Your pet peeves at work?

Soldato
Pet peeve at the minute is management who announce to the whole team that as a team we need to be more mindful of x or y when everyone knows it's directed at a single person and everyone but this single person know exactly who it's aimed at. Just do your bloody job as a manager and speak to the individual.

Oh, and people that eat obnoxiously strong smelling foods at their desk for lunch, especially when they aren't actually working through their lunch, as there's plenty of other places they could go.

Man of Honour
One that is frustrating me at the moment - we have loading bays with vertical scrolling shutters that go up to around 15-17 feet - certain people when removing the bolt that secures them when down are just putting the bolt on the narrow horizontal lip at the bottom of the shutter to save themselves walking 4 steps to one side to place it where it is supposed to go and another 4-8 steps again when putting it back on when the door is closed. One good gust of wind, etc. and that is potentially a couple of kg of metal falling on someone's head.

Does my head in how people either don't care or can't comprehend basic health and safety like this.

Permabanned
People who moan about everything at work. Every day there is always something workers moan about. I can't go into work without one of them having a direct go at another or name calling someone they don't even know! because of X/Y or Z.

Soldato
I had a new one today. My boss looped me into a chain with someone that needed information from me specifically (i.e. the details my boss doesn't know or care about), so I reply with said details. Two hours later the guy replies to my bosses email - not mine - and says something along the lines of "thanks, standing by for info from xxxxx". Argh! Read your emails in the correct order and see newer messages before replying! How hard is it? Now you're making me write the same thing twice! :mad:

I was tempted to reply and ask what I should do with my newfound powers of invisibility :o

Man of Honour
I don't bring in cakes for my birthday, despite it being the office culture. I certainly take no pride in it, it just seems like a collosal waste of money and effort.

However, I don't indulge in the cakes when they are brought in.
Do you get fed intravenously, to prevent the colossal waste of money and effort on cooking and eating?

It's a bit of a shame that someone doing something nice is seen as a "colossal waste of money and effort"

Soldato
I don't bring in cakes for my birthday, despite it being the office culture. I certainly take no pride in it, it just seems like a collosal waste of money and effort.

However, I don't indulge in the cakes when they are brought in.
Depending on how large your office is it could just be a £5 which would give everyone a little treat. It's a selfless thing to do which cheers everyone up a bit.

I'm assuming that if it's the office culture that they at least pay you sufficiently to allow you to buy some cakes?

Caporegime
Depending on how large your office is it could just be a £5 which would give everyone a little treat. It's a selfless thing to do which cheers everyone up a bit.

I'm assuming that if it's the office culture that they at least pay you sufficiently to allow you to buy some cakes?

Tbf, as an immigrant, this is one UK tradition I can't get behind. It's my birthday, y'all should be doing a whip-round and buying me the cakes. :p

That said, my missus often bakes some obnoxiously good cakes, and I often bring them in to the office for no particular reason. :D

Associate
Tbf, as an immigrant, this is one UK tradition I can't get behind. It's my birthday, y'all should be doing a whip-round and buying me the cakes. :p

That said, my missus often bakes some obnoxiously good cakes, and I often bring them in to the office for no particular reason. :D

This! If you go out for a drink with your mates on your birthday, generally people get you a pint... not the other way round, so why is the office culture different?! :p

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Buzz words
People not cleaning up the kitchen area after making a cuppa.
People not holding doors open for me when I'm right behind them.
People not saying thank you after I've held the door open for them.
People not washing their hands after using the toilets.

Man of Honour

As someone born here I don't understand it - I've never worked somewhere that does it either though heard from others that do. Most places I've worked the company has bought in cake on someone's birthday if anything has been done at all.

Soldato
When were told about a new management strategy and how were should approach our work. These generally take the form of recycled philosophies and repackaged ideas mixed in with a bunch of anagrams cooked up by a clever person and sold to the gullible.

People not cleaning up after they've used the microwave or toaster.

People who use the toilet and leave it dirty (each toilet is left with a cleaning brush).

I'll 2nd @Gee peeve of 'Buzz words'.

Back
Top Bottom