Help Needed for pfsense/Ubiquiti Build

Soldato
There are a few ways of getting a PCIe x4 card into a x1 slot. None of them are ideal and you end up with the card running at x1 speeds. It depends how desperate you are.

This assumes that the card will handle it.

Soldato
OP
Its a realtek one, i dont know if it makes a difference.

I will need one for the WAN, one for the LAN, one for the unifi and then i saw mention above about a DMZ one (i assumed that would be a dedicated gaming port)

Soldato
I can’t see why you’d need a dedicated port for an access point.

Not sure why you’d need a DMZ either. Is it something you currently use or have a definite use for?

Soldato
OP
I can’t see why you’d need a dedicated port for an access point.

Not sure why you’d need a DMZ either. Is it something you currently use or have a definite use for?

No sorry im a networking NOOB and only know about it by what someone mentioned further up.

I know that i did use my xbox one x in DMZ mode on my asus router tho when i was having nat problems being moderate or strict.

Caporegime
Won't a PCIe X4 card just hang out the back of an X1 slot and work fine?

Edit: My bad, you'd need to cut the back out of the slot plastic.

Associate
Ok cool,

Going to order that network card you mentioned earlier with the 4 ports on it so it will help if i ever need it.

Thanks for the help so far... Its a nightmare trying to get my head round everything but should be worth it in the end.

Let us know how you get on, there are some good youtube videos and websites/blogs on how to install pfsense.

Associate
My setups a little more complected than yours as Im running pfsense through a virtual machine.

However I just bought 2 cheap £10 pciex1 cards from the rain forest. Then a cheap £15 gigabit network switch and everything works great.

I have 2 network cards as dedicated lan and Wan ports. The Lan cable goes into a switch which then splits off to my various devices and my wireless access point

Soldato
My pfSense box is a Dell R210ii, which has 2 onboard gigabit LAN ports, I originally had one for LAN and one for WAN, but now I have a managed switch, I plugged the modem into the switch to make use of the VLANs on my Vigor 130, allowing me to access the admin page while in bridge mode. So now my 2 ports are just bonded for a 2GB link.

Back
Top Bottom