What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Are wind deflectors worthwhile if you have no AC? Openning windows for fresh air makes radio unhearable.

Depends really. You still get increased wind noise, but it is quieter than with no deflectors, when the window is open. The deflectors themselves to introduce their own noise also, so remember that. But, from my smoking days, I always prefer to crack the window open, even just a little, so I find them useful personally. I wouldn't add them as a styling accessory, but I don't think they look bad, and they do serve a practical purpose.

If you don't drive with the window open usually, and you have AC, then there is probably no point in getting them though.

Don
Today I torqued all my wheel bolts up. When washing the car I noticed that two were missing from the left rear :eek: That could have been interesting if the wheel had fallen off.

Soldato
Went sideways down Craners at Donington..

Driver error, as they usually are with these things! ;)

Trying to fix it all just sort of came naturally so I'm glad I didn't have to think about that, been just over a year since I actually did any proper track time. The only thought I remember is "if this digs it, I'm gonna roll" as I saw grass flying over the windscreen

Bit of work to be done before I take it on track again, was playing it very cautiously and didn't bother doing a full lap at max pace, just slowing down for half a lap then getting back on it. Needs an oil cooler and a set of gauges before I can properly trust it.

Donington seemed.. lax.. on their noise limits today, presumably because it were a public day (Japfest), so I took the opportunity to flat foot shift it in every gear which resulted in this..

chrome_2018-06-30_21-24-25.png

In hindsight... Yeah I'd have still done it anyway :D:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Well at least it didn't go full turbotoaster!

New bumper time, Mugen one won't be cheap

You say that..

I pulled back into pit lane after lap 1 cause smoke starting coming in cabin.. Then remembered I'd spilled a drop of oil when topping it up :D

The rear bumper is a replica fortunately, not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet tbh! Get dremel out and see how creative I can get :D

Soldato
Went sideways down Craners at Donington..

Driver error, as they usually are with these things! ;)

Trying to fix it all just sort of came naturally so I'm glad I didn't have to think about that, been just over a year since I actually did any proper track time. The only thought I remember is "if this digs it, I'm gonna roll" as I saw grass flying over the windscreen

Bit of work to be done before I take it on track again, was playing it very cautiously and didn't bother doing a full lap at max pace, just slowing down for half a lap then getting back on it. Needs an oil cooler and a set of gauges before I can properly trust it.

Donington seemed.. lax.. on their noise limits today, presumably because it were a public day (Japfest), so I took the opportunity to flat foot shift it in every gear which resulted in this..

chrome_2018-06-30_21-24-25.png

In hindsight... Yeah I'd have still done it anyway :D:D
Saw that, was ace

Soldato
Had an oil leak in the beetle since getting it.

Coming from the sump plate but also other places, quite odd, but assmed the gasket needed done and maybe a leak on the gearbox. Ordered the two gaskets and change them. Turned out that only 3 of the 6 copper washers were on the plate but also someone had put both gaskets together then the strainer and plate together, madness. So changed out to gasket, strainer, gasket, plate and seems to have solved the leak. Also added the copper washers.

Also found that there was too much oil in it, seems to be over 3l there when it needs 2.5l. I think it was probably over spilling elsewhere causing the "other" leaks.

Soldato
Are wind deflectors worthwhile if you have no AC? Openning windows for fresh air makes radio unhearable.

Aside from wind noise, on some cars the wind buffeting effect with the windows down can be particularly eardrum shattering and brain imploding at higher speeds :D I've never had wind deflectors, but apparently they seem to solve this problem.

Man of Honour
I dropped the Civic FD2 off at TGM for suspension, brakes and some other bits so I decided to put the Focus in its place in the garage. I was expecting it to be too wide and having to bring the mirrors in but it's gone in without any problems.

10d1be83b77df1830a59645629bc9919.jpg

b8ba4baf0867cd305bf8fd153e667008.jpg

Don
Today I did a deep clean on all the leather of the 650i. I used clothes detergent in a bucket of water and went at it with a soft brush to get all the grime out of the grain. I then conditioned it with Zaino Z10. I bought some colour-matched leather paint and had a go at the worn side bolster. It's not perfect but it's a darn sight better than it was. I need to apply a couple more coats and polish it.
I then attacked the seatbelts which were soiled pretty badly. Again, clothes detergent in a bucket of warm water. I soaked each belt in that solution for 10 minutes and then went at them with a nail brush. Once clean I let them dry in the sun.

rqZ2muD.jpg

wvWnPeV.jpg

DEvdAcM.jpg

Man of Honour
Ordered some F1s to put on the rear. Didn’t realise the Pirelli’s were the original and down to the wear limit. Decent grip still, aided by the warm roads I guess.

Back
Top Bottom