Wi-Fi on long haul flights?

Soldato
I normally fill my iPad up and use that rather than the IFE. In economy the screen is about 3 times as big and in business it's normally still bigger. I normally have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky Go and BBC to choose from.

Associate
Depending on what type of connectivity the plane has your on sometimes they can support streaming but as Rotty said it's often unreliable but if you just want email / whatsapp etc most are fine for that. Most use satellite broadband, which on the newer systems can support streaming depending on how new their setup is. Be *very* cautious of the ones that you connect via 3G (they emulate a base station) as they can be like > £5 per megabyte (E.g. Aeromobile http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_International/Mobile_Roaming?content_aid=1220478515831).... ouch!

Soldato
I used the WiFi on Delta once from LHR to BOS and it was surprisingly good, better than most train wifi (although that's not saying much)

Heading to LAX in the morning via American Airlines (Dreamliner) I'll give it a go and report back!

Soldato
Ooooooo, buy a Switch and a few games. Time always flies after I crack out the Switch :D

Actually, recently got gifted Xenoblade Chronicles 2 from the wife, just in time for several flights (4 of which are 9+ hours) at the end of August.

Soldato
I flew with TAM to Brazil and back and had Wifi.

It's something like £10 for 5mb and I couldn't even use it. Just didn't workapart from one lucky 10 minute period.

The best you can hope for on most airlines is limited, intermittent service. I.e lock your phone down to no data mode and just allow whatsapp messages to chat to people (but block images)

Back
Top Bottom