a hardwired doorbell then I would assume that would be a precondition of them installing it for you. Much like if I bought an appliance with no electric point nearby I wouldn't expect an installer to rewire my house.

But I agree, an extra £100 just to fit it into an existing setup is a joke.

Caporegime
OP
If it says you need a hardwired doorbell then I would assume that would be a precondition of them installing it for you. Much like if I bought an appliance with no electric point nearby I wouldn't expect an installer to rewire my house.

But I agree, an extra £100 just to fit it into an existing setup is a joke.

it's not very clear.

it needs to be hardwired there is no battery only option. then gives you scenarios where it says under mine contact an electrician for a quote.

however if i buy with install i'd expect it to be installed regardless of what previous setup i had.

Caporegime
OP
actually i just went to try and buy it and it asks you to confirm you already have a wired doorbell if you want installation with it.

if you opt out of installation it asks you to confirm you have read the compatibility requirements.

looks like it's £229 for the doorbell then likely another £200+ to install it. thanks but no thanks.

Associate
wow 30 days plan is ridiculous cost and that is per bell so 2nd is +50% again

Plan cost so much you should almost expect to get the kit for free at those rates

Getting sick of this trend to try and tie you into subscriptions by removing basic features unless you pay extra

Ps. also asks what voltage your transformer is and doesn't give the most common option for the uk afaik so maybe its Americanised?

Associate
If you read their twitter feed they say that the Installation option does not include a UK compatiable transformer, so basically you're paying £100 for a guy to turn up, remove the existing doorbell button and put two screws in. This is a bit of a ripoff. You'd also think they'd have come up with various supported transformers to sell you but at the moment it seems they have no clue.

Sounds like a fantastic product, but the execution is flawed right now

Associate
Looking a bit further into it - most uk standalone and din rail transformers will be 4-8-12v - you can get adjustable 8-24v din rail mounted ones but would guess not too many people have these already - and how many 16-24v chimes are gonna be around?

Soldato
wow 30 days plan is ridiculous cost and that is per bell so 2nd is +50% again

Plan cost so much you should almost expect to get the kit for free at those rates

Getting sick of this trend to try and tie you into subscriptions by removing basic features unless you pay extra

Ps. also asks what voltage your transformer is and doesn't give the most common option for the uk afaik so maybe its Americanised?
Do you need 30 days though? I've got the 10 day plan on my 3 cameras and find it to be more than enough. I agree it's expensive, especially considering how much the hardware costs, but the online software is really good. It's leaps and bounds ahead of Ring's software and is $2/month more.

$230/£230 on a doorbell is just crazy. I'll wait for one to turn up in my local bargain store.

The Nest Yale lock looks really interesting and is next on my list.

Associate
Do you need 30 days though? I've got the 10 day plan on my 3 cameras and find it to be more than enough. I agree it's expensive, especially considering how much the hardware costs, but the online software is really good. It's leaps and bounds ahead of Ring's software and is $2/month more.

$230/£230 on a doorbell is just crazy. I'll wait for one to turn up in my local bargain store.

The Nest Yale lock looks really interesting and is next on my list.

Just irritates me that they don't offer free alternative like save to NAS or upload to your own cloud service you could source free or cheaper, obviously trying to force people down the long term subscription route

Soldato
Just a heads up but my friend got one of these and it doesn't come with the 12v transformer like the Ring Pro does.

So he's now got to wait another 2 weeks for that to arrive.

Soldato
It seems very expensive in comparison to Ring, which seems odd if they wanted to be competitive - But I guess the "Nest" brand has quite a big following.

But I heard that Ring has recently been bought out by Amazon - Which makes me wonder if I should wait for the next Ring iteration or not...

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It solves a problem that does not exist, and they can work out how many visitors you get, maybe how many walk by your front door, and work out some metric from it

All adds to cooperate surveillance to sell adds (apparently) and nothing evil will ever come out of it :)

Soldato
I've just installed a nest protect and very happy - want a doorbell next but cost seems annoying Vs the ring and no option to battery power.

Anyone actually got one yet in this thread?

Caporegime
OP
I've just installed a nest protect and very happy - want a doorbell next but cost seems annoying Vs the ring and no option to battery power.

Anyone actually got one yet in this thread?

I was going to but been put off by the price of a full install from scratch on top of the actual doorbell itself.

So imI using yi cameras instead which cost £20 from amazon

Back
Top Bottom