One Car for the next 10 years

Soldato
Surprised at the number of estate cars getting chosen.

I can't argue though as I've had my S4 Avant for nearly 8 years and it's been perfectly practical for carrying all my DIY materials, and then fun when I get the chance.

Seems to be a popular choice but I'd have an RS6 if funds ever allowed.

daz

daz

Soldato
Quite fancy a Cayenne eHybrid (the new one).

~85g/km CO2, 450BHP, comfy and sporty without maintenance being ruinous.

Soldato
Probably a fast(er) hatch than what I currently have, so RS3, Mk2 RS, M140i maybe? It would depend on test driving them really.

Man of Honour
Surprised at the number of estate cars getting chosen.

I can't argue though as I've had my S4 Avant for nearly 8 years and it's been perfectly practical for carrying all my DIY materials, and then fun when I get the chance.

Seems to be a popular choice but I'd have an RS6 if funds ever allowed.
Personally, I think estates are great. They often look sleeker than the equivalent hatchback, have much greater practicality, and have no major drawbacks.

Soldato
Golf GTI or Golf R

I appreciate it's not as exciting as some of the cars mentioned here. But I've live my life out of warm Golf's over the years. I've even moved house in them a couple of times. Yet they are decent enough to enjoy driving spiritedly. I'll probably always have something similar in my life because they are so useful.

Tbh, I'm the same with my mk5 Gti, love it. Will be getting a few mods and looking at upping the power to 350bhp but it's a great all rounder. Fun to drive, fits the family and is comfortable enough when sat in traffic, plus, you've got the VW scene.

There are a few cars I'd be tempted by if I am honest just for the extra power. S4/RS4, 370z or GTR for more power but you lose practicality with the last 2.

Soldato
I've had my fair share of fast/sports cars in the past but the longest car I've kept is my current BMW X1(6 years now).Slated by many when they came out but I've found it a fantastic alrounder. Something like this I'd want for 10 years probably. If i didnt need to commute I'd probably get something small and nippy. Parking my other car (an old 2004 Yaris) is so easy, much more enjoyable parking in cities than the X1. QUite like the look of the new X2.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Personally, I think estates are great. They often look sleeker than the equivalent hatchback, have much greater practicality, and have no major drawbacks.

+1, or nearly anyway. I don't rate the looks of our E91, I think the older E46 touring was better looking, as are the newer versions. For all that, it's just such a brilliant all rounder.

Soldato
Tesla Model X P100D

I hate paying for fuel - and assuming we're ignoring purchase price and depreciation (a la Ferrari's) - running costs should be manageable.

Problem with Tesla is there are a lot of unknowns and it looks like a big risk running one for so long out of warranty. Parts and repairs on them is super expensive, if you can find the parts!

Then you have the issue of actually finding a local mechanic who will work on it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Then you have the issue of actually finding a local mechanic who will work on it.
I was talking with a local garage owner recently who’s started working on a few Tesla’s and said he’s found them no worse than anything else tbh if anything he said they actually seem to have thought about maintenance when designing and they don’t seem to be deliberately complex when it comes to access for certain parts unlike many modern manufacturers who seem to try to make things as difficult as possible to work on!

Back
Top Bottom