Laptop in a bad way.... any help?

Associate
It suddenly takes about 30 mins to get into windows, won't load anything as it just takes to long. Never seen anything like it in all my years of computing, usually if something is broken it just doesn't work. This is just so slow it doesn't work.

On a side note, it is unusually quiet. Could it be because it not running properly it doesn't need the fans or could it be a side effect of one of the fans going??

It's a windows 10 approx 3 year old toshiba laptop, i5 the one before skylake whatever that was....

Any help would be appreciated, would rather not splash out on another laptop right now!:)

Associate
9 times out of 10 when i see ****** laptops its due to the machine taking a dunt when in use and bolloxing the hdd.
boot to safe mode, run a proper scandisk with sector check and fix. leave for hours... and hope it fixes it.

i hate laptops. :mad:

Associate
OP
9 times out of 10 when i see ****** laptops its due to the machine taking a dunt when in use and bolloxing the hdd.
boot to safe mode, run a proper scandisk with sector check and fix. leave for hours... and hope it fixes it.

i hate laptops. :mad:

Thanks, what's a dunt? As in a bump??

I did hit it the other day cus I was so angry I locked myself out of my Kucoin account for 2 hours due to a problem with my google authenticator..... hahaha

Maybe I should stop hitting my laptop?

As above check hard disk, if its ballsed then get an SSD and breath new life into it. :)

Cheers, are nomal ssd's ok or do I need a special laptop one? Sorry for silly question

Associate
OP
Ok quick update, I just restarted and it says on a big black screen "no bootable device" so is this definately a hard drive issue?

I can drop in one of my ssd's from my desktop, just got some games that I can reinstall on the second one so should be ok?

Another question, it's a factory installed windows 10, how on earth do I reinstall windows? There's no optical drive so no recovery disk haha

Associate
OP
Thanks so I can do this on my main pc and microsoft just "knows" this laptop had windows 10..... or will it be using the license from my main pc?

Also if someone can confirm that this is definately a hard drive issue (no boot device lol) that'd be great! Just want to be certain before I wipe a hard drive.:)

Soldato
I'd pull the drive, connect it to a desktop, and then run the manufacturer's diagnostic (assuming the drive is actually visible).

Creating the installation media doesn't use any licence. The licence is applied once you install it on the target machine.

Back
Top Bottom