gatorskins direction

Commissario
No idea, all I can tell you is that when I was looking at tyres, I was advised away from gatorskins by pretty much everyone. At the suggestion of a number of people on here, including @FrenchTart I bought Continental Grand Prix 4 Season because the description and reviews I could find suggested they'd be exactly what I wanted. I've been very happy with them.

Soldato
They're probably the most common retrofit tyre on racy road bikes there is. Basically the go to for shops when people ask for a tyre with a bit of puncture protection.

Soldato
4seasons I'd go for if I needed something all year round. Gives some actual grip compared to gatorskins which are pretty bad in the dry and absolutely scary in the wet.

That and if you do need to change a puncture. Good luck in the darkest depths of winter.

Soldato
4 seasons is basically a winter gp4000. I can see why lots of folks go for it though, it's a fast tyre, easily available and handles well too

Don
I had no terrible experiences with gators apart from I could never get them on or off easily. 4 seasons are great though

Same - had them for ages and never had any issue. Switched front to 4 season awhile ago though and going to switch the rear this week.

Not sure what "grip" people are expecting from skinny road tyres. I certainly can't see any additional grip since changing.

Soldato
Priced way too high now, we sell more Schwalbe Durano for people looking for puncture resistance.

I slid along the road one day on Gatorskins just riding to work slowly. Rear wheels slip on steep tree lined climbs etc.

Love GP4000s but have fitted Corsa G+ for the grey sidewall, not as supple as the GP4000s though.

To answer the question the wee triangles are forward towards the front like an arrow shape ^^ with the bigger blocks to the rear.

Soldato
I'm running GP4000s on 2 bikes I think... Aeroad has them, I think the ultimate does in 28s too and then the mavics on the pink one. Mavic tyres seem soft as anything! Only reason I am running them is because they're brand new, but not had any complaints with them. I ran the GPs all through winter outside fine, too. I do like a 4 season though, they're a fantastic all year tyre.

Man of Honour
Same - had them for ages and never had any issue. Switched front to 4 season awhile ago though and going to switch the rear this week.

Not sure what "grip" people are expecting from skinny road tyres. I certainly can't see any additional grip since changing.

Gatorskins have no wet grip at all. There's a world of difference between them and any half-decent tyre as soon as there's the tiniest bit of damp on the road.

Back
Top Bottom