100 years of the RAF

Soldato
I'm sure it will be.

We had a pretty good view from the office :cool: Although we were amazed how quiet they all were!EDIT: Got it working :cool:

I was on the Mall today and i thought the same, but it's to be expected if you think about it, other than the rotary's most of the fixed wings are just ticking over at that speed :p

Possibly a spare, breaking off to either return to it’s base or a holding area, should anything happen to one of the display aircraft.

spare and/or a 'whip' aircraft which sits above the formation to help get them into accurate formation :) RAF Coningsby have shared a few photos on facebook from said whip aircraft this evening :)

Associate
Watched from Green Park on my lunch break. It was actually a fairly impressive display. Even though I've seen the Red Arrows around 30 times, they always give me goosebumps.

The park was actually fairly packed full of people shakily filming the aircraft in the wrong aspect ratio on their phones. I don't get it - it's much nicer to watch things with your actual eyeballs.

Caporegime
OP
it's much nicer to watch things with your actual eyeballs.

Agreed. Here at work I mentioned the flyover to a load of people and before I knew it there were loads of people on the terrace holding their phones up and watching the tiny little screens to make sure they weren't missing anything. Me, being the superior and all knowing human I am, was well aware that there would be terabytes of footage of the flyover so just stood there and enjoyed it.

(this is a new thing btw, had this happened two years ago I would've also been filming, I think I'm just getting old)

Caporegime
OP
Oh and whilst we're celebrating the RAF, this documentary is a must see. It really does highlight what an amazing bunch of heroes we have. They had to get an old Vulcan airworthy again and to give you an idea of the attitude they had, one of the parts they required was being used as an ash tray in the mess room, so they cleaned it up and fitted it :D

Amazing stuff, you must watch this if you haven't already.

Caporegime
A Lancaster did a couple of fly-by's over the house recently it was an amazing sight, I only took notice of what was flying overhead because of the engine noise. It was flying really low as well. They should just build a fleet of them along with Spitfires/Hurricanes and have some kind of display like the Red Arrows do.

Man of Honour
Anyone been to the Mach Loop in mid Wales? A very good spot to watch them do some low-level training.

Parents took us up there one year when I was a kid - you can't even imagine what it is like when the Tornados go through on "full afterburner" (or at least that is the perception of what they are doing) unless experiencing it in person.

Back
Top Bottom