£250 budget phone suggestion

Associate
I've had a moto g4 for the past ~2 years, and it's served me well, but the speakers have failed on me, along with the GPS being patchy (i tried to replace them with no luck), and I think it's time to get a new phone.

Current carrier is giffgaff and priorities would be 1080p screen min, along with the phone being atleast as large as the g4. Additionally, i'd prefer new for a phone, but certified refurbished would do (any possibility of fitting an old pixel or something in this budget??)

I'm budgeting between 200 and 250, and as much as i'd like a flagship model, i don't think i have use for it, nor do i want to spend that kind of money

I mostly want to use the phone for spotify, reddit, messenger and snapchat, and i'm considering trying out pokemon go again

So far i've been looking at the moto g6/ g6 plus, but i can't decide whether the plus is worth the extra money, and i'm not sure the G6 will last as long as i'd like

I've tried to look around for other models, but i wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction/ make some suggestions :)

Associate
Huawei P20 Lite - you can pick up a like-new one for £250. Looks good, Feels nice in the hand, and EMUI isn't hard to get used to. Huawei made the Nexus 6P, and the quality is all there on their own line of phones as well. I've just got a P20 (the P20 Pro is luvverly, but I'm not spending that much!)

Associate
had the g6 plus for a few days well impressed with it found the sound quality using spotify via my bluetooth headphones excellent, nice bright screen no lag whatsoever came from sony z3 definitely a good upgrade .can only find it a CPW in the uk it's an exclusive apparently, honor 9 is a contender at the £250 price point though nice phone.

it's not only more expensive but much more inferior than the redmi note 5 ai dual camera which i bought 2-3 weeks ago for £162.

nothing can compete with chinese phones when looking at budget phones.

I don't really believe that is the case, I've looked into chinese phones a lot recently and there is always one feature missing that I need, for example with the Redmi Note 5 it's aptx and NFC support, NFC in particular is pretty essential these days, other chinese phones can have issues with 4G depending on your network as well.

Caporegime
I don't really believe that is the case, I've looked into chinese phones a lot recently and there is always one feature missing that I need, for example with the Redmi Note 5 it's aptx and NFC support, NFC in particular is pretty essential these days, other chinese phones can have issues with 4G depending on your network as well.

Is aptx separate to Bluetooth version?

It should be part of the standard if it isn't

Associate

Tbh, if you want NFC, I can't argue against this. Everything else you've said I disagree with but I guess it is a shame it doesn't have NFC.

Tbh, if you want NFC, I can't argue against this. Everything else you've said I disagree with but I guess it is a shame it doesn't have NFC.

That's fine I respect your opinion and I understand that not everyone wants the features that I require, that being the case then it's very hard to beat a phone like the Redmi 5, but we are moving into a future of wireless headphones, that's inevitable, as you probably already know a lot of flagship manufacturers are already dropping the headphone jack from their phones, and aptX/HD is pretty much the standard codec on all modern BT headphones, wireless audio is the future and I say that as someone that has a 1K wired headphone setup on my desk, and with regards to NFC, I only carry my phone on me now, no need for my wallet, I can't even imagine not being able to pay for stuff without my phone anymore, it's one of these things that once you become accustomed to you can't live without it.

Yes chinese phones offer great value for money but imo they does come with an asterisk.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in a similar situation as my Z play has just expired (screen died). G6/G6plus look like good options ... Amazon have an "exclusive" version of the G6 which brings spec almost to the "plus" level (64GB + 4GB RAM ... processor is still the slower G6 version and screen is marginally smaller).
Also, seen John Lewis have Nokia 8 at £299 - and from whay I've read they get Android updates a bit faster than Moto (my Z play was still waiting for Oreo). So is that a better (albeit slightly more pricey) option?

Back
Top Bottom