**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Associate
What's the quickest way to port over things from an iPhone to the P20 Pro? A mate has upgraded and is clueless on what's best route to take to bring over contacts, messages. I believe WhatsApp isn't cross platform transferable? Thanks.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
So, purchased the P20 Pro on Friday.
Initial feelings are positive overall. The camera is as good as expected, EXCEPT if I want to use RAW I can't use the zoom?!?!?
Rather disappointed in that given this is a very photography centered device.

Couple of niggles:
Twitter notifications do not take me to the specific tweet, but just open the Twitter app. On my iPhone it would go to the tweet in the notification.
Also, so far, I cannot get it connected to the car.
Car system finds the device and then just stalls 'connecting to device'.
Tried restarting the phone etc. Very annoying and not much to try really to fix that!
Anyone else had issues?

Soldato
So, purchased the P20 Pro on Friday.
Initial feelings are positive overall. The camera is as good as expected, EXCEPT if I want to use RAW I can't use the zoom?!?!?
Rather disappointed in that given this is a very photography centered device.

Couple of niggles:
Twitter notifications do not take me to the specific tweet, but just open the Twitter app. On my iPhone it would go to the tweet in the notification.
Also, so far, I cannot get it connected to the car.
Car system finds the device and then just stalls 'connecting to device'.
Tried restarting the phone etc. Very annoying and not much to try really to fix that!
Anyone else had issues?

I had to give mine back because of incompatible issues with Android Auto, it's a shame as otherwise I would have definitely kept it.

Soldato
Really starting to find the post-processing on this thing annoying now.

The camera is great. Viewing the "live" image, there's plenty of detail. But at times this isn't carried over to the photographs. Instead, the phone mucks about with them, delivering noise instead of detail. It's a real shame, because the hardware is clearly capable.

I was at a gig this evening. I took a couple of videos and a bunch of photos. The videos are utter garbage. As are all of the photos, except the ones taken in 40MP RAW. And those, unfortunately, lack detail because the phone won't allow the optical zoom to be used for either 40MP or RAW. Really disappointing. If the phone wasn't mucking about with sharpness, the 10MP images would be pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really starting to find the post-processing on this thing annoying now.

The camera is great. Viewing the "live" image, there's plenty of detail. But at times this isn't carried over to the photographs. Instead, the phone mucks about with them, delivering noise instead of detail. It's a real shame, because the hardware is clearly capable.

I was at a gig this evening. I took a couple of videos and a bunch of photos. The videos are utter garbage. As are all of the photos, except the ones taken in 40MP RAW. And those, unfortunately, lack detail because the phone won't allow the optical zoom to be used for either 40MP or RAW. Really disappointing. If the phone wasn't mucking about with sharpness, the 10MP images would be pretty good.

Yeah I don't really like the auto post processing either, but flick it to "pro" to stop it. Im not sure why it doesn't have optical zoom in pro?

Soldato
Pro doesn't shut it off. RAW does, but you don't get zoom. Even using a different camera app doesn't shut it off.

Very irritating.

Associate
Turning off AI and then using pro mode seems to help.

Tuning off the AI sorts it out, stops it applying whatever "mode" it thinks best.

Went to see Queen & Adam Lambert at the SSE Arena, while there's a small amount of grain on the photos, it's at a perfectly acceptable level - I was using it with AI on. Videos are very clear and sharp.

Last edited:
Soldato
550£ for brand new 20pro seems a good price ??
Wife's wants to replace her s6 and she seen p20 adverts...it's around 550 in Dubai where we are now...

Back
Top Bottom