New essential Android apps thread

Anyone known of a free app that can automate some tasks like switching off mobile data when I'm at home/work?
you may have other reasons for this, but as soon as you're connected to wifi, mobile data is disabled, so assuming you use work wifi there's no need to be disabling or enabling anything.

i used to disable wifi when not in use, but really there's no point now as the power saving is minimal and life is sweeter not thinking about it

Is it really? I always turn wifi off when not at home or at work. I'd imagine constantly scanning for networks uses a lot of battery no? :confused:

even if you switch off wifi, android will as standard still switch it on and off to check location and anything else they fancy doing.

but seriously what phone do you have? if it's anything newer than the first nexus 5, then don't worry about it. one app will use far more battery than wifi being left on constantly.

plus imagine the app you're downloading will be using battery to check location however often it does this, and will potentially be using wifi any way to get that location, even when it's switched off

Soldato
Managed to get some odd advert popups on my XL2 :(

Any good tools to remove it? I've never got anything like this I'm always reallycareful

Got over £10 in my reward funds if I need to spend a few pounds

Soldato
Managed to get some odd advert popups on my XL2 :(

Any good tools to remove it? I've never got anything like this I'm always reallycareful

Got over £10 in my reward funds if I need to spend a few pounds

Check what apps you have installed first.

Is it popups in chrome or when you are on your homescreen?

can't remember if i asked this before, but is there a good way to control a mobile/tablet from a pc? or at the least read/send text messages without having to do anything on the device? i know of airdroid, and as good as it is, from what i understand you have to click "allowed" each time. i want to be able to have the phone in the office tucked away and access the device texts/whatsapp without having to get the device out.

Associate
can't remember if i asked this before, but is there a good way to control a mobile/tablet from a pc? or at the least read/send text messages without having to do anything on the device? i know of airdroid, and as good as it is, from what i understand you have to click "allowed" each time. i want to be able to have the phone in the office tucked away and access the device texts/whatsapp without having to get the device out.

I think Googles own messaging app let's you use texts from a pc.

Associate

Pushbullet lets you send texts from your PC, and you can use the whatsapp web app on PC too (web.whatsapp.com)

Soldato
+1 to Android Messages, seems to work pretty well.

I have Cortana installed as well which works nicely when receiving messages, you can respond to them, but you can't initiate a new message. Still, it works nicely to see 2 factor SMS codes pop up on screen, avoids having to even touch the phone.

I did use Pushbullet, but I've moved away from them for other alternatives (Using Pocket to save links now).

Back
Top Bottom