31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

Soldato
Not a big fan of digital vibrance because as far as I know it makes all of the colours inaccurate, also 67% is quite a lot, does it require 67% DV just to get it looking similar to the PG348Q? Although the fact you are happy with the LG coming from the Asus is interesting. Most things about this monitor look good except for black smearing, "dull colours" and possibly bad screen coating, do you find the screen coating a problem? Just weighing up if I should try this, I did have a 32" AMVA 60hz monitor and it was decent but overall I prefer IPS as a PC monitor compared to that one, don't know how much they have improved since that.

Associate
Do you think it is faulty or do they all do this? Not seen it mentioned in any reviews?
It is a fault. I figured a Far Cry 5 image test and asked others on another forum; nobody saw vertical lines while dragging the picture.

Some people there before me also had seen it, and had been returning the monitor - after a couple of tries they got one without vertical lines.

But you'll have to rely on your right to return the product, as you can't trust some old maintenance geezer quickly taking a look to notice the fault. Heck I didn't notice it myself till my window (=3 hours of use in the Finnish branch of caseking, dunno how it is here) for a 100% refund went past.

Not a big fan of digital vibrance because as far as I know it makes all of the colours inaccurate, also 67% is quite a lot, does it require 67% DV just to get it looking similar to the PG348Q? Although the fact you are happy with the LG coming from the Asus is interesting. Most things about this monitor look good except for black smearing, "dull colours" and possibly bad screen coating, do you find the screen coating a problem? Just weighing up if I should try this, I did have a 32" AMVA 60hz monitor and it was decent but overall I prefer IPS as a PC monitor compared to that one, don't know how much they have improved since that.

I don't understand this DV people keep mentioning, at Gamma 3 for me 32GK850G was more crisp/colourful than XB271HU IPS. Maybe they are compensating for off-angle viewing with this setting? This monitor should be viewed head on at all times.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand this DV people keep mentioning, at Gamma 3 for me 32GK850G was more crisp/colourful than XB271HU IPS. Maybe they are compensating for off-angle viewing with this setting? This monitor should be viewed head on at all times.

I had a 32" AMVA around 2-3 years ago it was the Asus 60hz one, similar to the BenQ one, I did find the colours a bit dull on that, I think it is AUoptronics AMVA panels and also the screen coating on them, that makes them a bit "dull" looking compared to IPS. But this is a different / newer monitor and it might be better than the one I had. But I do find dull or washed out colours to pretty much ruin a monitor irrelevant of contrast ratios etc. Also I do not like black smearing but I doubt it is very bad on this monitor as it is the fastest VA screen.

Associate
Coming from IPS I also feared dull colors and washed out image (as I had seen on other VA monitors), but I was very pleasantly surprised. I think the colors are fantastic, and I now get what people talk about with the increased contrast and details in dark areas. Much better than the IPS. It's like there is more "depth" in the image on this screen compared to my 38" IPS UW. Colors are also very crisp in my un-professional opinion. :)

Associate
I tried another 32GK850G (January 2018 production instead of December 2017) and sadly it also was keen to show the vertical interlacing. No dead pixels or uniformity problems.

Maybe the 32GK850F will be better in that regard, I don't think I'll be trying more of these.

Soldato
I tried another 32GK850G (January 2018 production instead of December 2017) and sadly it also was keen to show the vertical interlacing. No dead pixels or uniformity problems.

Maybe the 32GK850F will be better in that regard, I don't think I'll be trying more of these.

Is this very obvious? or is it like the scan lines on X34 where they are almost invisible unless you have your nose to the screen.

Soldato
Is this very obvious? or is it like the scan lines on X34 where they are almost invisible unless you have your nose to the screen.

The fact that very few users have noticed them really addresses that question, or suggests inter-unit variation and Leopardi got unlucky twice in a row (not impossible). But sensitivity to this sort of thing varies, I'll certainly point them out in my review if I see them. I'm sensitive tot his sort of thing myself and always point them out in my reviews where applicable.

Last edited:
Associate
From around 1m distance it would become hard to notice, I pushed the monitor back to 80-90cm for usage and still it catched my eye in different gameplay situations even when not looking for it. They're not "in your face" when they appear, they camouflage pretty well to the environment, but once I saw it, I would begin to see it clearly instead of just getting that "hmm, something's maybe not right" hunch.

Sometimes it would indeed get really obvious, as in zooming with a scope in PUBG while panning around a specifically colored desert area results in ~80% of the screen being interlaced. That eventually forced me to return it, maybe for 50% of the 900€ I would let it pass.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember a lot of people nearly having a seizure about the scanlines on the X34, but in reality they are miniscule thin lines which are not visible unless you have your nose to the screen.

Associate
I remember a lot of people nearly having a seizure about the scanlines on the X34, but in reality they are miniscule thin lines which are not visible unless you have your nose to the screen.
Yeah I can totally see some people just shrugging it off, especially since it's not visible 99% of the time in dark games such as Siege. I also could have gotten unlucky twice in a row, which would be normal for me :D

But lucky or not, for me having resolution degraded to basically 720p performance during motion (in a gaming monitor that's main purpose IS motion performance) is not acceptable in a 900€ monitor.

Associate
@Matt Rigg just for the dial alone I think you should RMA it.

I still love the display, however I haven't game a lot (I started new job last week, and I'm too tired at my "family free" time at night) LOL. However the monitor is holding up well in internet browsing/office work, which is its weakest point.
Funny thing is, because of the thin frame (3" on old one) and probably due to the higher rez (1080p vs 1440p) it looks smaller than my LG 32LD450. :)

I've used the settings recommended by dw28 and I really like them to my naked unprofessional eye. I'm using gamma 3 (for deeper blacks)

http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-m...z-va-g-sync-lg-32gk850g-137.html#post27179977

Just a copy/paste from another forum I posted this about 2 weeks ago. I still use the below settings and l like them :)

So I got i1 Display Pro color-meter yesterday. Before any measurements, I've reset it digital vibrance (I had at 60%) as other suggested to get more natural color. I have installed the latest DisplayCal and did some quick and dirty measurements. I really like DisplayCal as it is very easy and according to many reviews much better than stock software that comes with the device. As suggested here I aimed to achieve 6500k and 120cd/m2 brightness. My RGB were off (I used Lim's Cave 50/48/46, brightness/contrast 20/70 and gamma 3) and after some tweaking my final RGB was 48/42/49 with brightness/contrast 22/70 and gamma 3).
This gave me the following results:

Device: 32GK850G @ 0, 0, 2560x1440
Instrument: i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display — LCD (generic)
Correction: None
Display profile: 32GK850G #1 2018-05-23 22-51 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX
Display profile luminance: 117.7 cd/m²
Display profile whitepoint: xy 0.3129 0.3284 (XYZ 95.25 100 109.21), CCT 6500K
Measured luminance: 118.9 cd/m²
Measured whitepoint: xy 0.3128 0.329 (XYZ 95.07 100 108.88), CCT 6499K
Assumed target whitepoint: 6500K daylight, xy 0.3128 0.3292 (XYZ 95.02 100 108.77)
Measured black luminance: 0.0498 cd/m²
Contrast: 2388.7:1
Testchart: verify.ti1
Simulation profile: None
Gamma mapping: N/A
Whitepoint simulation: N/A
Chromatic adaption: Bradford
Devicelink profile: None
Evaluation criteria: RGB

Associate
What is the DE?
Did you try the monitor Nirk?, I'm in the same boat and keep coming back to this display but I'm too worried about black smearing. The last VA I tried was the 100hz ultrawide C34F791 but the smear was too much for me despite looking awesome. I've read putting it to 120hz helps a lot which is fine but still haven't been able to find any video that go in depth about it.

Anyone with experience with IPS 60hz screens that has one of these and didn't like smearing in the past give some more depth about it. Really don't want to order something to find it just isn't for me. This screens offer what I want in a gaming display right now.

Associate
In the Netherlands you can send back the monitor within 8 days (when bought via the internet). Don't you have a similar law in your country? This way you could try and see for yourself if the much feared black smearing applies to your gaming experience.

Hving said that I come from DELL 2414H (IPS 60Hz) and now have this monitor. I like it.

Games played: BF1, BF4, Rainbow 6, Team Fort 2, Some RTs (COH2, Homeworld Kharak, Starcraft), Overwatch.

I like so far.

Indepth analysis? Can't help you there.

Associate
We do but it's not something I like to do though. Seems the buzz on this display has died down, can't find any new videos on it. Just be nice to see a video looking at the difficult areas that can smear in games like tress and grey areas on buildings etc so can make a better judgement.

Associate
Did anybody find out how to get into the service menu ? and if they did was there any DDC/CI settings ? when I turn my monitor off it disconnects from windows even when its not using the monitor and it messes up my multiscreen setup I have to mess around each time I want to only use my projector.

Associate
Has anyone gone from BL3200PT to this monitor?

It's perfect on paper, but I'm worried by all the complaints about blurry text (which go beyond simple pixel density).

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/lg-32gk850g/#Calibration

I have a BL3200PT at my parent's house and recently got the 850g for my girlfriend's place to have a monitor there. I can't say I've noticed a massive difference in text rendering between the two panels, but I haven't had a massive amount of time with the 850g so far. The 850g does have a tiny bit of sharpening which I don't think can be disabled which would slightly negatively effect text rendering for me (hate artificial sharpening), but other than that I think text on the 850g is mostly par for the course on a 2k 32" VA panel.

Back
Top Bottom