Would you like a receipt Sir

Soldato
Depends on the person. Years of working in retail teached me that there is nothing as queer as folk.
Again years of retail work, 95% of the people bringing a return won't even remember the rough time or date they purchased it. Which would mean having to scroll through 100s of transactions on the EPOS.

Not sure what Epos system you've worked with but it really wouldn't. A few simple bits of info an you can narrow down even the most popular permutations down to a few transactions.

As I've said a few times, these receipts will and are getting absorbed into banking apps. Merchants don't want to be spending time adding email addresses onto POS software.

Soldato
Not sure what Epos system you've worked with but it really wouldn't. A few simple bits of info an you can narrow down even the most popular permutations down to a few transactions.

As I've said a few times, these receipts will and are getting absorbed into banking apps. Merchants don't want to be spending time adding email addresses onto POS software.

I've worked on some pretty crap EPOS systems in the past.

Soldato
I have just noticed recently that I am being asked if I want a receipt - usually I say no - one in particular was a supermarket petrol station where I said yes - when he printed it off I also got three £5 off petrol vouchers -- If I had said no would the voucher have come out anyway or could the assistant have pocketed them.

The other was a high street practice and I said no - on the way home I thought about it and thought is there a VAT or tax fiddle on this - anyone know or had same thing asked of them.?

More to do with not using paper and recycling. Same idea as online statements or paper ones from yoru bank or CC company. THye give you a discount of you do online statements so they don't have to waste paper sending one out.

Soldato
So, at least from a Sainsburys perspective, the kiosk and petrol station stores as well as locals prompt the cashier to ask you if you want a receipt, the main store tills do not, this is usually due to the size and type of transaction (tends to be smaller, less valuable purchases, lunch deals etc). If they press no then no receipt is printed.

If you pay by card, even if the cashier is offered the prompt and declines the till will still generate an eft receipt as confirmation of your card payment, my guess is that they are obliged to do so, along with and vouchers/warranty receipts which are also printed.

And there's no saving on ink, as the receipt printers don't use ink, the paper is heat sensitive (this only applies to the till receipt and not vouchers which are printed on a separate printer which uses ink, which you get anyway).

So there you go. I imagine this is the same for most major supermarkets, the back end software seems to be fairly similar.

Soldato
Went to Halfords for first time in absolutely ages for some bulbs and the checkout wife asked for my email address. I asked what for and she said to send my e-receipt. I stupidity gave her it instead of just saying I didn't have one (put on the spot, not thinking). Now I'm getting Spam from Halfords. Great.

Soldato
I’ve noticed quite a few clothes shops ask for your email now to email your receipt instead of printing one. Probably why I get spam mail more than ever. It’s also Quite annoying standing there having to spell it out to them because they can’t understand what your saying.Would be hilarious having a rude or explicit email address name to give in just for a laugh.

You just say no thank you, and they print it. That's all.

Soldato
Do people not have a secondary email address they can use for this kind of thing? I'd much rather give them my 2nd email address than have to carry paper around.

The one thing I wish someone would invent is when you pay for something on your phone, it magically sends over the receipt too.

I'm always wary of buying stuff in Store A, going round the corner to Store B where they might have some of the same stock, and not having a receipt to prove purchase - all the while carrying a bag from Store C (being greener and what not).

Back
Top Bottom