• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Don’t get me wrong. They’re still just earphones and my sennheiser headphones sound infinitely better however the airports have unrivalled convenience and I can get away with just having one in all day at work

Pretty sure that I have had the ability to wear just one earbud for decades, and sometimes I do just that! :D

The actual bonus of any wireless earphone/earbud is the fact it is wireless, and that is it, zero other benefits. Don't get me wrong I am all for progression in technology, and the pairing system is ace, but no need to pair with a cable, the charging solution is neat, no need to charge with cables, and the ability to take a call is good, can do this with inline mic/controls on other headphones with cables too.

So... yeah... my original statement sticks. :p

Soldato
Pretty sure that I have had the ability to wear just one earbud for decades, and sometimes I do just that! :D

The actual bonus of any wireless earphone/earbud is the fact it is wireless, and that is it, zero other benefits. Don't get me wrong I am all for progression in technology, and the pairing system is ace, but no need to pair with a cable, the charging solution is neat, no need to charge with cables, and the ability to take a call is good, can do this with inline mic/controls on other headphones with cables too.

So... yeah... my original statement sticks. :p

Sorry, when you said headphones I presumed you meant over ear cans.

Spoken like a true person who hasn't used them extensively :p Sure, you can use wired earphones for 90% of the same reasons but the cable gets in the way. I actually mostly bought my Airpods so I could use them under my helmet on my motorbike without the cable yanknig them out of my ear.

So yeah, any old pair of earphones will do pretty much the same job. Hell, just use the headphones that come with the phone. But if you'd rather a nicer experience then I'd say get the Airpods.

Soldato
Sorry, when you said headphones I presumed you meant over ear cans.

Spoken like a true person who hasn't used them extensively :p Sure, you can use wired earphones for 90% of the same reasons but the cable gets in the way. I actually mostly bought my Airpods so I could use them under my helmet on my motorbike without the cable yanknig them out of my ear.

So yeah, any old pair of earphones will do pretty much the same job. Hell, just use the headphones that come with the phone. But if you'd rather a nicer experience then I'd say get the Airpods.

I'm not disagreeing, but they are a solution looking for a problem. What's wrong with Bluetooth headphones that have a short wire behind your neck, connecting them together for your bike? Genuine question, as I do not use a full face helmet any more these days, or a bike for that matter!

We love to pay for convenience, ease of use, and branding, as consumers I mean. The USP for the Airpods is that they have no cable at all, and connect more easily to your Apple device, I think that is it, unless I missed something?

Also I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but there is literally zero reason for the need to have extensively used them to comment on the benefits in many scenarios. :)

Soldato
I'm not disagreeing, but they are a solution looking for a problem. What's wrong with Bluetooth headphones that have a short wire behind your neck, connecting them together for your bike? Genuine question, as I do not use a full face helmet any more these days, or a bike for that matter!

Personally I've only owned one other pair of bluetooth headphones, they were cheap MPow ones which were as you described connected around the neck but those and many other pairs like that have quite a large protrusion which sticks out of them which wouldn't really work in my helmet whereas the airpods (or wired ones) sat quite flush in my ears so they don't get knocked out. Not sure if i'm making much sense but they're just much more comfy and no cable leaves no where for it to be pulled out of my ear.

We love to pay for convenience, ease of use, and branding, as consumers I mean. The USP for the Airpods is that they have no cable at all, and connect more easily to your Apple device, I think that is it, unless I missed something?

Nope that's pretty much it! That and how they flick between the devices on the fly is quite nice (I have a Watch, iPhone X and iPad Pro) so if you have a few apple devices they work really well. But you are right, the wireless feature is 90% of the USP. That and the charger/case and how rarely they fall out of your ears!

Also I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but there is literally zero reason for the need to have extensively used them to comment on the benefits in many scenarios. :)

Yeah I was only joking. But I do think from using them for well over a year now that they were worth every penny even though at the same time I think they are overpriced and suffering from Apple Tax. But for me, I just like how seamless it works with my devices and how often i forget I have them in my ears due to no cables. I genuinely have finished listening to an album/podcast and it's stopped and I've just left them in my ears with nothing playing.

Though I would admit, if i didn't have 3 devices that could use them as effortlessly as they do, I wouldn't buy them. I also wouldn't buy them expecting world leading audio

Soldato
Though I would admit, if i didn't have 3 devices that could use them as effortlessly as they do, I wouldn't buy them. I also wouldn't buy them expecting world leading audio

I think that is the main point, they excel at fitting in the eco-system that Apple created and have both benefits, and drawbacks, but if you have the use-case/want for them then there isn't any real competition in the market place. It's great, that you get so much use out of them, and even paying the Apple tax, to me it sounds like they are good value for you. :)

Associate
I got a pair of Airpods last night, they're a lot better than I expected. They still look awful but the fit is a LOT better than I expected. Sound isn't too bad, not as good as my Sennheiser Momentum earbuds but these are more convenient as they don't have the band going around the neck, and also not having buds sticking into the ear canals is better for me as buds never seem to fit me properly.

I wouldn't say they're a game changer or anything, but for what they are I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised at how good they actually are.

Soldato
Just a bit bored and fancy a change. Also quite like the look of the Apple Watch which needs iOS, and also wouldn't mind the Airpods which also function better on iOS.

I wouldn't be surprised if I went back to Android after a few months but just fancy giving iOS a try again.

I'm thinking of doing the same.

Was apple for ages. Then moved to pixels after a brief stop off at Galaxy land. Now I quite fancy an x.

Soldato
This guy apparently is usually on the money with these mockups (links to suppliers etc).

Showing off this years cheaper LCD model dimensions and the X(S?) Plus dimensions next to the regular X:

Soldato
Just got my new X today. Man it’s lovely, also upgraded my plan from 5gb to 100gb so should see me well for some out and about streaming!

Soldato
From one combat to another, u so wrong, SO FAR, LG's panels have been awful.

Well with LG spending $4.5b on a new on their new OLED plant I’m confident they will get it right.

After all they are the market leader in the TV world for OLED (I’ve got a 65” OLED) where as Samsung’s a failure in that field, I’m sure LG can perfect a 6.5” screen for the X plus. Apple will be using all LG OLED for future iPhones/iPads anyway as they invested a $1-2b in the new LG plant as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well with LG spending $4.5b on a new on their new OLED plant I’m confident they will get it right.

After all they are the market leader in the TV world for OLED (I’ve got a 65” OLED) where as Samsung’s a failure in that field, I’m sure LG can perfect a 6.5” screen for the X plus. Apple will be using all LG OLED for future iPhones/iPads anyway as they invested a lot of $ in the new LG plant as well.
Yet the panels in the Pixel 2 XL and LG's own phones are terrible.

Soldato
Just out all day today, my IPX started at 100% battery at 7.10am, and with countless hours with Spotify, e-mail and web browsing, its currently 10.20pm and im at 56% battery! :eek::eek::eek: AWESOME!

Also, do you guys think that iOS 12 will help the X be a bit more snappier? I mean its already no slouch..

Soldato
The iPhone X has been out around 9 months now and yet........ I was in an Apple store today and I picked up a 'red' iPhone 8 plus. Now many of you will say I'm mad, but to me the iPhone 8 plus still feels 'just right'.

It's not anything I can really put my finger on but when I look at the iPhone X I could be looking at any number of current phones e.g. S9, P60, OnePlus 6 etc. etc. it just doesn't feel like an iPhone. However, there's simply no mistaking the 8 plus.

I will be keeping a close eye on what is happening come September and if I don't like the new lineup then I may just jump in and get the 8 plus before they are no more.

Associate
The iPhone X has been out around 9 months now and yet........ I was in an Apple store today and I picked up a 'red' iPhone 8 plus. Now many of you will say I'm mad, but to me the iPhone 8 plus still feels 'just right'.

It's not anything I can really put my finger on but when I look at the iPhone X I could be looking at any number of current phones e.g. S9, P60, OnePlus 6 etc. etc. it just doesn't feel like an iPhone. However, there's simply no mistaking the 8 plus.

I will be keeping a close eye on what is happening come September and if I don't like the new lineup then I may just jump in and get the 8 plus before they are no more.
Considering the lineup this year is expected to all take on the X design, not sure they're gonna "feel like an iPhone" to you either.

Dont see them discontinuing the 8 Plus come fall, If anything its the current X that will seemingly be discontinued.

Soldato
Considering the lineup this year is expected to all take on the X design, not sure they're gonna "feel like an iPhone" to you either.

Dont see them discontinuing the 8 Plus come fall, If anything its the current X that will seemingly be discontinued.

Really depressing thought. If there's little to differentiate the many brands, i.e. they mostly all look like a glass lozenge, many of them have the notch and the build quality on quite a few are up there if not better than the iPhone (and at a better price) then what set's it apart (please don't say iOS).

I think we're beginning to see, if not quite there yet that the only thing anchoring many to the brand under the scenario I describe above has to be the 'eco system' - this is where Apple have been very shrewd.

Many consumers want something different yet we now have less difference than I have every seen in the smartphone market.

Back
Top Bottom