• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
I’m on a 6S and the battery is now utter ass. Probably would survive less than 90 mins with constant web browsing using network data. I was intending on making it last 5 years but I’ll probably upgrade to whatever the top model is in September. Didn’t help that dad dropped the dog food tin on it, smashed the screen and made the home button faulty. Cheers dad!!

I did say earlier in the thread that £1000 for a phone is objectively mental, but I suppose that’s when I wasn’t utterly frustrated by my current ‘poor state of repair’ phone.

You can buy a grade b refurbished iPhone 6S for £129 or less depending on what offers are on. That's gonna keep you going for another 2 years, and if not you've not lost a great deal.

Man of Honour
Can I claim on Apple Care Plus if the phone is not damaged? Seems a silly question but I don’t use a case and there’s quite a few micro scratches on the front screen. I never had them on previous phones.

Man of Honour
You can buy a grade b refurbished iPhone 6S for £129 or less depending on what offers are on. That's gonna keep you going for another 2 years, and if not you've not lost a great deal.
A fair point well made! I suppose it delays the expenditure by another two years, but at a (nominal) price. All things considered, I think I’m probably more inclined to upgrade simply from how impressed I’ve been with the cameras on the new phones. The 7 was so much better than the 6s (particularly that front camera) and the X seems leaps above that again. Plus there is always the lure of ‘new and shiny’.

Soldato
Feel like i'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment (though know it's a fortunate position)
Have a 6S+ 128Gb that I bought from the classifieds on here almost 2 years ago. The battery is a bit knackered, but I can obviously get that replaced for £25.

I'd like a new iPhone; i love the screen on the X, but i often wear polarised sunglasses which apparently don't like Face ID; and I love touch ID. So, i was playing with the 8+'s in Apple a few weeks back, and because of X, they feel dated? It's the exact same design as my 6S+.

Also, I don't know whether to move to a non + size. 9 times out of 10 if I'm watching something (for an extended period of time) on my phone i could easily hotspot it because I'll have my ipad with me. I feel the non+ size is perfect for a phone and the + is starting to become a bit cumbersome(especially as i have relatively small hands :p

This post is essentially thinking out loud :p:D From what I've said up there regarding size, an X fits the bill. And while I could, I'm reluctant to spend upwards of £6/700 on a phone (second hand)

It doesn't help that I keep on watching videos on youtube regarding X's, or 8 reviews, or anything between :p:p

Soldato
Looks like this years will be indeed cheaper:
  • 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" will be $900-$1,000

• 5.8 OLED iPhone X will be $800-$900

• 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will be $600-$700
According to Ming
All for September launch.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04/ming-chi-kuo-returns/

Hope its true will welcome a cheaper X.

If that's true, then that's great news. I'm an 7+ owner, and wasn't impressed with the price of the X at launch, and I was sceptical with Face ID. Now it's matured and proven itself, it looks great albeit costly.

Associate
I'm thinking of moving over to iOS from my Pixel 2 XL. I'm looking around on auction sites etc and hoping to try to pick up an X for £600-£650.

The last IPhone's I had were a 6S and an SE for a very short period of time but I'm wondering if now is a good time to buy, if the XS or whatever the new model will be is released in September for £1000 again, is it likely to push X's below £600 anyway? From what I remember and see from looking around now, IPhone's still really hold their value .... So £600 is worth it for an X now, right?

Soldato
I'm thinking of moving over to iOS from my Pixel 2 XL. I'm looking around on auction sites etc and hoping to try to pick up an X for £600-£650.

The last IPhone's I had were a 6S and an SE for a very short period of time but I'm wondering if now is a good time to buy, if the XS or whatever the new model will be is released in September for £1000 again, is it likely to push X's below £600 anyway? From what I remember and see from looking around now, IPhone's still really hold their value .... So £600 is worth it for an X now, right?
Phone prices always fall over time. It'll definitely cost less by October/November time especially if there is a cheaper iPhone released.

Also the P2XL is amazing, and iOS is no longer far ahead of Android... why are you looking to switch?

Associate
Phone prices always fall over time. It'll definitely cost less by October/November time especially if there is a cheaper iPhone released.

Also the P2XL is amazing, and iOS is no longer far ahead of Android... why are you looking to switch?

Just a bit bored and fancy a change. Also quite like the look of the Apple Watch which needs iOS, and also wouldn't mind the Airpods which also function better on iOS.

I wouldn't be surprised if I went back to Android after a few months but just fancy giving iOS a try again.

Soldato
Just a bit bored and fancy a change. Also quite like the look of the Apple Watch which needs iOS, and also wouldn't mind the Airpods which also function better on iOS.

I wouldn't be surprised if I went back to Android after a few months but just fancy giving iOS a try again.
Fair enough. I came to Android after having iPhones for a good few years (6, 6S, 7 then bought an X and returned it) so I get the urge to try both sides.

Could be expensive if you buy all that kit you mentioned though :p

Associate
Fair enough. I came to Android after having iPhones for a good few years (6, 6S, 7 then bought an X and returned it) so I get the urge to try both sides.

Could be expensive if you buy all that kit you mentioned though :p

I expected Airpods to be £80 for some reason, I've just looked up prices and realised how silly I was to think that

I'll sell my Pixel 2 XL, Kindle Fire HD 10 my Garmin 235 watch so it should mostly fund it but I'll definitely have to put some to it. Shouldn't be too bad though.

Back
Top Bottom