*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
been using the Cloud Key for a few days, so far so good, its nice to have external access to it via ubnt website

Do you have to use the short Ethernet lead with it? any reason why i cant use a slightly longer cable?

Associate
Anyone tried the NanoHD UAP's yet?
Thinking of swapping out some Pro's for them.

I stuck one in my living room to replace the Technicolour TG582n plusnet wireless n routers Wi-Fi. I was getting buffering when streaming with the Oculus Go and this has stopped that and sped up the other devices experiences.

Initial setup was easy but choosing ‘save’ in the controller software when altering settings took a while to figure out when going in blind!

With VHT160 I get 800 Mbps connection to the Oculus Go and my Galaxy Tab S2 from a few meters away. Iphone X is 750 Mbps with TX rates reported several hundred less.

Very impressed with the user experience.

Only gripe is twice a “wireless event: DFS: Radar detected on channel 128 (freq 5640)” has triggered which seems to knock out the signal?

Soldato
What are people's views of the Amplifi HD router? Thinking of buying two, one as the main router and one as a mesh node (mesh node because I can utilize the Ethernet ports).

Soldato
If you wanted to wall mount it, why not buy the wall-mounted one? The ceiling mounted units transmit in a squashed half-globe away from the access point with the widest range being at the edges so if you wall mount it you can probably pick up your Wi-fi in low-flying aircraft and anyone mining under your house is also in luck. Ironically, the direct line out the centre of the access point is quite weak. Seriously, send it back and get an AP-AC-IW-Pro.

Unfortunately this is a downside of the default response to any Wi-fi problem being ‘Unifi’. It’s not.

From your response you haven’t mounted it on the ceiling? It never fails to amaze me that people buy a ceiling mounted access point and are surprised when it doesn’t work as well as their 360-degree tabletop unit when they don’t ceiling mount it.

And I think people don’t really see the benefits when they use 1 - what makes these ‘enterprise’ is that you can install 2 or 200 and you only update the controller once and it provisions all of them the same.

They can’t transmit any more power because that’s legally fixed and the antennae work only work properly when fixed to a flat horizontal surface so if you don’t ceiling mount them they’re often worse than a domestic router/access point.

So basically if these space ships are not mounted on the ceeling, the performance of the wifi isn't much better then a normal AP?. You lot recommended me buying one of these and said they were the best thing since slice bread and the wifi range was awesome aswell.. now you say they are good because you can have more then 1 of these things and actually the wifi power isnt a lot better then on standard APs. Annoying.

Soldato
So basically if these space ships are not mounted on the ceeling, the performance of the wifi isn't much better then a normal AP?. You lot recommended me buying one of these and said they were the best thing since slice bread and the wifi range was awesome aswell.. now you say they are good because you can have more then 1 of these things and actually the wifi power isnt a lot better then on standard APs. Annoying.

When you asked for a recommendation did you say you wanted to mount it on the wall above the front door?

Even if you did I doubt you would have got many different answers. One access point is pretty much the same as another. The LISTENING capability of the AP-AC-LR is superb. Only the £350 AP-AC-HD is better in terms of receiving antenna performance but transmit power is limited by law and the transmitters are mounted to give optimum performance when fitted on a flat ceiling. The higher up the better because that broadens the squashed half-globe being emitted.

Unifi isn’t the access point. It’s the controller and the access point. If you need more range, add more access points. If you’re that disappointed, I’ll give you another AP-AC-LR or AP-AC-IW to extend your coverage and you can get that one ceiling mounted so you can see what they can really do.

Send me your details in trust and whether you want to wall-mount or ceiling mount and I’ll send you one out. I can’t say fairer than that.

Associate
What are people's views of the Amplifi HD router? Thinking of buying two, one as the main router and one as a mesh node (mesh node because I can utilize the Ethernet ports).

I’ve been using it over a year now. It’s very reliable and has good support from Ubiquiti. It gets regular updates with new features, performance improvements etc.

Soldato
I’ve been using it over a year now. It’s very reliable and has good support from Ubiquiti. It gets regular updates with new features, performance improvements etc.
Reliability is King. Been reading about all the mesh products out there and it's a confusing minefield but I would give up speed and a bit of range for absolute stability.

Soldato
Reliability is King. Been reading about all the mesh products out there and it's a confusing minefield but I would give up speed and a bit of range for absolute stability.

You shouldn’t have to give up reliability for range and speed. It’s not as if there are any moving parts in an access point. The only thing that tends to impact on reliability is the firmware - and UBNT have had issues with memory leaks that caused reboots but in general they are utterly reliable as you would expect from devices that claim to be Enterprise class.

Soldato
You shouldn’t have to give up reliability for range and speed. It’s not as if there are any moving parts in an access point. The only thing that tends to impact on reliability is the firmware - and UBNT have had issues with memory leaks that caused reboots but in general they are utterly reliable as you would expect from devices that claim to be Enterprise class.
Indeed but I was talking about Amplifi, same company but not their Enterprise side. The BT Whole Home WiFi is meant to be a very capable (home) system but plauged with firmware issues. Hell, even our HP MSM's at work I have to reboot the controller or an AP almost every day.

I think I'm quite set on getting an Amplifi HD system. Seems to tick all the boxes for me. Just wanted to grasp experiences from people who have the system.

Soldato
Indeed but I was talking about Amplifi, same company but not their Enterprise side. The BT Whole Home WiFi is meant to be a very capable (home) system but plauged with firmware issues. Hell, even our HP MSM's at work I have to reboot the controller or an AP almost every day.

I think I'm quite set on getting an Amplifi HD system. Seems to tick all the boxes for me. Just wanted to grasp experiences from people who have the system.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t buy a Unifi AP rather than a non-core ‘consumer’ product that pretty much every review out there says is a bit ‘meh’.

If you need RJ45 ports as well then get AP-AC-IW or AP-AC-IW-Pro which gives you two out of the box and with the PoE pass though you then power a US-8 for another 7. If you go with Unifi you are investing in a core UBNT product range that you can expand and will improve with time as firmware and controller updates are released.

Amplifi is a side-line for UBNT. They don’t even have a forum for it on their community. Even the LED IoT light panel has a forum!

Soldato
There are many reasons why an Enterprise product is not suitable for my particular needs or wants, hence asking about their home based range. I appreciate I'm asking in this thread but I thought it the best place to ask.

Thank you for your time and input anyway.

Soldato
@ubern00b - I would definitely watch the Crosstalk Solutions YouTube reviews on the Amplifi system before spending any money. Chris Sherwood is a huge supporter of UBNT so if anyone would be putting out a positive review t would be him. His first experience was a DISASTER and even after he subsequently got an update it still worked extremely poorly.

If you really want to blow he same amount of money on a part-developed solution that isn’t a sales success and probably will be allowed to die a quiet death when the development team’s contracts expire, then you go right ahead. I’m just trying to tear you away from the steaming pile of poo. If you want a mesh system the AP-AC Mesh or Mesh Pro are much better options.

Back
Top Bottom