Budapest tips

Soldato
I absolutely loved Budapest - went for New years eve, was fantastic. People friendly, very cheap food/drinks. Very much intend on going back. I would recommend doing a "walking tour" of some sort, usually found on trip advisor etc. They take you all around the city sampling various food and learning about hungarian culture.

Soldato
Went there last year for a couple of days, for a wedding.

Didn't get too much sight seeing done, but the pinball museum was great, was the 1st thing I did when I had free time.
I stayed at the Danubius Hotel Gellert, very cheap room, booked well in advance. I never got round to trying out the spa sadly, but I did try the Szechenyi baths, which was well worth the trip on the metro.
Museum wise, I hit up the Hungarian National Museum and Buda Castle. Just check opening times, I went there on a Monday, and I was a little bit miffed after climbing all those bloody steps to find the museum and art gallary closed.

Public transport was pretty good, I just bought myself 1 day travel cards and got about on the metro and the trams, very easy.

Food and drink wise, again pretty good, thankfully I had a Hungarian friend to help me out there.

Soldato
OP
Thank you for all the fantastic tips, flying monday afternoon and going to take note of all of your suggestions :)

Just a side query, what currency is preferable to get the best experience?

Caporegime

HUF

and get it from cashpoints when you get there, the spread over here is generally a massive rip off - there are cashpoints at the airport so you can grab some before jumping into a taxi

Associate
Gellert Spa came highly recommend by the two friends I travelled with. I spent that time wandering the paths of Gellert Hill and the Citadel, also enjoyable if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle for an hour or two.

The Central Market Hall produce market is also a short walk from Gellert Hill, back over the river Duna. Recommended if you fancy trying some local street food or just fancy picking up some edibles; huge variety of sausages, pickles, sweets etc. Oh, and grab yourself a Kürtőskalács ('chimney cake'). Delicious when made fresh - you'll see vendors making these all over the city.

Buda Castle - that's a must too. There's a short funicular railway which you can take from the lower castle, which gives some nice views if you aren't there at peak times. Afterwards, I'd wander along the river for views of the Parliament building, before crossing the Duna and repeating on the other side. Cliché, and I'd usually avoid like the plague, but the hop-on-hop-off buses are worth it in Budapest just to get you from point-to-point or to relax for an hour or so and take in the scenery.

More offbeat suggestions: Memento Park is an open-air statuary museum of Hungary's Communist past. It's around 7miles from the centre, so you'd need a bus/tram. Or you could visit the site of Aquincum, a Roman archaeological site around 4miles outside of the centre.

Negatives - didn't have a great experience with the one taxi we took. Know your money and make sure you aren't being stiffed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thank you for all the fantastic tips, flying monday afternoon and going to take note of all of your suggestions :)

The currency of Hungary (Forint) - you aren't going to the USSR in the 1970s, were you hoping to be a rich Westerner bartering with black market dollars or something? :p

Caporegime
Gellert Spa came highly recommend by the two friends I travelled with.

[allegedly]
Very highly recommended by the top salespeople at a certain large insurance firm too for, erm, private parties. Sadly for the more junior staff there was a pecking order - apparently the fittest girls all wore white armbands and were reserved for senior execs and top deal makers only. [/allegedly]

Soldato
There's a great caving experience in the Buda hills that's well worth doing.

I can highly recommend the organ concert in St. Stephen's Basilica, absolutely fantastic.

If you're looking to visit one of the spas there's some less touristy ones out by Obuda that might be a bit more peaceful.

Visit all the pubs, there's lots of weird and unique ones dotted around the place.

Be careful ordering Kofala, it comes from a tap much like beer and is served in the same size 1/2 litre glass but is in fact communist coca cola. Definitely drink some, it's quite nice, but don't expect it to be alcoholic.

Man of Honour
Be careful ordering Kofala, it comes from a tap much like beer and is served in the same size 1/2 litre glass but is in fact communist coca cola. Definitely drink some, it's quite nice, but don't expect it to be alcoholic.
My girlfriend is Slovak, so Kofola is a household staple for us :cool: As you say, definitely not alcoholic!

Soldato
Supposedly it's illegal to import paprika into Hungary, in any quantity... odd one, but if you have even a teeny tiny Schwartz mini-sachet of it, they will kick off.... supposedly.
Then again, also supposedly, a common thing for cars approaching each other down a single carriageway is for each to generally occupy the centre of the road, and only pull over to their respective sides of the white line shortly before they pass... scares the crap out of tourists.
I say supposedly as I assumed my resident friend was embelishing or outright ************, although I've heard both tales from other people too...

Back
Top Bottom