Will i notice a difference if i upgrade for lightroom use?

Soldato
Current spec:

I7 3770k
16gb
256 gb Samsung SSD
GTX 970

Trying to get lightroom faster, is it worth me upgrading, will i notice a difference ?

and if so,how much would i need to spend to notice any

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a pretty solid setup - lots of threads, lots of GPU power. I don't know which resource Lightroom uses most but it's not a weak system in any area. How fast is your RAM? How about CPU clock speed?

When you run Lightroom, what gets used most, CPU or GPU? Try monitoring using MSI Afterburner or similar.

Soldato
CPU and RAM are the main players for lightroom along with fast storage.

Overclock your CPU or you could look at the new 6 cores to get a bump in performance, but a 3770k should handle itself nicely with an overclock.

Associate
Maybe a job for the first gen, and now silly cheep, Threadripper...1950x
Sure lightroom is still not the best for using multiple cores but 16 of em and 32 thread support sure will be nice when/if it ever does.
And Gen1 TR is now silly cheep for the monstrous grunt it has.

Permabanned
Lightroom benefits mainly from high IPC not lots of threads. The biggest difference you will see at the moment is going to a 5Ghz clocked 8700k/8600k and I don't know if that is going to be a big enough difference to make it worth the upgrade cost. What is the the most CPU intensive thing you do in Lightroom or where you feel it is a little slow? Also what version are you using?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lightroom benefits mainly from high IPC not lots of threads. The biggest difference you will see at the moment is going to a 5Ghz clocked 8700k/8600k and that I don't know if that is going to be a big enough difference to make it worth the upgrade cost. What is the the most CPU intensive thing you do in Lightroom or where you feel it is a little slow? Also what version are you using?

Im using the latest version... and just im just trying for an overall speed increase. Just working with 100s of images, editing, moving back and forth etc etc

From a bit of reserach it seems that spending money might not really give a sufficient speed increase to make the cost worth it ...

Back
Top Bottom