Will ISP's ever let you use 3rd party routers for fibre

Associate
I've just today swapped out the ISPs router for a HG612 in modem mode connected to pfsense firewall/router. The instructions included how to connect a third party router (although some things had to be searched for online). I'm with Utility Warehouse which I believe is TalkTalk as a provider.

You may need to lookup PPPoE, IoE, VLAN and all sorts of other stuff which your ISP supplied router just takes care of.

Soldato
Been used my own router with fttc fibre since it became a thing, with several providers. It's never a supported config though, just have to keep the supplied router in a cupboard just in case you need isp support

Soldato
As long as you research your preferred ISPs before hand you should have no problem finding a suitable fibre provider that will let you use your own router

Probably because other than Sky (as you’re aware), non of them refuse to provide details/instructions and the one (Sky) that does has a well proven work around that they choose to ignore or if you are a pro customer you can have them.

Associate
The only company I know that support you with a different Router is Zen Internet. Excellent company by the way. They helped me setup my Draytek even though they don't provide one with their service.

Soldato
Zen are great for this, used all sorts of hardware with various zen installs and never had an issue with the service or their support.

Associate
I've had sky fibre for about 4 years and have run various different routers on it. Currently got a nighthawk D7000 which works well but does lock up every now and then. I got the details from a sky agent for my username and they said they don't care so long as when you want tech support you plug thier supplied router in. Queried why and they said it's so they don't have to train the staff in lots of different model routers. Seemed logical to me.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've had sky fibre for about 4 years and have run various different routers on it. Currently got a nighthawk D7000 which works well but does lock up every now and then. I got the details from a sky agent for my username and they said they don't care so long as when you want tech support you plug thier supplied router in. Queried why and they said it's so they don't have to train the staff in lots of different model routers. Seemed logical to me.

Why does it lock up?

Back
Top Bottom