So much for dealer servicing

Soldato
Two weeks ago I had a major service done on the car, includes every filter and oil.
Today came to clean the Aircon with one of those bombs you set off on the car. Decided to take the pollen filter so the stuff had chance to be recirculated.
Imagine my surprise when the filter I fitted 8 months ago was still there not a 2 week old one.

Phoned them up and they're basically calling me a lier saying the tech is adamant he changed it, got to wait to speak to the service manager on Monday but I don't imagine anything will come of it. Extremely disappointed, especially when I then checked the fuel filter and that is covered in dust and doesn't look touched.

Emailed Ford Customer Relations, and forwarded that same email to my local trading standards.

Last time I use a dealer for anything other than buying the car.

I'm going to buy the oil, oil filter, pollen filter and fuel filter and get them all changed just incase. The air filter looks brand new but that's easy to change so I'm guessing they just couldn't be bothered with the stuff that takes longer than a couple of minutes.

Soldato
Ford, doesn't surprise me. This is why you should always ask for the old items back. Even if it means throwing them away yourself.

Heck, stick some stickers over screws and bolts. If they are not disturbed you will know lol

Soldato
OP
I don't see how they can deny it, I fitted a K&n washable pollen filter, bit decided it was rubbish as it wasn't carbon activited so didn't mind them binning it. Didn't expect it to still be there. They basically accused me of removing the one they fitted and putting this in, don't know how that explains the 8 months worth of dirt and leaves.
See how it goes from the various emails I've sent out.

It's out of warranty next year so won't be going near a dealer again. But the bits myself and get father inlaws mechanic friend to do it. Always done a good job on our older cars.

Soldato
OP
I wouldnt expect a tech to throw away a washable and reusable K&N filter.
No I honestly either thought it would be put in the boot or binned. Either way it was rubbish and let all the car fumes in the car. Standard ones definitely better.

Anyone any experience of this sort of things will trading standards show an interest, at the very least I would expect a full refund or them to reservice the car while I watch.

Associate
They have already made a rod for their own back by telling lies about that filter, so they are un-trustworthy about the rest of service.
Was it ticked on service schedule ?
I would photo it in place and fuel filter condition as proof when u go see them.

Cheers
Dave
:)

Soldato
OP
They have already made a rod for their own back by telling lies about that filter, so they are un-trustworthy about the rest of service.
Was it ticked on service schedule ?
I would photo it in place and fuel filter condition as proof when u go see them.

Cheers
Dave
:)

I took a photo of the filter as soon as I took it out, put it back in for now but left the glove box off so easy access.
The funny thing is they're still positive or was changed. I kept saying so your calling me a lier and he just said no that's not what I'm saying.
So I said either the tech guy is lieing or I am and I can prove it's not been changed.
He suggested he could have done something if I had brought it to there attention sooner but two weeks is too long it could have been changed again.
To which I replied so I'm supposed to check everything before I drive off and he didn't answer.
We will see if the service manager phones me before midday Monday before I phone him and see wear they are going to do. If they just offer to change that one filter in not bothering.

It's listed on my invoice so I've paid for it.

Soldato
OP
A thought that entered my mind, I paid with my credit card would they be able to do anything if I've essentially paid for something that hasn't been done. The only bit I can sort of prove is the £10 pollen filter the rest may or may not have been done.

Soldato
I took a photo of the filter as soon as I took it out, put it back in for now but left the glove box off so easy access.
The funny thing is they're still positive or was changed. I kept saying so your calling me a lier and he just said no that's not what I'm saying.
So I said either the tech guy is lieing or I am and I can prove it's not been changed.
He suggested he could have done something if I had brought it to there attention sooner but two weeks is too long it could have been changed again.
To which I replied so I'm supposed to check everything before I drive off and he didn't answer.
We will see if the service manager phones me before midday Monday before I phone him and see wear they are going to do. If they just offer to change that one filter in not bothering.

It's listed on my invoice so I've paid for it.

If you paid by card surely this is what chargebacks are for? Might need to do some research or ask the question with the card issuer .... I'd be furious.

Soldato
Unfortunately not too far away from the sorts of experiences I've had at a couple of ford dealers.

On the fiesta attempting to claim tyres with 4mm tread remaining were sitting at 2mm and worn inside...when a mere visual inspection showed that to be nonsense. Claimed to have stripped / cleaned down the rear calipers on a car with drums...

On my own car they (minorly) damaged my freshly painted bumper then denied all knowledge even when I explained it had been painted days before and hasn't moved from my house. I then discovered I had one completely missing wheel nut and have had both of my headlight washer covers fall off as they broke the clips putting the thing back together. Infuriating but really quite difficult to do much about a month or so after the event. They did at least actually change the oil and filters I guess and there certainly is a new radiator in there.

Unfortunately my experience of Skoda was similar, constant poor workmanship when they were left to do anything other than regular servicing. It'll be much more about individual dealerships than specific manufacturer franchises I know, but it definitely puts me off the brands a little

Caporegime
Unfortunately not too far away from the sorts of experiences I've had at a couple of ford dealers.

On the fiesta attempting to claim tyres with 4mm tread remaining were sitting at 2mm and worn inside...when a mere visual inspection showed that to be nonsense. Claimed to have stripped / cleaned down the rear calipers on a car with drums...

On my own car they (minorly) damaged my freshly painted bumper then denied all knowledge even when I explained it had been painted days before and hasn't moved from my house. I then discovered I had one completely missing wheel nut and have had both of my headlight washer covers fall off as they broke the clips putting the thing back together. Infuriating but really quite difficult to do much about a month or so after the event. They did at least actually change the oil and filters I guess and there certainly is a new radiator in there.

Unfortunately my experience of Skoda was similar, constant poor workmanship when they were left to do anything other than regular servicing. It'll be much more about individual dealerships than specific manufacturer franchises I know, but it definitely puts me off the brands a little

I had a classic from BMW - had a squealing noise which nobody could diagnose. Anyways - in their efforts to eliminate it they apparently refurbished both front and rear brake calipers. 2 weeks later I took the car to get the tyres changed - they couldn't get the front wheels off. When they finally did they found it was because the wheels were pretty much fused to the discs with corrosion. No way in hell had BMW removed them just 2 weeks beforehand and if they had they certainly hadn't cleaned them up before putting them back on.

Soldato
Yea don't bother with any dealer service/warranty package, just a rip off.

Find a local garage/mechanic you trust, for everything you can't do yourself.

Don't let a main dealer/manufacturer go anywhere near your car. They are complete rip off merchants.

At work my mate had a vauxhall zafira with dodgy power steering, they said it was a common problem and would run it through the diagnostic. Then, told my mate that because the VIN was outside of some set range, they couldn't do it for free, then charged her £110+ VAT for running the diagnostic.

My other mate had a new Citroen DS3, she tpol it for it's 2 year service, and they told her the brakes were "red" and urgently needed doing. Other than some surface rust they had at least 50% wear left....

Soldato
OP
Without getting under the car and checking I think I'm going to have the oil, oil filter and fuel filter done.
Pollen filter I can do myself.

I will straight away ask for a full refund. If they refuse I will see what they say about me talking to my credit card company about fraud.

Soldato
you can normally tell from increased flow if the pollen filter is changed...?

Do ford suck the oil out or traditional ? especially if they're putting expensive synthetic in

Caporegime
I wouldnt expect a tech to throw away a washable and reusable K&N filter.

Really? Is there a large market for used k&n filters?

Because they've been paid to replace it and billed for the new part so unless theyr e keeping it for a private collection or evening it what else do your expect them to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom