BF1 online stutter - happens in some other games (similar stutter)

Associate
Hello there, I have built my system back in february which includes i7 8700k, 16gb ram and GTX 1060 3GB. Occasionally I get random spikes / stutters while playing BF1 online.

Solutions I have tried:

-Fully updated graphics drivers (rolled back to december version too - didnt help)

-Uninstalled geforce experience/shadowplay (cleaned with DDU and installed driver only - didnt help)

-Set game to high priority in task manager (or above normal - didnt help)

-No heavy background processes are running (CPU sits around 60% when playing, memory around 60-70%) (also disabled nearly all processes in the background including gamebar presence writer which still appears in task manager even if you have XBOX gamebar disabled. - didnt help)

-Playing on DX11 / DX12 - didnt help

-Turned off GPU limiter in settings (ON or OFF makes no difference with the stutters to me)

-Reverted all overclocks (CPU,RAM) back to stock including disabling XMP on RAM and running it on 2400MHz

-Set different quality options

Stats:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Processor: i7 8700k OCd to 4,6GHz stable
Memory: HyperX 16GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Predator Series

Card name: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0

Video example of my stutters: https://youtu.be/uLCtcYiKjMU <--- Start watching at 1:48 to see most of them in a row

I noticed similar stutter in Fortnite but on the other hand I can play Overwatch for entire day without single stutter like this.

Soldato
try putting all settings to lowest including textures. see if that makes a difference.

i think it could be related to your 3GB GPU.

Soldato
Probably server lag. I wouldn't use DX12 as that is known to be sub optimal especially on Nvidia cards.

What resolution are you playing at? You don't look to be CPU limited, what GPU usage do you get with different graphics settings?

Soldato
Online games only? What's your ping? Have you ran a speed test on your internet to see what the results are like? What are your benchmark scores like compared to others on same system, firestrike etc

Associate
OP
My res is 1280x1024 which should also help my GPU when running since it has like 30-40% less pixels than 1920x1080 to render, I have noticed these problems in online games mostly such as BF1 and Fortnite, while Overwatch runs smooth as a butter without any hiccups, my connection is: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7414038559.png and my ping to BF1 servers never goes over 50 - usually its around 25

Associate
OP
I know that 3GB VRAM may be a problem, but I get the same hiccups in Fortnite - like identical lenght its just microfreeze and in totally random time schedule and when I monitored my VRAM usage in Fortnite via MSIAfterburner it never used more than 2GB

Associate
OP
Also tested game on low settings when game was using something around 1,5GB VRAM or something and utilizing GPU only 50% FPS locked on 120 as always, stutter was there anyway occasionally. It is always the same, CPU latency spikes up and right after GPU latency too (in the BF1 graph)

Soldato
Also tested game on low settings when game was using something around 1,5GB VRAM or something and utilizing GPU only 50% FPS locked on 120 as always, stutter was there anyway occasionally. It is always the same, CPU latency spikes up and right after GPU latency too (in the BF1 graph)
Fair enough. Looks like you can rule out the GPU then. If your ping is low and broadband connection is stable then I guess it points to the actual game providers servers and therefore something out with your control. I don't play many online games so I'm not sure what your next move could be. I'm sure there are other regular online gamers here who might be able to give you a steer, I don't know if there is a reporting process for poor server performance or not?...

Caporegime
For BF 1, I'm not surprised, the game is just very poorly optimised regardless of what people like to say/think, you just have to look on reddit to see all the issues, even with relatively high end setups like yours and DICE have even admitted there is an issue with CPUs, different setups etc. and that they're trying some tweaks/fixes in the CTE to fix the issue.

Associate
OP
Okay, but this still doesnt answer my stutter in other games such as CS:GO or Fortnite where like 10 people that I asked do not face same issue like I do, one of those people is my IRL friend which bought same CPU but ASUS board while I have MSI board and he has 8GB RAM only while I have 16GB, he is running GTX970 and I am running GTX1060. I asked him to record a videos of him playing the games with me when we played exactly the same games and I watched back his footage with frametime graph showing on top of the gameplay. When we played CS:GO he had awesome frametimes around like 1-2ms on high settings with 4x MSAA, I get those frametimes on all low and when I crank up all the settings like he has, my fps was jumping from 2ms all the way up to 9ms (WHEN standing still, on a empty server without BOTs or anything that could possibly make my fps to jump) also he was getting around 400FPS while streaming the gameplay to the youtube while I was getting under 300 with spikes - this one is weird as it only spikes for me when I crank everything to high in cs:go and still, GPU usage is under like 40% and VRAM is being utilized under 1GB. I am really sure that I am not infected by any malicious software and my OS and even the cs:go itself is running off of an kingston SSD which was always reliable to me. It is kinda frustrating to imagine that his build is: i7 8700k on default settings which means with turbo and stuff, frequencies changing which can cause spikes some times, 8GB of RAM and GTX970 vs. my setup: i7 8700k on 4.6GHz on all cores stable overclock with constant same voltage, two sticks of exact same RAM like he has so 16GB, lastly GTX 1060 3GB version. My PC should deliver more horsepower in any scenario and yet, it doesnt.

Soldato
Your gpu usage is low because games like CS:GO don’t use Jack all power. Watching your linked videos at hundreds of FPS I will say that your running those engines on their limits. I’d cap the frame rates down to your refresh rate and see if you still get this stuttering. Your friend probably isn’t having issues because the system is operating more within the engines/games realm of reasonable FPS.

Even though the system doesn’t show it’s at 100% use you will find there is a bottleneck probably in software. Such as the way drawcalls are being handled

Associate
OP
BF1 in videos was locked to 120fps which is understandable and I would go even higher to something like 144 after getting my 144Hz monitor, stutter was still there no matter what graphic settings I have used, so it wasnt a VRAM ceiling either

Associate
Enter the console in bf1 when on a server and type “perfoverlay.drawgraph 1”. You’ll get a yellow realtime plot of cpu load on the top and a green gpu load plot on the bottom. If there are big spikes in either then that may indicate where your problem is. I had a similar sounding problem on a ryzen 1600 1070gtx 16gb system. Turned out it was a problem with the windows 10 creators update. I rolled back to the version before the creators update and it was fixed. Something to do with the new “game mode”.

Check the graph first to give you an idea. I was getting spikes on the yellow cpu plot which were off the top of the screen which coincided with each stutter.

Associate
OP
If you check my first post in this topic, there is a link to a youtube video with me having that graph on and stutter starts with yellow so CPU and GPU follows right after

Associate
If you check my first post in this topic, there is a link to a youtube video with me having that graph on and stutter starts with yellow so CPU and GPU follows right after

Could be the new game mode in win10 creators edition. Plenty on line about the problems it can cause, which sound similar to what you are experiencing. Rolling back a win 10 version is a ball ache, because it basically means a clean install, but probably worth it.

Soldato
I had the same problem, but it seemed resolve itself about 4-5 months ago, possibly with a game/Windows update. I haven't played BF1 for a few months so I might do so soon to see if the issue has returned. I have a GTX 1080 and I7 5820K.

You can also try using RAMMAP https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap and emptying the standby list and see if that resolves the problem as you may suffering from the Windows 10 standby memory bug.

Associate
OP
I had the same problem, but it seemed resolve itself about 4-5 months ago, possibly with a game/Windows update. I haven't played BF1 for a few months so I might do so soon to see if the issue has returned. I have a GTX 1080 and I7 5820K.

You can also try using RAMMAP https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap and emptying the standby list and see if that resolves the problem as you may suffering from the Windows 10 standby memory bug.

I will give it a go then, so far I have managed to fix the high latency spikes that were going so high that they went out of the graph even like 1000+ ms on cpu and gpu, but some spikes are still there occasionally that I can not explain

Edit: Tried RAMMAP and occasional stutter was still there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom